Adventures of May

Follow the adventures of our Malo 36 since we bought her in August 2007

02 August 2017 | 16.20.15N 27.02.10W
14 July 2016
07 July 2016
01 July 2016
17 January 2016
02 October 2015
13 September 2015
10 September 2015
08 September 2015
03 September 2015
29 August 2015 | Algarve and Andalucia
21 July 2015 | Lagos
26 June 2015 | Lagos
23 June 2015 | Lagos
23 June 2015 | Lagos
21 June 2015 | Sines
18 June 2015 | Oeiras

Plymouth 'Towards' Bayona

06 June 2015 | Pavoa de Varzim
Pauline
A delay in the start of rally by three days due to bad weather gave us time to look around Plymouth and get to know some of the others on the rally. We had visits from Pat, Luke and Phil later, who was keeping us updated on the weather to follow. Bob and Liz came too and Emily and Barney, our future son-in-law. John joined us and could have jumped ship in preference for a larger vessel with mod cons, but chose to stay with us.

After the safety inspection, some of us had to make a few adjustments or additions, but nothing major. We had two rally suppers in the yacht club and rugby club and drinks on Chanto, a beautiful Bowman 48, owned by Peter and Nicky who plan to do a world cruise.

Wednesday morning we rose bright and early with excitement and aprehension for the start at 07.00hrs. Tony the harbourmaster waved us off and we headed for the start line to get in position. There was barely a puff of wind compared to the hooley that blew whilst we were in the marina waiting for the wind to drop. Its either too much or not enough.

We were second from last to start, with Chanto behind us (who incidently came in first). We watched the big boats get further away and stayed with Chanto and Kinni Rossi, who took the west route like us around Ushant TSS but unfortunately had to go into Brest. We sailed for the first seven hours, then motorsailed overnight until 5am when we had enough wind to cut the engine and fill the sails again. We hadn't slept well the previous two nights in Mayflower marina with the strong winds rocking the boats from side to side, so I was keen to start breaks after supper and get as much sleep as possible. Sleeping on a small moving yacht can be a difficult task even if you are tired.

The next day was uneventful and we motored alot. On friday evening between about 21.30 and 22.00 we had a large pod of dolphins follow us to play in the bow wave. That was such a lovely sight and you could also hear them communicating with each other. Then in the distance we could see alot more coming to join them. After taking lots of pictures and video footage, we had to move on to something else.

Saturday afternoon the wind increased to a F6 NE with waves to match but all was still well. We had ports of refuge in mind if things got worse but we were too far west to make for them and it would have meant beating to windward on a fine reach.
On we went with the wind increading to a F7 to 8 and waves breaking over the stern of the boat.

It was hard helming so we did half an hour each while the other two looked out for rogue waves that could be a problem. The wind speed was up to 40 knots with no sign of abating. Then a large wave came and knocked John off his feet at the helm, followed by another that knocked the boat over on its side, but she's a strong old girl, so she came right back up. I was down below at the time and holding on, so I wasn't thrown to the other side with force, but it was strange to be looking down at the chart table sideways on.

We were sailing with three reefs in the mainsail so after the knockdown we decided to drop all the sail and use the engine to maintaine steerage, however we were still making 6 knots and going further out. We couldn't turn to get closer to Finisterre due to the risk of a further knockdown.

It was then that Sean decided to stream the series drogue, batten down the hatches and sit it out. This heavy bit of kit had to be lifted out of the bottom of the cockpit locker and Sean did a brilliant job doing this in the conditions we were under with John helping him and me at the helm. Once attached to the cleats, it was deployed and did the job of slowing us down so we could take some refuge in the boat away from the crashing waves. It was such a relief to close the hatch and hide from the horrible noise and peril of the wind and waves.

We sent regular securite messages on channel 16 to say that we were on a sea anchor and drifting slowly in a SW direction at a rate of 1.5 to 2 knots. We were still being bashed by the waves, some of which came over the stern of the boat with such force that water came in under the hatch. After pumping the bilges and mopping up before the next wave hit, all we could do was sit, wait and wonder how long it would last for.

I have never been more scared in all my life. My knees and hands were tremnbling and I felt sick. I really would like to grow old and be around for by children and grandchildren if I'm lucky enough to have them. As time went on we realised that our boat was strong enough to take this bashing......
To be continued.......



Comments
Vessel Name: May
Vessel Make/Model: Malo 36
Hailing Port: Walton-on-the-Naze Essex England
Crew: Sean & Pauline
About: Welcome to our blog. We are a Fireman and Nurse team (well untill 16th September 2009) when I hope to retire after 30 years service! We graduated to our Malo 36 after a great time in a 4 way syndicate on a Sadler 32 Niobe.
Extra: We bought our boat in Sweden, a one owner Malo 36 , the trip back was 'interesting' to say the least.
May's Photos - Main
Pictures of our trip with WCC to portugal
85 Photos
Created 18 May 2015
More pictures of our circumnavigation of GB
142 Photos
Created 21 August 2010
Pictures from our round GB and Ireland circumnavigation in 2010
127 Photos
Created 21 August 2010
More pics of our GB & Eire circumnavigation
116 Photos
Created 11 June 2010
Pictures of our circumnavigation
77 Photos
Created 22 April 2010