S/V Mari Hal-O-Jen

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

31 December 2010
28 December 2010
23 December 2010
21 December 2010
20 December 2010
16 December 2010
15 December 2010
14 December 2010
13 December 2010
10 December 2010
09 December 2010
07 December 2010
06 December 2010
03 December 2010
01 December 2010
24 November 2010
23 November 2010

Navigating the Changes

27 August 2007
A picture that I really like taken by Marianna, photographer extraordinaire!
In this on-going discussion of Changes aboard the S/V Mari Hal-O-Jen that I've mentioned every now and again, today I want to share a major change that may be happening in my life.

I've been asked to work! Not by my husband but by MWR (Moral, Welfare and Recreation). I blew it off as a joke for the longest time, who ever heard of a company asking a person to fill the job? I thought you had to apply and fight off contenders and such. But, evidently MWR works differently than school systems do. ;) So I did eventually fill out their application as they literally placed it in my hand one day and I've now been told that they will be calling this week for the interview. So, I do not have the actual job yet, but I am in the running as it were, and as the folks I'd be working with are announcing to everyone that I'll be starting soon, I guess I now feel that I could mention it here.

So what is the position that I may be filling?

Bartender at the Navigator's.

You read that right! The little beachy bar and grill here at the marina is losing one of its bartenders as he is shipping out for Afganistan soon and I just may be replacing him.

Have I mentioned that I have never in my life held a job similar to this?

And that I'm just a tad nervous about it?

But it is really the most ideal job I could ever imagine. Great pay and tips, the shortest walk to work, it is not Duval so everyone who comes in will be either active duty or retired, Marianna can hang out on the beach or inside. No problem there as she probably spends more time at the Navigator's than Hal and I combined do! She is quite excited about the idea, and the fact that I will be the one giving her 'Free Water' now! "Lots of ice, Mom, if you please!"

I am feeling confident this week about the job, even the regular patrons have been told that I'll be the replacement so I feel like I may just have the job. What I am not confident about is the fact that I may be working during a certain football night. When I asked Hal if this was the game played with the black and white round ball or the one played with that brown oval-ish ball his eyes got a little twitchy for some reason. ;)

So I may need to run through a crash course on football! The last time I watched a game the people in the room with me were wearing orange and blue and the dude kicking the ball didn't have a shoe on even though it was snowing on the field. Oh, and the quarterback didn't own all the car lots in town. And we didn't win that big game even though we tried like, three years in a row. So it has been awhile.

I'm open for advice.
Football or Bartending advice, both will be fairly new to me!

Comments
Vessel Make/Model: 35' Coronado
Hailing Port: Boca Chica
Crew: Capt. Hal, Jennifer, and our daughter Marianna, a great photographer!
Extra: Warmest Wishes!
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/marihalojen/

S/V Mari Hal-O-Jen

Who: Capt. Hal, Jennifer, and our daughter Marianna, a great photographer!
Port: Boca Chica
Faith Arithmetic Reading Writing Exercise Beauty