Sailing with the Princess

19 May 2014
10 May 2014
08 May 2014 | Staniel Cay,The Exumas
28 December 2013
10 July 2013
18 December 2012
06 October 2012
07 September 2012 | Marathon
05 September 2012 | Marathon, FL
22 July 2012 | Marathon in the Florida Keys
13 June 2012
18 May 2012
26 April 2012
11 December 2011
04 December 2011

Life in the Exumas

10 May 2014
Grill'en Mon......Bahamian hot dogs.

We left Nassau Harbour Club after a quite challenging refueling event. We encountered fairly stout winds a little off the bow heading for Highbourne Cay on April 29th. Tough motor sailing into the wind and waves. We could barely make 4 knots. Later in the day the winds and seas moderated and became more favorable and we were able to sail into Highbourne at almost 7 knots. They gave us a very small slip that required a 90 degree turn with barely enough bow and stern room to clear the adjoining dock. Had quite an audience watching us dock and everyone gave the crew of Moonlight Shadow a welcome applause for our excellent docking. People from LYC that we met in Nassau and a couple from Kemah, Ed and Cheryl, that had bought one of my former sailboats, Slowdown, were busy catching dock lines and helping us swing the boat.

In Nassau we met a couple on a power boat next to us from Charleston, SC on board their boat, Paula Faye. We assisted them with a little chart help in Nassau and then traveled to Highbourne on the same day. We met up with Sanford and Faye in Highbourne for drinks and snacks aboard their boat before having a delightful dinner at the only restaurant on the island. We met up again at Staniel Cay for another great meal aboard their boat. The Princess and Faye combined for a great grilled fish dinner (grouper & snapper caught by Tommy and Brian). We have thoroughly enjoyed our new friendship with Sanford and Faye. They may be traveling to Black Point with us tomorrow as we have to leave Staniel Cay due to new boat arrivals with reservations.

Staniel Cay has been a delight. We have had some great meals at the SCYC. Our first big meal was a Cinco de Mayo Caribbean Fiesta celebration. Great Sangrias & Margaritas and mango salsa. Not my kind of Tex-Mex for dinner. Nicki and Richard, former dock mates from Galveston joined us for the celebration. They were returning from Georgetown on their way back to Florida when we met up in Staniel Cay. We have had several lunches of hamburgers and blackened mahi sandwiches along with the best coconut pie that the Princess and I have ever eaten. Brian also treated us all to dinner at the SCYC. We bought some great banana bread at the local farmer's market and then Tommy and Brian restocked our banana bread from Rhonda's home side bakery (Rhonda has not only keep us eating well with our banana bread and key lime pie but her sister washed a couple loads of laundry for Cathy.

Brian joined us for 5 days to dive with Tommy and between the Bahamian hot dogs, conch and fresh fish we have not lacked for a variety of seafood. Cathy made some fabulous conch salads for lunches and dinners. Brian left today to fly back to Boston. He was a delight to have as added crew aboard Moonlight Shadow.

Cathy and I dinghied to Thunderball grotto yesterday and snorkled into the grotto cave, timing our arrival at low tide. Beautiful coral and sea life everywhere. The grotto was featured in the James Bond movie Thunderball. We have also dighied to a small beach called Pirate's Beach with Sassy most afternoons for a refreshing swim. Cathy is developing her Island Princess tan quite rapidly.

Besides all our swimming and snorkeling, Cathy and I have taken Sassy for long walks each morning, done some paddle boarding in a cove next to the marina and made runs to all three stores on the island (two by walking and one by dinghy). Sassy continues to love her dinghy rides.

Tomorrow it is either off to Black Point or Big Major for an anchoring experience. We should have a little challenge for a couple of days due to high winds. At least we will be on the leeward side of the island for some protection. Black Point is one of the most traditional Bahamian communities in the Exuma chain. We are looking forward to Black Point as it is a new destination for Moonlight Shadow and it's crew.
Comments
Vessel Name: Moonlight Shadow
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 46
Hailing Port: Galveston, TX
Crew: Bill & Cathy Truscott & Sassy

Who: Bill & Cathy Truscott & Sassy
Port: Galveston, TX