Jeff & Susan's Adventure II

14 May 2013 | Little Grand Cay
06 May 2013 | Green Turtle Cay
30 April 2013 | Marsh Harbor
24 April 2013 | Marsh Harbor
21 April 2013 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
11 April 2013 | Hatchet Bay, Eleuthera
16 March 2013 | Volleyball Beach, Georgetown, Exumas
25 February 2013
19 February 2013 | Nassau, Bahamas
16 February 2013 | Nassau, Bahamas
24 January 2013 | Wellington, FL
19 December 2012 | Home
04 December 2012 | Cocoa, FL
28 November 2012 | St. Augustine, FL
27 November 2012 | St. Augustine, FL
22 November 2012 | St. Mary's Georgia
19 November 2012 | St. Simon's, GA
14 November 2012 | Hilton Head Island
03 November 2012 | Onslow Beach Bride, NC
29 October 2012 | Dowry Creek, Belhaven, NC

OOPs-Lost Blog

19 November 2012 | St. Simon's, GA
Susan/Overcast, sun predicted!
So sorry about the post from 11/14--I wrote a wonderful story, but somehow, it got lost. Those who know me well, understand-right?

I hesitate to reconstruct that post, so I'll begin at Beaufort, SC. Anchored off the city dock with LOTs of current--we could hear the water sloshing thru the anchor chain links! It is a beautiful small town with original pre-bellum homes and lots of art galleries. Crummy weather nixed a horse drawn tour, but we did lots of walking.

Pete and Stephanie from SSCA came over for a chat and we invited them back for cocktails. They have been out for 10 years and still love it. They are Commodores with the club and shared lots of good info. The "single side band" debate is on again! They really recommend it and offered a less costly approach.

Met with Cathy and Terry Connor, friends from Medfield,MA who retired here.
We suggested Gullah food for lunch and Cathy hesitated. When asked why, she said they keep strange hours; we opted to go anyway and when we got to Gullah Grub on St. Helenas Island, it was closed though it was supposed to be open. Local knowledge! Continued touring the low country islands and had lunch at a local shrimp shack. They also showed us their home which was lovely and just right.

After Beaufort our next bigstop was Savannah, GA. Opted to stay out of the city at Thunderbolt Marina. It was okay, but a small hassle getting in/out of town. Cabbed in to pick up mail and a prescription and went to the Savannah Museum to get the lay of the land. On Friday Jeff celebrated his 65th birthday! We took a trolley tour which was very good and had an elegant lunch at the Pink House (sat right next to the gas fireplace and warmed up). The riverfront was a disappointment--VERY touristy- but walking around the city "squares" was gorgeous.

A stalled front with northerly winds and big waves kept us inside the ICW again. Going thru the marshes, sounds and creeks of Georgia was quite pretty and not nearly as shallow as we dreaded. We lucked out having 2 high tides while traveling and the sole low tide was during the night. Gots lots of push in many sections. Actually had a warm, sunny trip on Sunday.
Comments
Vessel Name: Meltemi
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 36 MKII
Hailing Port: Wickford, RI
Crew: Jeff & Susan Mahall

Who: Jeff & Susan Mahall
Port: Wickford, RI