Cruising with s/v "Dream Chaser"....and still chasing the dream....since 2004.

Sharing the love we have for this lifestyle with stories full of fun and adventure.

16 January 2024
01 January 2019 | Little Harbor, Peter Island BVI
06 October 2017 | Dream Chaser in Hurricane Storage
12 February 2017 | The Highlands of Barbuda
12 February 2017 | Mangroves of Codrington Lagoon, Barbuda
12 February 2017 | Mangroves of Codrington Lagoon, Barbuda
12 February 2017 | Highlands of Barbuda
09 February 2017 | Cocoa Beach, Barbuda
09 February 2017 | Cocoa Beach, Barbuda
09 February 2017 | Codrington, Barbuda
07 February 2017 | Cocoa Point Beach and Anchorage, Barbuda
07 February 2017 | Cocoa Point Anchorage, Barbuda
07 February 2017 | Cocoa Beach Anchorage, Barbuda
04 February 2017 | In Codrington at Byron's Cafe, Barbuda
04 February 2017 | Barbuda's South Coast
04 February 2017 | Condrington Waterfront
04 February 2017 | Cocoa Beach aka Diana, Princess of Wales, Beach, Barbuda
03 February 2017 | Near Cocoa Point, Barbuda
02 February 2017 | Coral Beach, Barbuda
02 February 2017 | At Uncle Roddy's

Northern Florida

28 April 2014
Leg 2: Cape Canaeral to Fernandina Beach-Amelia, Island, Florida
Bert & Shane

Our motor sail from Cape Canaveral on Saturday, April 26 overnight to Fernandina Beach, Florida was pretty uneventful. In fact, it was almost too boring! There was very little wind and we stayed within a mile or two off the coast so there were no big ships to dodge. It was very cool and damp out with a humidity level in the upper 90's and the temperature dipped to 68 degrees overnight. All the salt spray covering the boat from over the past week of traveling made every inch of surface really wet. Sara had on two fleece jackets and pulled out an old blanket to cover her legs and Shane pulled out his slippers and sweat pants!
Once we got settled in Fernandina Beach on a mooring ball in the river just outside the marina, we were off and running again with barely 6 hours of sleep. Our very good friend Bert (Maria Elena), who we cruised with years ago, came over in his dinghy from his boat. We had a few beers and got caught up on everything. Then on our way to taking Lucia to shore, we noticed on the mooring ball behind another boat from Minneapolis. It turned out to be Rose and Tom on s/v Sojourn who know Bert and Maria Elena well from having sailed together in the western Caribbean. Finally, Lucia got her well-deserved walk in the marina after being boat bound for 5 days. Bert and Maria Elena also gave us a ride to Publix and Radio Shack (they have a car and house in town). We had drinks back on our boat before dinner and went into town later to a cute restaurant called Caribou. Maria Elena came bearing gifts...real pearl earrings and a pearl bracelet from Margarita, Venezuela for Sara, and two squeaky toys for Lucia..."Peg Leg" the squeaky rubber pirate chicken and "Smartie" a hot pink squeaky cell phone! After trading many tales of sailing the high seas we found out that Sojourn also knows some other folks that we know on s/v Jubilee from St. Paul. We know Jubilee from our time spent in the marina in Fajardo, Puerto Rico. It always amazes us how the cruising community is a really small world in its own!
This morning Sara cleaned the outside decks and cushions with fresh water to wash away the salt. She also wiped down all the interior floors and did a load of laundry on the boat. Shane worked on a route plan for our trip tomorrow up a portion of the ICW to try to make some tracks further north before the next front arrives. Bert stopped by late morning to help Shane with some technical issues with our computer and got our Wi-Fi up and running again. This evening we plan to grill our fresh mahi-mahi that we caught on our crossing and Bert is joining us since Maria Elena will be at work.
Tomorrow, Tuesday, April 29th we plan to head out fairly early from Fernandina Beach for an outside run in 15-20 knots of southerly wind to Do Boy Sound near Sapelo Island in Georgia and anchor for the night. Then on Wednesday head up the ICW to somewhere near Wassaw Sound and "stage" for our next passage. We will wait there a few day for the wind to clock around to the west after the front passes.

Comments
Vessel Name: Dream Chaser
Vessel Make/Model: 2014 Fontaine Pajot Helia 44 (FKA a 1981 Bristol 45.5)
Hailing Port: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Crew: Shane, Sara & Lucia
About:
Shane was born in Sioux Falls, South Dakota in 1960. Shane learned to sail on Lake Okoboji, Iowa in 1973 aboard s/v "Cactus Queen", a Venture 222 made by McGregor and owned by his father. About the same time, he learned to scuba dive, and his fascination with all things aquatic began in earnest. [...]
Extra:
Ok, so here's the part you've all been waiting for. The reason why we are doing this! Both of us had been pursuing our careers for over 20 years and we do not have any children. Since we have not had to pay or save for those enormous expenses that sometimes children can bring, we have been [...]