Adventures of May

Follow the adventures of our Malo 36 since we bought her in August 2007

02 August 2017 | 16.20.15N 27.02.10W
14 July 2016
07 July 2016
01 July 2016
17 January 2016
02 October 2015
13 September 2015
10 September 2015
08 September 2015
03 September 2015
29 August 2015 | Algarve and Andalucia
21 July 2015 | Lagos
26 June 2015 | Lagos
23 June 2015 | Lagos
23 June 2015 | Lagos
21 June 2015 | Sines
18 June 2015 | Oeiras

Emily and Nicky in Lagos

21 July 2015 | Lagos
Sean / Pauline
We have been having a great time here so far. Its been easy sailing between here and Portimao. Spending days at anchor and relaxing at the beach or by the pool in the marina.

Emily, Barney Nicky and Dave came out for five days and stayed in the marina club hotel. We usually started the day with breakfast on the boat before heading off. We went out to the grottos where we anchored then swam ashore and back to the boat for lunch. Whilst sailing back, Sean decided to do a sneaky man overboard exercise using a fender tied to a bucket. He said I was the skipper and the engine was stuffed so we had to sail back and retrieve the MOB. Initially he didn't help at all.

Nicky was given the job of pointing to the person (sorry, bucket and fender) so we didn't lose sight of it. It's amazing how quickly you sail away from it and even small waves make it difficult to sight in the water. Emily was very good at helping me organise the turnaround. After several attempts and Sean's help, we managed to retrieve it with a boat hook. Had it been a real casualty in cold water, they would probably be hypothermic by the time we got back to them.

The next day Nicky's friends Kerry and Tom came to meet us in the marina as they were on a surfing holiday in nearby Sagres. We had a lazy day which included lunch by the pool and dinner in town. The next day all eight of us sailed to the anchorage in Portimao and took the dinghy ashore for lunch in the lovely tropical looking beach bar called Kalu. They make great sangria and delicious food. We met Liz and Dave on the beach and they joined us too.

After a leisurely lunch, the six "youngsters" had a swimming race back to the boat and we took the dinghy back. The wind had picked up a lot so we got going quickly. I was a bit anxious at first with six extra people on board and most of them relative novices. The sky had turned grey and squally looking, which is unusual. Even Liz and Dave were concerned for us when they saw us leave, but we were fine and had an exhilarating sail back to Lagos.

It was so nice spending time with the kids and when the day came for them to fly home, we felt sad, so decided to have another relaxing day reading by the pool with the occasional swim to cool down.

(See photo gallery for pictures)


Comments
Vessel Name: May
Vessel Make/Model: Malo 36
Hailing Port: Walton-on-the-Naze Essex England
Crew: Sean & Pauline
About: Welcome to our blog. We are a Fireman and Nurse team (well untill 16th September 2009) when I hope to retire after 30 years service! We graduated to our Malo 36 after a great time in a 4 way syndicate on a Sadler 32 Niobe.
Extra: We bought our boat in Sweden, a one owner Malo 36 , the trip back was 'interesting' to say the least.
May's Photos - Main
Pictures of our trip with WCC to portugal
85 Photos
Created 18 May 2015
More pictures of our circumnavigation of GB
142 Photos
Created 21 August 2010
Pictures from our round GB and Ireland circumnavigation in 2010
127 Photos
Created 21 August 2010
More pics of our GB & Eire circumnavigation
116 Photos
Created 11 June 2010
Pictures of our circumnavigation
77 Photos
Created 22 April 2010