S/V Mari Hal-O-Jen

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

31 December 2010
28 December 2010
23 December 2010
21 December 2010
20 December 2010
16 December 2010
15 December 2010
14 December 2010
13 December 2010
10 December 2010
09 December 2010
07 December 2010
06 December 2010
03 December 2010
01 December 2010
24 November 2010
23 November 2010

Everglades

19 September 2007
Marianna and I were super excited to take Veronica up to the Everglades last week, we were certain she would love it being the bird loving gal that she is!

We'd last visited the Everglades in late January during the height of the birding season. This trip we saw fewer birds and smaller gators and no 17 foot long bulls, thank heavens! But we heard some interesting things this time. So let's begin, shall we?



This is the start of the Anhinga Trail, nicely paved or boardwalked the entire way. I personally like it best when we get to the elevated boardwalk part as I like walking over the gators better than beside the gators. Just a personal preference. ;)



Could it have something to do with this sign perhaps?



Or the fact that this particular alligator



Could be gotten much, much closer to?

Sorry for the slight blurriness there, especially after the last post about our favorite photographer. Could have had something to do with me turning around and screeching at her as she was stretched out on her belly hanging over the boardwalk trying to get a good photo. Just maybe I startled her?



Here's my style of nature observation. A mango-like tree beside the boardwalk.



Or how about a nice lily?



Okay, so this Raven was pretty neat but not quite as neat as...



this Limpkin! This is the first time I've seen one and I'd love to hear its call. It was one of the featured bird songs that was left in the old Tarzan shows that were filmed in Florida. You can hear the call here on Cornell's All About Birds site.

Even though we didn't hear the Limpkin call we did hear the alligators' mating calls, very deep grunting noises and as we were leaving the boardwalk for the paved trail we heard baby gators chirping!

So cool.

Comments
Vessel Make/Model: 35' Coronado
Hailing Port: Boca Chica
Crew: Capt. Hal, Jennifer, and our daughter Marianna, a great photographer!
Extra: Warmest Wishes!
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/marihalojen/

S/V Mari Hal-O-Jen

Who: Capt. Hal, Jennifer, and our daughter Marianna, a great photographer!
Port: Boca Chica
Faith Arithmetic Reading Writing Exercise Beauty