Max Adventure

28 September 2013 | Serifos
26 September 2013 | Kithnos
18 September 2013 | Corinth
16 September 2013
15 September 2013 | Galaxhidi
14 September 2013 | Entrance to Gulf of Corinth
13 September 2013 | Patras
10 September 2013
31 August 2013 | Preveza
30 August 2013 | The Meteora
25 August 2013 | North Ionian
18 August 2013 | Northern Ionian
07 August 2013 | Ionian
19 July 2013 | Ionian
28 June 2013 | Paleros
19 June 2013 | Vlieho
18 June 2013 | Vlieho
18 June 2013 | Skorpios Island
16 June 2013 | Nidri
16 June 2013 | Lefkada and Maganisi

Islands and Friends

19 July 2013 | Ionian
Carole/Sweltering

As July approached we were looking forward greatly to Sam’s holiday on Max. But before he arrived on the 19th we had about three weeks to wander around the islands in the inland sea around Lefkada, kefalonia and Ithaca.
Ann and David, on Dragonfly, had launched the boat after visiting the UK when Ann’s dad was taken ill. We arranged to meet them in One Tree Bay where we could anchor and have a good catch up. We had two good nights there, with a bbq on Max and dinner on Dragonfly, ending lazy days swimming and walking on the beach.
The 30th of June found us in Vlieho, anchored again, so that Ian could get to Nidri to watch the British Grand Prix in a bar. However the next day Max and Dragonfly set out for Sami on Kefalonia, to see Will and Carole on Muskrat who had their family staying for a holiday.
We enjoyed dinner on board Muskrat that evening, hats off to Will and Carole who catered for ten of us! What a lovely evening, and it was also great to meet Adam,Stacey and their two lovely sons, Jack and Seb. (Sami seems to be a ‘meeting people’ place, it was here we met up with Helen and Mark again)
Ann and David left the next day for the Peloponnese while we stayed a day or two and left with Muskrat after their family had gone home. We had a lovely week sailing in their company visiting Ithaca, where we had a beach Cobb, Kastos- for the first time, Kalamos, where we ate at George’s of course! (Unofficial harbour master, helps you in, you eat there!) and Meganisi for a lunchtime anchor and swim before heading back to Vlieho, once more. No wonder they call it Velcro!
We had to collect a parcel of widgets that Ian had ordered from a German chandlery that had been delivered to the yacht club there. These were the blocks and bits required to make our engine hoist and passerelle lines actually functional, after Phil had fitted the stainless framework.
We managed to eat at Elena’s again, this time with Will and Carole, and had another lovely dinner. We had planned to leave next morning to start heading north for Sam but we had been in email contact with Adam and Camilla as they had now, finally, launched Isola, and they would be in Vlieho tomorrow - so our plans went on hold for Friday morning. It was so lovely to see Isola come into the bay, last time we saw her was in a yard! We had a delicious dinner on board, enjoying Camilla’s cooking again for the first time since Cartagena!
Friday saw us head for Preveza and a meeting up with Sally and Tony (Ron Glas) and Sue and Al (Jolli Jumper) last seen in Marina Di Ragusa! A lovely evening chatting to old friends, and fed and watered beautifully by JJs. Al and Sue also whet our appetite to visit Albania, so watch this space!
Tempting though it was to linger we needed to be in Corfu by Friday so on Sunday morning we continued on our way. By now I was allowing myself to get a little excited at the prospect of seeing Sam at the end of the week!
Monday and Tuesday night were spent on the town quay in Gaios on the lovely island of Paxos! We had not been here before but it was certainly a vibrant place. Now, finally, we were seeing hordes of Italian boats, as promised, all over here for their annual holiday! Like everything they do the Italians drive their boats fast. Some of their manoeuvres in the harbour were breath-taking – as long as they weren’t next to Max!
Just as we arrived we spotted Lupa, a Swiss boat with Guido and Lis, from our winter in Sicily. A long lunch was in order in a restaurant just over from our boats where we could view the carnage and fend off when needed! The next night Rio Luna, an American boat with Mike, Tracy and twins Justin and Josie on board came in. One of the nicest things about wintering is that when you get to see people out there, sailing around, it is a great excuse to socialise and catch up with each other’s travels. Rio Luna has also visited Albania and endorsed all that Al and Sue had said.
But now the time had come to head to the next island up – Corfu! We arrived with 48hours to spare; after all we weren’t going to miss this flight!! The excitement was mounting as we did a dummy run to the airport - just to make sure we could find it, it was about 12 minutes’ walk away! Stocked up with plenty of beer and Max looking her best - all we had to do now was wait!
Comments
Vessel Name: Maximilian
Vessel Make/Model: Moody 47
Hailing Port: Southampton
Crew: Ian and Carole Clothier
About: Ian and Carole are cruising in the Eastern Mediterranean, making the most of every day.
Extra: Currently cruising around the Coastline of Turkey

Max

Who: Ian and Carole Clothier
Port: Southampton