Sailing with the Princess

19 May 2014
10 May 2014
08 May 2014 | Staniel Cay,The Exumas
28 December 2013
10 July 2013
18 December 2012
06 October 2012
07 September 2012 | Marathon
05 September 2012 | Marathon, FL
22 July 2012 | Marathon in the Florida Keys
13 June 2012
18 May 2012
26 April 2012
11 December 2011
04 December 2011

Ft. Pierce

14 May 2011
Bill
We arrived in Ft. Pierce last Tuesday, May 10th and have been waiting for a better weather window to move on to Cape Canaveral. Currently there is an Atlantic Oceanic storm that is creating swells offshore from 5 to 7 feet. The seas are supposed to start calming down on Monday and we will be leaving on Tuesday if all goes well. We are staying at the Pelican Yacht Club just inside the Ft. Pierce Inlet. We are docked across from Coast Guard Station Ft. Pierce and each morning they sound reveille and then close the day with taps. I always feel a little more patriotic and blessed when I hear these tradional beginnings and endings to our day.

We feel very secure in this marina as the local county sherriff marine patrol and the U. S. Customs and Border Patrol are based here. We are currently docked on the site where the first Navy Seals were trained.

The people have been very heart warming and friendly and they are great ambassadors for their community. We road our bikes over the causeway bridge to downtown Ft. Pierce this morning and enjoyed breakfast and shopping at their Waterfront Farmers Market. The enclosed photo is the family that prepared our breakfast. They also have a restraunt in Ft. Pierce and made sure we were invited to come by soon. The yacht club had a dinner dance last night in honor of all the new members that joined in the past year. We were welcomed by all and had a great time. Good boating discussions and I received some great advice on entering some of the ports as we travel north.

Tomorrow we ride our bikes back acress the bridge to church. We have been walking to the beach and taking Sassy for some dog surfing lessons. We have seen a lot of marine life on this trip. Offshore I saw a large gray creature surface and it took a little while to realize it was a large sea turtle. We have seen some manatees off the beach and Cathy spotted some eagle rays on our motor sail to Ft. Pierce.

There is a very large fishing tournament today and when all the boats arrive back at the docks we hope to beg for some delicious fillets. We have been told if the skies are clear on Monday morning we would be able to see the last shuttle launch from our boat. Cathy just put up all the cockpit cushions and closed the windshield as it looks like a rain storm is brewing.

I have more pictues to post but have not been able to post more than one per blog. More learning curve ahead......

More to come as we get closer to Georgia. Have a most blessed day.






Comments
Vessel Name: Moonlight Shadow
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 46
Hailing Port: Galveston, TX
Crew: Bill & Cathy Truscott & Sassy

Who: Bill & Cathy Truscott & Sassy
Port: Galveston, TX