Jeff & Susan's Adventure II

14 May 2013 | Little Grand Cay
06 May 2013 | Green Turtle Cay
30 April 2013 | Marsh Harbor
24 April 2013 | Marsh Harbor
21 April 2013 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
11 April 2013 | Hatchet Bay, Eleuthera
16 March 2013 | Volleyball Beach, Georgetown, Exumas
25 February 2013
19 February 2013 | Nassau, Bahamas
16 February 2013 | Nassau, Bahamas
24 January 2013 | Wellington, FL
19 December 2012 | Home
04 December 2012 | Cocoa, FL
28 November 2012 | St. Augustine, FL
27 November 2012 | St. Augustine, FL
22 November 2012 | St. Mary's Georgia
19 November 2012 | St. Simon's, GA
14 November 2012 | Hilton Head Island
03 November 2012 | Onslow Beach Bride, NC
29 October 2012 | Dowry Creek, Belhaven, NC

Hope Town to Marsh Harbor

24 April 2013 | Marsh Harbor
Dry and sunny, light breeze
April 14 through April 20
Little Harbor was PERFECT: no heeling, 6+ knots and we caught a fish! Well, a barracuda; it was a good 2 feet long and nice and silvery, but they are the biggest bearers of ciguatera, a bacterial infection that is really not good for humans. So, we had to get rid of it. The teeth were impressive! Entering through Little Harbor Bar was no big deal, and we anchored at Lynyrd Cay, a beautiful shallow anchorage with good shelling beaches. We took a day trip to Little Harbor itself, home to the famous Pete’s Pub and the brass foundry/shop. We had been here last trip and not much changed, but the restaurant was expanded. The food was terrific but much pricier than 9 years ago. It was very still in the harbor so we went back to a new spot at Lynyrd.
We were anxious to snorkel at the Sandy Cay National Park moorings, but just like our last trip it was too rolly for snorkeling. We anchored off Tilloo Cay and took a nice walk and looked for shells. Next morning we sailed on jib only up to Hope Town and got a mooring. We reconnected with our friends Bob and Brenda on Pandora.
Hope Town is very little different from our last visit except for the new Hope Town Inn and Marina. We had stayed at this place and it was primitive at best. Now it is gorgeous! Beautiful suites, which we toured thanks to a guest we met; he turned out to be from North Attleboro and knew 2 guys Jeff worked with back in the ‘80s! There are 2 pools, a beach bar, restaurant, etc. and a very attentive staff. If you buy a Coke, you can use the facilities; what a deal!!
We rented a golf cart with Bob and Brenda and toured Elbow Cay including Tahiti Beach, White Sound and another new resort, Firefly. This place had a great sunset viewing spot so we returned for dinner. The clouds blocked the green flash, but it was still a beautiful evening. I took lots of long walks through the village and out to the point. This place has lots of residents and visitors but the bank is only open 1 day a week as well as our friends at Batelco. We attended Mass under the cork tree at the library on the dock. Very spiritual site for prayer. The priest has to come over on the ferry from Marsh Harbor. Since we needed money, water and the phone fix, we headed out Sunday afternoon for the quick trip to Marsh Harbor where we anchored.
Comments
Vessel Name: Meltemi
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 36 MKII
Hailing Port: Wickford, RI
Crew: Jeff & Susan Mahall

Who: Jeff & Susan Mahall
Port: Wickford, RI