S/V Mari Hal-O-Jen

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

31 December 2010
28 December 2010
23 December 2010
21 December 2010
20 December 2010
16 December 2010
15 December 2010
14 December 2010
13 December 2010
10 December 2010
09 December 2010
07 December 2010
06 December 2010
03 December 2010
01 December 2010
24 November 2010
23 November 2010

Catch the Wave

15 April 2008
Hanging by the water again today, still playing with the Shutter Speed and Aperture. I know you're probably entirely, ultimately, indubitably tired of this conversation but I just don't feel like I've mastered it yet.

"Practice makes perfection which is what we want!"


Anyone else find that the most applicable quotes come from musicals? Can you identify the musical above? Family members can call with their answer since that quote is basically our Family Motto and must be recited in a certain tone of voice, etc... Everyone else feel free to leave the answer in the comment box - impersonating Grecian Urns while answering is entirely optional.

You know, it just dawned on me that my inability to walk away from these Faucets and Buckets and SeeSaws and the particular songs I'm humming might all be related!

I'll ponder that with my second cuppa joe while we check out the day's haul of photos. Don't worry, I trimmed down the selection to a pertinent few.



Let's start with the fast shutter speed and large aperture, basically the equivalent of the Sports Setting. The water droplets bouncing off the coral rock are frozen in mid-air.



Slowing the shutter speed down a little and tightening the aperture resulted in some nice contours on the water. I don't know if you can see this small, but blown up large you can see little ripples over the rocks below the water and there is a lovely line pointing up to the bottom of the rock on shore where a wave swept in.



Next step (ha! ha!) was a longer shutter speed and a smaller aperture yet. For this one I found that I had to turn my back to the sun. The previous two were basically facing west in the afternoon and that resulted in another completely washed out photo or two (umm...22? Deleted into oblivion now.) Facing east however gave the foam edge of the wave a nice blurry action.



So let's push it just a little farther, shall we? Granted this was a larger wave so we definitely have more water action but check out the droplets leaping off the rock top!

Tempus Fugit, Ladies, Tempus Fugit...
Comments
Vessel Make/Model: 35' Coronado
Hailing Port: Boca Chica
Crew: Capt. Hal, Jennifer, and our daughter Marianna, a great photographer!
Extra: Warmest Wishes!
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/marihalojen/

S/V Mari Hal-O-Jen

Who: Capt. Hal, Jennifer, and our daughter Marianna, a great photographer!
Port: Boca Chica
Faith Arithmetic Reading Writing Exercise Beauty