Sail Meridian

The beginning of our Grand Adventure... or folly... we'll let you know!

20 January 2010 | Brisbane, Australia
14 January 2010 | Brisbane, Australia
24 December 2009 | Brisbane, Australia
12 December 2009 | underway
22 November 2009 | Noumea, New Caledonia
14 November 2009 | Noumea, New Caledonia
07 November 2009 | Ile Uere, New Caledonia
05 November 2009 | Espirito Santo, Vanuatu
21 October 2009 | Aore Island, Vanuatu
19 October 2009 | Peterson Bay, Espirito Santo
09 October 2009 | Espirito Santo
25 September 2009 | Tanna, Vanuatu
11 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Viti Levu, Fiji
13 August 2009 | Navadra, Fiji
24 July 2009 | Malolo Lailai, Fiji
29 June 2009 | Yadua Island, Fiji
26 June 2009 | Yadua Island, Fiji
10 June 2009 | Savusavu, Fiji
27 May 2009
19 May 2009 | Whangamumu, New Zealand

Leaving Fakarava

17 June 2008 | Underway to Papeete
Nancy
We stayed in Fakarava a bit longer than we originally intended due to weather. The grib files were predicting 25 knots of wind and better, which by itself is not that big a deal but the seas were predicted to be 12-14 feet at 6 seconds. That's called uncomfortable. Really uncomfortable.

So we waited. And while we were waiting we arranged to have dinner at the pension in Tetamanu, right there on the pass. The "dining room" for the pension is right over the water and reef, you can see colorful reef fish and not-so-colorful sharks swim under the floor. Annabelle and her husband Sanse run the pension and if you give them a bit of notice they will prepare a spectacular dinner for you. Because there were so many of us (ourselves, Elusive, Blue Plains Drifter, and Baraka) the spread was quite impressive: coconut curried chicken, freshly caught fried parrot fish, pasta, rice and a lovely salad. And coconut pie for dessert. Annabelle was a lovely hostess and earned big points with us when she immediately recruited Maddie to help with the "bookkeeping"- complete with calculator. Maddie was in her element!

And then we waited some more. Finally we decided to move back up to the northern anchorage to wait for the weather to improve. The northern anchorage offered a couple of advantages: first, it has a store so we could get some more supplies (can you say "baguette"?) and second, the northern pass is much wider and deeper then the southern one so our time of departure isn't quite so critically tied to the tide.

Finally the swell period lengthened and the wind lightened up a bit so headed out for the 240 mile passage to Papeete, Tahiti.
Comments
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 48CC
Hailing Port: Napa, CA