Sailing with the Princess

19 May 2014
10 May 2014
08 May 2014 | Staniel Cay,The Exumas
28 December 2013
10 July 2013
18 December 2012
06 October 2012
07 September 2012 | Marathon
05 September 2012 | Marathon, FL
22 July 2012 | Marathon in the Florida Keys
13 June 2012
18 May 2012
26 April 2012
11 December 2011
04 December 2011

Charleston-a beautiful southern jewel

20 June 2011
We arrived in Charleston a little over a week ago and have fallen in love with this beautiful city with it's southern charm, wonderful restraunts and history. We toured Ft. Sumter, the older historical districts, went to a Motown concert in the park and met up with old friends from Lakewood Yact Club. David and Shelly Warters moved to Charleston several years ago and are live aboards at the City Marina. We spent a delightful evening tourning their boat and going to dinner in a historical home in Charleston.

Cathy and I have estimated that we have ridden our bikes at least 30 miles in the last week while site seeing, shopping, going to church, a great farmer's market and a concert. The last two Sundays we attended both Luthern and Episcopal Churches that were well over 200 years old. Both churches had magnifisant chapels and the Luthern Church had pew boxes like some of the old Boston churches that Cathy and I had visited several years ago.

The farmer's market in Charleston is listed as one of the best in the country. Great breakfast and lunch dining along with great local produce and other food products. All of this is mixed in with arts and crafts. It is well attwnded by families and many bring their dogs. It was too far from the marina for us to bring Sassy. Charleston has three colleges in the historical area, College of Charleston, The Citadel and the Medical School of SC. The three colleges bring a youthful flair to the city. All three campuses add to the beauty of the city with their varied architecture and fabulous landscaping.

Tomorrow we are off on an overnite sail to Georgetown, SC and then another overnite sail this coming weekend to Southport, NC. We should arrive in Wilmigton, NC for the 4th of July and spend several weeks with our friends, Dale and Sharon Smith. Dale and I have been friends since we were neighbors in Southern Cal over 50 years ago. Sassy will be thrilled as Dale and Sharon have 5 dogs and live in a multi-acre lakeside community. Dale and Sharon have been kennal owners and Sharon has devoted many years to the rescue dog community since their move to NC from Connecticut.

We also may get to see Joe and Danielle and their children Bella and Aidan in Georgetown. They will be in Myrtle Beach on vacation and will try and met up with us in Georgetown.

It has been brutally hot on the east coast and Sassy has been suffering along with both of us. Staying active in this weather has been a challenge.

The attached picture is one of the beautiful homes that we ride past each day on our way into historical Charleston.
Comments
Vessel Name: Moonlight Shadow
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 46
Hailing Port: Galveston, TX
Crew: Bill & Cathy Truscott & Sassy

Who: Bill & Cathy Truscott & Sassy
Port: Galveston, TX