Jeff & Susan's Adventure II

14 May 2013 | Little Grand Cay
06 May 2013 | Green Turtle Cay
30 April 2013 | Marsh Harbor
24 April 2013 | Marsh Harbor
21 April 2013 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
11 April 2013 | Hatchet Bay, Eleuthera
16 March 2013 | Volleyball Beach, Georgetown, Exumas
25 February 2013
19 February 2013 | Nassau, Bahamas
16 February 2013 | Nassau, Bahamas
24 January 2013 | Wellington, FL
19 December 2012 | Home
04 December 2012 | Cocoa, FL
28 November 2012 | St. Augustine, FL
27 November 2012 | St. Augustine, FL
22 November 2012 | St. Mary's Georgia
19 November 2012 | St. Simon's, GA
14 November 2012 | Hilton Head Island
03 November 2012 | Onslow Beach Bride, NC
29 October 2012 | Dowry Creek, Belhaven, NC

Getting Started

14 October 2012 | Indian Creek VA
Hello all and welcome to the first entry in the log of S/V Meltemi. We are a little late in getting started with this so will try to give a quick summary of events to date.
On September 6 (one day late waiting for better weather) we departed Allen Harbor with a destination of Cape May, NJ. Helping us on this leg of the trip are college friends Bob Krapfel and Gabriella Belli and Bob Stanich a long time sailing friend. The weather was pretty benign so we wound up traveling most of the 40 hours and 237 miles under power. I think we had only one 1-1/2 hour period under sail. Fortunately the rest of this trip the wind shifted and we were actually able to become a sail boat. Food along the way provided by Edie Stanich and Susan's premade stews. We sure didn't lack for good eats.
Arrived Cape May at Midnight the next day and a weary crew entered the harbor to anchor off the USCG training facility. Awoke the next morning to the soothing tune of reveille and prepared to depart for the Chesapeake via Delaware Bay. The sail that day was one of the best we ever had. The tide was heading North and the winds were 15 - 20 Kts out of the Southwest. Pretty much averaged 8 Kts for the less than 8 hour trip to Delaware City at the beginning of the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal and the marina operator couldn't believe it when we arrived so far ahead of plan. Seems most people hit the bay with either an opposing wind or current and never have anything good to say about their trip. For those of you who may ever take a trip like this don't miss Delaware City Marina. The facilities are first rate and the personnel could not have been nicer or more helpful.
We all voted to take a lay day here to get a hot shower, try out a local restaurant, explore the town and get a real night's rest. Fortunately Ryan and his then fiancé Chrissy were returning home to RI from a short vacation on the outer banks so they and Susan's brother Gary came to visit for the day and enjoy a good seafood dinner and Dark and Stormys in the cockpit.
First thing on Monday AM it was off through the canal and on down the Chesapeake. This was another good dayto be a sailboat with winds now from the Northwest all the way to our next destination, Fairlee Creek. This time it was 42 miles in less than 7 hours, not bad at all. After another restful night and a long walk to stretch our legs we left with a destination of Bob and Gabriella's haunts, the Magothy River just north of Annapolis. Many thanks to Helena and Mike Dixon, friends of ours from my old wire and cable days, for letting Meltemi rest at their dock while we returned home for Ryan's and Chrissy's wedding. Wish you could all see what a great place the Dixon's have. Waterfront home on the Magothy, wonderful hospitality, deep water dock with all the amenities and a view to match any we have ever seen.
This initial leg of the trip was great to have spent with good friends and fortunately good weather. We left RI with 5 people and arrived with 5 all in good shape. Many thanks to Bob, Gabriella and Bob. Your help and company was really appreciated and very much enjoyed.
So on 9/12 Bob Stanich and we rented a car and drove back to RI. What took 50 on the water hours was covered in only 7 hours by car. Still have to stay we liked the boat trip more than the car.
Needless to say Ryan and Chrissy threw one great party. Everyone had a super time enjoying each other's company, dancing to a live band and feasting on excellent food. Susan and I are now instant Grandparents and enjoying every bit of it. We are certainly going to miss them a lot but with Skype and cell phones we will be able to keep in touch.
After the wedding Susan and I rented another car and headed back to Maryland to continue the journey.
We'll pick up from there on the next installment.
Comments
Vessel Name: Meltemi
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 36 MKII
Hailing Port: Wickford, RI
Crew: Jeff & Susan Mahall

Who: Jeff & Susan Mahall
Port: Wickford, RI