13 November 2018 | Brisbane, Australia
04 November 2018 | On Passage - The Coral Sea, 480 MTG, 650 miles logged
28 October 2018 | Honiara, Solomon Islands
21 October 2018 | Shortland Islands, Western Province, Solomon Islands
18 October 2018 | Bay of 1,000 Voices, Choiseul., Solomon Islands
18 October 2018 | Bay of 1,000 Voices, Choiseul., Solomon Islands
15 October 2018 | Bay of 1,000 Voices, Choiseul, Solomon Islands
14 October 2018 | Pelau, Ontong Java, Malaita Province, Solomon Islands
14 October 2018 | Luaniua, Ontong Java, Malaita Province, Solomon Islands
14 October 2018 | Ontong Java Atoll, Malaita Province, Solomon Islands
03 October 2018 | Choiseul, Solomon Islands
02 October 2018
02 October 2018
02 October 2018
27 September 2018
27 September 2018
27 September 2018
27 September 2018
24 September 2018
24 September 2018

Death of our Code Zero

31 October 2017 | Somewhere else in the Coral Sea
Sailing to Australia adds an extra level of complexity to passage planning due to the insane costs of clearing quarantine so whatever you do you DO NOT want to arrive in Australia on a weekend when penalty rates apply. We appreciate and support the strong quarantine laws but this “cost recovery” concept is a rip-off. So we had to try and work out what sort of speed we should expect to maintain with the conditions that were forecast and also not to arrive near the coast of Australia due to troughs and low pressure systems passing and on top of that not to arrive on a weekend to keep a lid on costs.

The first couple of days on passage we had light winds and smooth seas but were still able to sail which is all that matters. Our light weather sail, the Code Zero again earned it's keep, maintaining reasonable boat speed. Little did we realise that the CZ was doomed. As expected, the wind died and we motored for around 30 hours but then the pre-frontal Northerlies filled in followed by the Southerly buster of around 25 to 30 knots that then turned into a north easterly towards the Australian coast. Unfortunately in about 15 knots of breeze that briefly back-winded our Code Zero, it gave one flog and blew itself to smithereens. It was made of some exotic materials which have fantastic performance but no endurance. When we reached Brisbane we cut the rope and fittings off and binned the rest. When we buy a replacement I don't think we'll go for something quite so fragile.
Comments
Vessel Name: Monkey Fist
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau 43DS
Hailing Port: Darwin
Crew: Paul and Frances Tudor-Stack
About: After spending over 20 years in the NT Paul and Frances returned to the sea in 2008. Their first trip was into the Pacific via West Papua and over the top of PNG and then back to Australia where they sold their old traditional boat "Sea Spray" and bought "Monkey Fist"
Social:
Monkey Fist's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.