Voyage of the S/V Margalo

10 August 2016 | Troon, Scotland
05 August 2016 | Saint George's Channel, Irish Sea
04 August 2016 | Kinsale,Ireland
03 August 2016 | Kinsale Yacht Club Marina
02 August 2016 | 26 miles South of Old Head of Kinsale
01 August 2016 | 994 miles northeast of Horta, Faial, Azores, 155 miles southwest of Kinsale, Ireland
01 August 2016 | 994 miles northeast of Horta, Faial, Azores, 155 miles southwest of Kinsale, Ireland
01 August 2016 | 994 miles northeast of Horta, Faial, Azores, 155 miles southwest of Kinsale, Ireland
01 August 2016 | 994 miles northeast of Horta, Faial, Azores, 155 miles southwest of Kinsale, Ireland
31 July 2016 | 890.2 miles northeast of Horta, Faial, Azores, 261 miles to Kinsale, Ireland
26 July 2016 | 397 miles Northeast of Horta, Faial, Azores, 786 miles Southwest of Kinsale Ireland
25 July 2016 | 280 miles north of Horta, Faial, Azores
24 July 2016 | 166 miles Northeast of Horta, Fayal, Azores
21 July 2016 | Horta
21 July 2016 | Horta
19 July 2016 | Horta
19 July 2016 | Horta, Faial, Azores
18 July 2016 | Horta, Faial, Azores
15 July 2016 | Horta, Faial, Azores

Best Laid Plans

21 July 2016 | Horta
David
It looked like time to get going. Fair wind, gentle seas, good forecast, boat and crew ready. But it was not to be. The vane-steerer wasn't ready. We have a promise for Friday morning. Time will tell.
It was a great day to explore this little island. Faial is 67 sq miles and is populated by about 14,000 people. Most live in Horta, the rest of the island is very rural, especially in the higher lands away from the sea.
Harry took an afternoon to drive Ian and I around. We started by heading up, and up, and up! To the caldera, the cone of the volcano that formed this place, millions of years ago. From the rim, one looks down an almost vertical wall of 400 meters to the floor, now a scrubby plain with a few small marshes and ponds.
We went on to explore the highlands. Driving on curving, narrow, roads, fenced with 6 foot high Hortensia (Hydrangea) hedges, we passed through farms with small hay and corn fields and pastures, all with hedgerows of blooming Hortensia, and with splendid views out to the deep blue ocean.
Along the way, we stopped to visit Harry's girl friend, Angie, enjoyed her tidy, elegant little home on the hillside and an expresso.
Eventually we arrived at the site of the 1957 Capellinhos volcanic eruption, a result of which was that 4,000 villagers emigrated to the US with the support of then Senator John Kennedy.
Today, the land here feels like a moonscape, with no vegetation and wild lines of up thrust stratification. Beautiful, in a stark way.
Nearby is a little cafe called "Fim Do Munde" or "End of the Earth". The proprietor was born here and emigrated to Taunton, Mass, where he lived for 50 years, culminating in a successful career with Shaw's supermarkets. He's home now, and happy to be here.
We are hoping for another opportunity to get underway tomorrow evening or Saturday morning. It will all depend on boat work and the weather. I'm getting mighty itchy to be in our way, though!
That said, we are having a wonderful time and are doing well in this lovely place......
Comments
Vessel Name: Margalo
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 37, 1983
Hailing Port: West Bath, Maine
Crew: David Howes, Owen Howes, and Ian Leavitt
About: Four years ago, we determined to sail across the North Atlantic together, father, son, and good friend, all from the Brunswick, Maine, area.
Extra: We will leave Maine in mid June, sail to the Azores, and from there plan to visit Ireland and the UK. All is subject to weather, events, and our whims.
Gallery Error: Unknown Album [1:]:36265
Margalo's Photos -