Cruising with s/v "Dream Chaser"....and still chasing the dream....since 2004.

Sharing the love we have for this lifestyle with stories full of fun and adventure.

16 January 2024
01 January 2019 | Little Harbor, Peter Island BVI
06 October 2017 | Dream Chaser in Hurricane Storage
12 February 2017 | The Highlands of Barbuda
12 February 2017 | Mangroves of Codrington Lagoon, Barbuda
12 February 2017 | Mangroves of Codrington Lagoon, Barbuda
12 February 2017 | Highlands of Barbuda
09 February 2017 | Cocoa Beach, Barbuda
09 February 2017 | Cocoa Beach, Barbuda
09 February 2017 | Codrington, Barbuda
07 February 2017 | Cocoa Point Beach and Anchorage, Barbuda
07 February 2017 | Cocoa Point Anchorage, Barbuda
07 February 2017 | Cocoa Beach Anchorage, Barbuda
04 February 2017 | In Codrington at Byron's Cafe, Barbuda
04 February 2017 | Barbuda's South Coast
04 February 2017 | Condrington Waterfront
04 February 2017 | Cocoa Beach aka Diana, Princess of Wales, Beach, Barbuda
03 February 2017 | Near Cocoa Point, Barbuda
02 February 2017 | Coral Beach, Barbuda
02 February 2017 | At Uncle Roddy's

Picture Perfect: The Leeward Islands

23 April 2007 | Cruising the Leeward Islands March 15-April 23rd:
Anquilla, Sint Maarten & St. Martin, St. Barts (St. Bathelemy), Statia (St. Eustatius), St. Kitts (St. Christopher), Nevis, & Antigua
We caught this beautiful Mahi-Mahi while sailing on our passage from Nevis to Antigua.

Greetings friends and family from Antigua in the Leeward Islands of the Eastern Caribbean. We are safe, well and having a wonderful time. Our goal since we made the trip from Venezuela has been to spend more time in the islands that we didn't spend time in last season.

But first of all, we wanted to mention that we had our first guests onboard for a whirlwind week of cruising some of the islands. They are good friends Brad and Marilyn who have a sailboat on Lake Pepin, our old stomping grounds in Lake City, MN. They joined us in St. Martin and we covered a lot of water in a weeks time and packed in many, many activities. We sailed to Statia and dove with a dive company there. We also hiked up to the rim of the dormant Quill Volcano on Statia, then sailed to St. Barts for scuba diving and watching the mega yacht "Bucket Race". We caught a fish while underway, sailed into squalls, and made a dive at Isle Fourche to name just a few of our activities. They got a taste of the true cruising life, like meeting some of our cruising friends at the St. Martin Yacht club, hoisting the dinghy every night to prevent it from being stolen, dining '"street side" in Grand Case, having several "rolly" uncomfortable nights sleep, and last but not least not having much time to sleep, as a cruisers life begins bright and early with coffee at 7am!

Since then we have made stops in St. Kitts and Nevis to do a little island touring and biking. We have mainly been traveling by ourselves but we arrived in Antigua over a week ago to catch up with sailing friends and to watch the Annual Classic Sailboat Regatta. It is a spectacular sight to see the gaffed rigged, wooden masted, (some all-wooden) classic sailing yachts of all sizes up to 100 feet, and they are all in perfect mint condition.

Yesterday, we spotted what we believe to be humpback whales. We were sailing from Green Island off of Antigua back to Falmouth Harbor when we saw a huge splash about a 1/2 mile off our port bow. They were huge, black, with white undersides and probably 30-40 feet. They were breaching, spouting and splashing their tales. One actually surfaced directly in front of us as were sailing along and came up behind the boat and breached only about 4 boat lengths behind us. Unfortunetly we didn't have the camera out becuase it was a little rough!

We don't have much else to report, but here are just a few pictures we thought you might enjoy.

Cheeseburgers in Paradise! Jimmy Buffett was live in concert on the island of Anquilla March 24th. The venue was small, just a couple thousand crazy parrotheads, plus Jimmy was making a music video.




Lake City sailing friends Brad & Marilyn of Minnepaolis flew to St. Martin for a whirlwind-week long sailing adventure onboard Dream Chaser.



Lucia "hanging out" on top of our dive gear.




Looking out over Anse Columbier anchorage at St. Barts






Comments
Vessel Name: Dream Chaser
Vessel Make/Model: 2014 Fontaine Pajot Helia 44 (FKA a 1981 Bristol 45.5)
Hailing Port: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Crew: Shane, Sara & Lucia
About:
Shane was born in Sioux Falls, South Dakota in 1960. Shane learned to sail on Lake Okoboji, Iowa in 1973 aboard s/v "Cactus Queen", a Venture 222 made by McGregor and owned by his father. About the same time, he learned to scuba dive, and his fascination with all things aquatic began in earnest. [...]
Extra:
Ok, so here's the part you've all been waiting for. The reason why we are doing this! Both of us had been pursuing our careers for over 20 years and we do not have any children. Since we have not had to pay or save for those enormous expenses that sometimes children can bring, we have been [...]