S/V Mari Hal-O-Jen

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

31 December 2010
28 December 2010
23 December 2010
21 December 2010
20 December 2010
16 December 2010
15 December 2010
14 December 2010
13 December 2010
10 December 2010
09 December 2010
07 December 2010
06 December 2010
03 December 2010
01 December 2010
24 November 2010
23 November 2010

Homekeeping Meme

23 January 2007
This may end up being the week of the Meme, I am so far behind on some of these fun things! This one I was able to grab from Dawn. I love the linens I chose for the picture. Mom recently sent these to me from Colorado. Either my Grandmother or more likely one of my Great-Grandmothers made these. They represent the loveliness of homemaking through time to me.

Aprons - Y/N?

No longer but I used to wear some very old ones on the farm when I baked on a daily basis.

Baking - Favorite thing to bake:

Pizzas on the grill. Golly, they're good!

Clothesline - Y/N?

Yes, at this marina we have a clothesline and I've been known to hang lots of stuff off the lifelines too.

Donuts - Have you ever made them?

Yes! Easiest recipe is a can of pop-em biscuits, poke a hole in the center and fry. Roll or dust or frost as desired.

Every day - One homemaking thing you do every day:

Dishes, I hate them so much they received their own entry in my New Year's Resolutions. So I'm attacking them once a day.

Freezer - Do you have a separate deep freeze?

No, but what a joy it would be!

Garbage Disposal - Y/N?

I don't suppose tropical fish count, do they? LOL!

Handbook - What is your favorite homemaking resource?

I am really enjoying ShipShape again.

Ironing - Love it or hate it?

I love to iron! Do I iron? Nooo...but it is the first thing I do when in a hotel room! Some boaters run for the bathtub in a hotel, I reach for the iron and board to take care of everyone's clothes and hang them up, so crisp.

Junk drawer - Y/N? Where is it?

We have a set of three drawers beside the companionway that have desentigrated over the holidays into the junk drawers. They should hold specific things like stamps, envelopes, bug spray but were riffled through once too often and now need to be completely redone.

Kitchen: Design & Decorating?

I've posted about it here.

Love: What is your favorite part of homemaking?

I love being able to stay home and care for my family. I remember the times when my Mom was able to stay at home as some of the happiest of times. I want that for my daughter.

Mop - Y/N?

No. I use a scrub brush.

Nylons - Wash by hand or in the washing machine?

It actually took me a few readings to remember what nylons were, I was thinking some cleansing rag or ??? Then it dawned on me - oh, the things that go on your legs! I don't own any and so I don't clean any by hand or in the washer.

Oven - Do you use the window, or open the door to check?

I don't have an oven put do lift the lid on the grill to see, probably letting out heat and causing it to take longer to cook, etc...but how do you tell when something is done if you can't interact with it?

Pizza - What do you put on yours?

Mmmm...we adore grilled onions, tomatoes and bleu cheese on grilled pizzas.

Quiet - What do you do during the day when you get a quiet moment?

I'm in the midst of another magazine clear out before our move so this week I'm ripping all the recipes or crafts out of my collection of magazines before I kick them off board. Everything gets stored in a folder and once I try the recipe I'll decide if it is worth copying into my collection or not.

Recipe card box - Y/N?

Yes, for the recipes that make that second cut mentioned above. If they are really good Marianna copies them into her recipe collection.

Style of home -

35 foot Coronado. We'll start in Marianna's room which is in the bow or pointy end! She likes to tell people her room is triangular. Next is the main living area or saloon with couches or settees on each wall and a table in the middle. The next section moving toward the back is divided equally into three parts, the galley, the engine room, and the head or bathroom. We enter the cockpit by stairs over the engine room. The last room is our bedroom in the stern or back of the boat.

Tablecloths and napkins - Y/N?

No, only for special occasions like Tuesday Teatime. Though I have a great idea for a tablecloth I want to implement soon.

Under the kitchen sink - Organized or toxic wasteland?

Pretty organized, it has our trashcan, the water treatment filters and a small rectangular bin that holds replacement filters. Though if the trashcan is missed it really does turn into a toxic wasteland as the trash item works its way into the bilge and turns it into, well, toxic waste!

Vacuum - How many times per week?

Fridays and Mondays

Wash - How many loads of laundry do you do a week?

Two

X's - Do you keep a daily list of things to do and cross them off?

I was trying to wean myself off of this, but it works so very well I am really going to take it up again. And I guess I should clarify, I was trying to go from a daily random list that never was finished as things just kept getting added onto the bottom to a monthly or weekly checklist. Haven't figured that out yet so untill I do I need my daily random list back please!

Yard - Who does what?

Hmmm...yard. When seaweed blows in all the guys in the marina turn on the motors at once to "mow the yard." Hal does clean the bottom of the boat, though I clean the topsides.

Zzz's - What is your last homemaking task for the day before going to bed?

Turn off cockpit lights, rinse the red wine out of glasses.

What does homemaking look like for you? I found this quite thought provoking to complete and very fun! Consider yourself tagged, but only if you want to be!
Comments
Vessel Make/Model: 35' Coronado
Hailing Port: Boca Chica
Crew: Capt. Hal, Jennifer, and our daughter Marianna, a great photographer!
Extra: Warmest Wishes!
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/marihalojen/

S/V Mari Hal-O-Jen

Who: Capt. Hal, Jennifer, and our daughter Marianna, a great photographer!
Port: Boca Chica
Faith Arithmetic Reading Writing Exercise Beauty