Sailing with the Princess

19 May 2014
10 May 2014
08 May 2014 | Staniel Cay,The Exumas
28 December 2013
10 July 2013
18 December 2012
06 October 2012
07 September 2012 | Marathon
05 September 2012 | Marathon, FL
22 July 2012 | Marathon in the Florida Keys
13 June 2012
18 May 2012
26 April 2012
11 December 2011
04 December 2011

Tooth Fairy and Worrisome Bridge

09 June 2011
We left St. Augustine with a motor sail to Fernandina Beach, the last port of entry in Florida. The St Mary's Inlet is on the FL-GA border and is an easy and deep entry. Fernandina Beach is on Amelia Island and is similiar to St. Augustine. Guarded by an old fort, fought for by many nations and pirates and has a wonderful old and touristy historical district. We stayed two nights in Fernandina Beach and then we were off to Brunswick, GA.

Brunswick was a disappointment in that it is also advertised as a historical area and memorable place to visit However it is a community that has major economic challenges with a large percentage of businesses closed and a historical district in major disrepair. I told Cathy the reason the community was struggling so much was they did not have an ice cream parlor. All of our other ports have had at least one ice cream or gelato store.

You will have to hear Cathy's description of the "worrisome bridge" as we entered Brunswick. While in Brunswick I was doing some repairs and attempting to investigate the cause of a water tank leak when I broke off my front tooth cap. I needed to use both hands so I put a flashlight in my mouth to be able to see better and then slipped and hit the flashlight on a bulkhead. Then I had to use the flashlight to find my tooth cap. Looked like a real "Redneck Bubba" missing my front tooth cap. Saved by a good dentist when we arrived in Hilton Head which was our next stop. Cathy developed some stomach problems in Brunswick which caused us to stay there a couple of extra days.

Then on to Hilton Head for a couple of days rest after an overnight sail. This was the first overnight trip where we saw some ship traffic offshore and our first sail that was threatened by a late afternoon thuderstorm. Cathy rallied our preparations for the storm that just missed us. Hilton Head is a large tourist and retirement area. Today we are leaving for another overnight journey to Charleston, SC. We plan to spend at least a week in Charleston exporing museums, the historical district and Ft. Sumter.

The enclosed picture is Cathy working out at our marina in Hilton Head. We have both been keeping an active exercise and workout schdule.

Comments
Vessel Name: Moonlight Shadow
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 46
Hailing Port: Galveston, TX
Crew: Bill & Cathy Truscott & Sassy

Who: Bill & Cathy Truscott & Sassy
Port: Galveston, TX