Molonga

03 March 2012
06 October 2011
06 October 2011
06 October 2011
06 October 2011
06 October 2011
06 October 2011
06 October 2011
06 October 2011
06 October 2011
06 October 2011
06 October 2011
06 October 2011
06 October 2011
06 October 2011 | Belitung, Indonesia
06 October 2011
06 October 2011
06 October 2011
06 October 2011
02 October 2011

Leaving Elcho, Darwin and Preparations

17 July 2011 | Darwin, Northern Territory
On Saturday 21st May 2011 we departed Elcho Island. The morning started with coffee on the boat with a few close friends coming down to bid us farewell. Also out there was a 4 metre croc cruising up and down main beach in knee deep water! There were tears shed as we said our "See Ya's" to good friends. Besides the friends we left behind, we were also emotional leaving the Community that had been our home for the past 2 1/2 years. Galiwinku was such a wonderful experience and Elcho Island a truly beautiful place. As we sailed away a large turtle poked her head up and we are pretty sure she was waving her flipper at us! I still miss Elcho now and Indi talks about her Pre-School Teachers being the best she has had!

We had a relatively easy time the first couple of days heading towards Darwin with not a lot of sailing, mostly motoring. By the Tuesday we had word that there were strong Coastal wind warnings so we sat out in a bay near Cape Don to see what would happen. This would usually be OK, but we had a very important wedding to get to on the Friday! Not wanting to miss the wedding of our wonderful friends/extended family, Jen and Keoh, we pulled up the anchor at 7.00pm on Wednesday night and started to head across the Gulf of Carpentaria. The winds gradually picked up and picked up until we were sailing along at 8 knots with water coming right up over the bow at times. It was complete darkness and at times I felt like we were suspended in the air before coming down off a wave. I was very relieved when morning came and we were going through the Vernon Islands, getting pushed along nicely by the tide. All night Youngie had been moving around the boat - checking sails, lines, motors. I was of no help at all as I sat clinging to the seat. Indi slept away in her cabin stirring only occasionally!

We arrived back in Darwin on the Thursday and were well rested for Jen and Keoh's absolutely beautiful wedding on Friday.

Following that I was back at work on Monday while Youngie and Indi started preparations on the boat so she would be fit and comfy for our travels. Heather came to visit for 3 weeks and we enjoyed having her here and knowing that Indi was in good care when Youngie and I were busy. This week Anne has travelled up to spend time with us before we leave so we are now enjoying her company.

Molonga is mostly ready to set sail on Saturday. We now have a water maker, warm showers and a home brew on the go. We will be sad to say "Good Bye" to our friends once again but are hoping some will come and spend time with us in a beautiful location somewhere!
Comments
Vessel Name: Molonga
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Tiki 38
Hailing Port: Darwin
Crew: YOUNGIE, KEL, INDI
About: Youngie, Kel and their 4 year old daughter have been saving hard for their next adventure to South East Asia. They are now off to experience the Cruising life, currently sailing in Indonesia.
Extra: Life is what you make it, you choose if you want to live it, love it , share it. So dream big and make it happen! Enjoy the ride!

MOLONGA

Who: YOUNGIE, KEL, INDI
Port: Darwin