Sailing with the Princess

19 May 2014
10 May 2014
08 May 2014 | Staniel Cay,The Exumas
28 December 2013
10 July 2013
18 December 2012
06 October 2012
07 September 2012 | Marathon
05 September 2012 | Marathon, FL
22 July 2012 | Marathon in the Florida Keys
13 June 2012
18 May 2012
26 April 2012
11 December 2011
04 December 2011

Cape Canaveral/Merritt Island

19 May 2011
Bill
We had a cool weather day motor sailing to Cape Canaveral. Cathy was bundled up and spent most of the day reading. We were able to not only catch another fish but we even landed this one. We caught a good sized king mackerel and used the "happy hour landing method". Our friends Nicki and Richard told us when we brought a fish along side the boat to pour some alcohol down it's throat and it will quit fighting almost immediately. We told our friend, Dr. Bernard Godley, about this and he said that could be somwhat dangerous if the alcohol were to be absorbed in the meat. We asked if using vodka would be ok and he said that that would be fine. So we bought a cheap bottle of vodka and when we got the fish along side the boat Cathy squirted some vodka in his mounth and he was "happy hour out" almost immdiately.

We were excited to see the NASA launch pads when we entered the Cape Canaveral Inlet along with two huge sea turtles. We also experienced our first locks while passing into the barge canal crossing the Banana River on our way to our dock on Merritt Island.

We are leaving tomorrow for our first overnight sail to St. Augustine. A first for Cathy and I without added crew. Will spend some time in St. Augustine touring America's oldest city as we will be located at the city marina in the downtown area.

We met some dockmates in Marathon that live in St. Augustine (Roger and Linda) and they will help us do some needed reprovisioning as they will provide us with transportation. We are looking forward to getting to know them better.

The entrance to St Augstine is a challenging inlet with constant shoaling and we have been seeking local advice and help to navagate the inlet. Our next blog will be from St Augustine. We still have some "happy hour vodka" if needed to calm our nerves entering the inlet.

Hope you are having a joyful day.

Bill & Cathy
Comments
Vessel Name: Moonlight Shadow
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 46
Hailing Port: Galveston, TX
Crew: Bill & Cathy Truscott & Sassy

Who: Bill & Cathy Truscott & Sassy
Port: Galveston, TX