Sailing with the Princess

19 May 2014
10 May 2014
08 May 2014 | Staniel Cay,The Exumas
28 December 2013
10 July 2013
18 December 2012
06 October 2012
07 September 2012 | Marathon
05 September 2012 | Marathon, FL
22 July 2012 | Marathon in the Florida Keys
13 June 2012
18 May 2012
26 April 2012
11 December 2011
04 December 2011

Crash-Bam-BOOM

19 November 2011 | West Palm Beach
Bill
We arrived in West Palm Beach (WPB) on Thursday after an enjoyable but startling sail from Ft. Pierce. We left early morning (shortly after daybreak) and had a pleasant close to shore sail that was an approx 8 hour trip. Just before we arrived at the Lake Worth Inlet to WPB we heard a loud crash on our fore deck as our boom came loose from the mast and crashed to the deck. Cathy took the helm and I rigged a line to lift up the boom and secure it temporarily. We were then able to furl the main sail and motor on to WPB. Today we were able to reset the pin that holds the boom in place and we are now able to sail again.

Went to a wonderful Farmer's Market located in a park in the heart of WPB on the waterfront. We enjoyed a good breakfast, then shopped for fresh fish, veggies and fruit. Last night we walked downtown for fish and shrimp tacos and some much needed ice cream.

It looks like we will have another good weather window this Wednesday to sail to Ft. Lauderdale (an approx 50 nm journey). We will then spend Thanksgiving in Ft. Lauderdale and await our next weather window so that we can sail to Key Biscayne (Coconut Grove). That will be our last stop before the Floriday Keys and our winter home in Marathon.

I was watching a classic power boat navigate the ICW yesterday from our dock and I noticed that it was going to go under a draw bridge without waiting for it to open. I could tell that it would be a very close call. Well, it did not make it. The top deck of the boat that had all the electronic equipment not only rearranged the lighting structure on the bridge but was crushed by the bridge and is no longer on the boat. That was certainly a high cost of impatience.

There is an Occupy West Palm Beach encampment directly across the street from our marina in a city park. They have a beautiful water front view and great facilities at the park including large gas grills, bathrooms and a beautifully landscaped area. Not a bad place to spend the winter.

More to come soon as we explore the West Palm Beach area.
Comments
Vessel Name: Moonlight Shadow
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 46
Hailing Port: Galveston, TX
Crew: Bill & Cathy Truscott & Sassy

Who: Bill & Cathy Truscott & Sassy
Port: Galveston, TX