S/V Mari Hal-O-Jen

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

31 December 2010
28 December 2010
23 December 2010
21 December 2010
20 December 2010
16 December 2010
15 December 2010
14 December 2010
13 December 2010
10 December 2010
09 December 2010
07 December 2010
06 December 2010
03 December 2010
01 December 2010
24 November 2010
23 November 2010

Steamed crabs and Old Bay, The land of pleasant living, Please pass the butter!

15 March 2007
Do you like the haiku for today's title???
We renewed our aquaintance with a beloved food - Golden Crabs!

Golden Crabs are a Florida Keys specialty, fished for at amazing depths, 1,140 to 2,880 feet in the Gulf of Mexico north of the Florida Keys. Very similar to other crabs in taste I suppose, the meat is delicate and sweet. However, they are the hardest things to get into. A hammer does absolutely no good in this case! Under the hard shell there is a very thick membrane that doesn't smash but needs cut if one wants to make progress and not starve to death while eating.

So we gather our largest knives for this crab feast. A quick press down along the shell, not across the shell, and the crab leg can be pried into two halves easily and the delectable portion removed and transferred to the mouth after a quick bath in the butter! Yummm...

Though I have publically proclaimed that we have completed our studies of Greece, it seems Greece is not quite finished with us! Yesterday we discussed Archimedes Number, otherwise known as Pi and tonight the Greek story of The Golden Crab in The Yellow Fairy Book by Andrew Lang would go quite nicely with this dinner!
Comments
Vessel Make/Model: 35' Coronado
Hailing Port: Boca Chica
Crew: Capt. Hal, Jennifer, and our daughter Marianna, a great photographer!
Extra: Warmest Wishes!
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/marihalojen/

S/V Mari Hal-O-Jen

Who: Capt. Hal, Jennifer, and our daughter Marianna, a great photographer!
Port: Boca Chica
Faith Arithmetic Reading Writing Exercise Beauty