The Sailabout of Mauliola

WWW.FASTCAT65.COM

18 October 2016 | Nuku Hiva
11 October 2016 | Fatu Hiva, Marquesas
08 October 2016 | Makemo
06 October 2016 | Tahanea
25 September 2016 | Rotoava, Fakarava
25 September 2016 | Rotoava, Fakarava
05 September 2016 | Fakarava
05 September 2016 | Fakarava
01 September 2016 | Fakarava, North Pass.
30 August 2016 | Fakarava, south pass
22 August 2016 | Tahiti
23 October 2015 | Port Denarau
05 October 2015 | Fakarava, south pass
05 October 2015 | Vurolevu Island
26 September 2015 | Matasawalevu Bay
24 September 2015 | Vunisea, Kadavu
06 September 2015 | Fulaga, Fiji
06 September 2015 | Fulaga, Fiji
06 September 2015 | Fulaga, Fiji
04 September 2015 | Susui Island

Nadi

23 October 2015 | Port Denarau
C. Farias/very hot weather
Bula. We are back to the modern work and its conveniences and inconveniences. Culture shock indeed. We have done quite a lot since we left Kadavu Island, including ripping the reacher sail while under way with winds blowing from 22 to 38 knots. The seas were from behind which made the short passage not too bad. In Nadi we picked up our fried Jamie who stayed with us for a short visit.
We spent a few days in Navadra Island, a small unihabited one, but very beautiful. The waters were so much warmer than everywhere else we been here. I said goodbye to the layers of wet suits and could stay in the water as long as I wanted without getting cold. Hurray. The reef condition is very poor but there was a large amount of fish. The wather forecast changed and a tropical stom came down on us bringing very gusty wnds but not much rain with it. The storm passed mostly to the west of us. However, we went to Waya Island to get some protection from the storm in case it strengthened. Waya is a beautiful island with high peaks which reminded us of the Marquesas. We did our sevusevu, the briefest one, and soon after we met many of te villagers under a covered area. They had trinkets to sell, which to our disappointment were not made by them, except for the post cards made out of tapa cloth. The stuff was all store bought probably all made in China. The reef in the south side of Waya is also in very poor condition. I saw a large number of crown of torns, the starfish that kills the coral. I wish I knew what is causing so much destruciion to the reefs here. Is the starfish doing it all?
We have been super busy getting the boat ready for the crossing to NZ. We really like Fiji and will leave with many wonderful memories and many new friends in our hearts. Jerry and the crew will be sailing Mauliola to Aotearoa and I will be flying home. Sotatale and until next post.
Comments
Vessel Name: Mauliola
Vessel Make/Model: Morrelli&Melvin Custom 65' Catamaran
Hailing Port: Hawaii
Crew: Jerry King and Conceicao Farias, owners
About: Conceicao is a Brazilian, Hawaiian by heart, wahine (girl). Conceicao e uma Brasileira, Cearence, Hawaiana de coracao. Jerry is from California, an old Hobie cat sailor, the man with a vision and a mission.
Extra: Our plans: to do a sailabout and come out in the other side of the seas. The South Pacific is our first stop.
Home Page: Https://www.fastcat65.com
Mauliola's Photos - Main
Fiji 2015
7 Photos
Created 16 August 2015
32 Photos
Created 12 June 2015
8 Photos
Created 8 July 2012
3 Photos
Created 24 April 2012