The Sailabout of Mauliola

WWW.FASTCAT65.COM

18 October 2016 | Nuku Hiva
11 October 2016 | Fatu Hiva, Marquesas
08 October 2016 | Makemo
06 October 2016 | Tahanea
25 September 2016 | Rotoava, Fakarava
25 September 2016 | Rotoava, Fakarava
05 September 2016 | Fakarava
05 September 2016 | Fakarava
01 September 2016 | Fakarava, North Pass.
30 August 2016 | Fakarava, south pass
22 August 2016 | Tahiti
23 October 2015 | Port Denarau
05 October 2015 | Fakarava, south pass
05 October 2015 | Vurolevu Island
26 September 2015 | Matasawalevu Bay
24 September 2015 | Vunisea, Kadavu
06 September 2015 | Fulaga, Fiji
06 September 2015 | Fulaga, Fiji
06 September 2015 | Fulaga, Fiji
04 September 2015 | Susui Island

Maintenance in Paradise

25 September 2016 | Rotoava, Fakarava
C. Farias/overcast/beautiful
We are back to the village of Rotoava where we have internet. We anchored in the same spot as last time as we knew that we could get a signal from the village. The bloody wind finally lost steam, after 3 weeks of blowing hard, and we could finally have 2 days of calm, flat water to get the jib sail down to do some repairs. Felipe did a super job of fixing it and by the end of the day we had the sail up. But when the sail was up we noticed a fraying in the bottom part of the sail and had to bring it down again. Due to the time, we decided to finish the work next day. Luck was on our side, and the wind was actually lighter than the prior day and it was easy to hoist the jib up again. Today the wind is back but much less, about 17 knots. It is nice to keep things cool.
I don't know who coined the phrase that states that cruising is doing maintenance in exotic places. it is so so true. There is always something to be repaired, checked, cleaned, polished, adjusted, oiled, charged, tightened, logged, and planned. We are so glad to have Felipe to help. It is amazing to see how much he has learned in such a short time.
A few days ago we left the spectacular turquoise lagoon where we tried to hide from the wind and motored to Hirifa, just 7 miles away, looking for protection from the wind. We motored through uncharted waters, except for a few markers on the bigger reefs, and had to keep our eyes on the water at all times to spot the "boat eating reefs" that lurk everywhere. I was very nervous and what a relief when we got to Hirifa without a scratch. And as a reward the bottom was sandy, soft white sand, lovely sand. I could have kissed that sand. One of the most harried thing in these atoll is to anchor. The bottom is rocky and almost always your anchor gets snagged, wrapped around the rocks which makes the retrieval of your anchor a job you hate to do. Sometimes we have to dive to help with the process. We only saw two houses on the shore. One of them had 2 very large pigs, a dog, a cat, and a little cafe on the shore, Hirifa snack. We didn't see a soul there and my craving for a cold ginger ale couldn't be fulfilled. But the anchorage was quiet, more protected and sandy. Yeeeey.
Next day, we moved on 17 miles north to anchor by a small pension named Pakokota. We were told that we could get good protection to get our sail down and that there was internet. Neither one was quite good enough. So, next day, again we lifted anchor. And the bottom was sandy!!!! Sweet.
We had a lovely motor sail to Rotoava, via the near shore channel, which is well marked. I was surprised to see al the new homes, some very chic, and new small hotels, and small vacation rental places along the shore. The sleepy, out of way Fakarava is no more.
Now I understand why the provisions in the stores is so much better than when we came in 2012. We found a variet of fresh fruit and vegetables that it was not available then (we could only buy cabbage, onions, carrots and pumplemousse). Having said that, the supply shop didn't come this week and the store shelves are empty of fresh stuff. They even ran out of ice cream. So did we. My Aloha to you all and until next post.
Comments
Vessel Name: Mauliola
Vessel Make/Model: Morrelli&Melvin Custom 65' Catamaran
Hailing Port: Hawaii
Crew: Jerry King and Conceicao Farias, owners
About: Conceicao is a Brazilian, Hawaiian by heart, wahine (girl). Conceicao e uma Brasileira, Cearence, Hawaiana de coracao. Jerry is from California, an old Hobie cat sailor, the man with a vision and a mission.
Extra: Our plans: to do a sailabout and come out in the other side of the seas. The South Pacific is our first stop.
Home Page: Https://www.fastcat65.com
Mauliola's Photos - Main
Fiji 2015
7 Photos
Created 16 August 2015
32 Photos
Created 12 June 2015
8 Photos
Created 8 July 2012
3 Photos
Created 24 April 2012