Sailing with the Princess

19 May 2014
10 May 2014
08 May 2014 | Staniel Cay,The Exumas
28 December 2013
10 July 2013
18 December 2012
06 October 2012
07 September 2012 | Marathon
05 September 2012 | Marathon, FL
22 July 2012 | Marathon in the Florida Keys
13 June 2012
18 May 2012
26 April 2012
11 December 2011
04 December 2011

Christmas, New Year's and the Green Flash

01 January 2012
Bill
We had a very busy, different and most enjoyable holiday. Although we missed seeing our family and friends and sharing the spirit of the holidays with those we love, we were captivated by the tropical holiday warmth shared by our dockmates.

On the Tuesday before Christmas we rented a car for the day and drove to Key West for a day of exploring, touring and looking at Christmas lights. Our first stop for the day was an educational tour of the Mel Fisher Museum which contains the jewels, gold, silver and artifacts from the sunken Spanish Galleon the "Atocha". A fascinating story of perseverance to locate and retrive the cargo and ship. We walked the docks and shopping areas in Key West and drove around to look at the Christmas lights and displays on our way home.

We rode our bikes about 100 miles over the holidays as we completed some last minute shopping, went to the gym for workouts, bought groceries & boat supplies, attended church and went to the beach. We took several dingy rides with Sassy to the beach and explored the mangrove canals and surrounding islands.

On Christmas Eve we attended a wonderful Christmas Cantada at our church and then on Christmsas day we joined 5 dockmates for an enjoyable dinner buffet at a local golf and boating club. See photo of group after dinner.

We toured Christmas lights in Marathon and we went with friends, Chris and Rick, to see a lighted Christmas display in the gardens and gounds of their Catholic Church that was absolutely fabulous. Chris also was a performer in a Key West presentation of "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoats". We carpooled to Key West with several other dockmates to have dinner and see the performance. Chris did a great job and we watched as husband Rick presented her with roses and then we all toasted her performance with champagne.

Over the holidays we took several bike rides on the Flagler Railroad bridge to Pigeon Key. An approximate 2 mile ride that has a beautiful view of turquoise water and various islands throughout the Keys. We were able to see several sharks, various fish, a manatee and a giant sea turtle on our rides.

On New Year's Eve we grilled on the boat and watched early local fireworks. Cathy got up at midnight to watch more fireworks from different areas in the Keys. We watched the sunset on the Atlantic side of the Keys and just as the sunset is almost complete if the skies are clear and the atmospheric conditions are right there is a "Green Flash" in the last split seond of the sunset. This was Cathy's first "green flash" and my second.

As we start 2012 we wish everyone a most blessed healthy and prosperous New Year and we hope all your ocean sunsets have a "Green Flash".
Comments
Vessel Name: Moonlight Shadow
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 46
Hailing Port: Galveston, TX
Crew: Bill & Cathy Truscott & Sassy

Who: Bill & Cathy Truscott & Sassy
Port: Galveston, TX