Sailing with the Princess

19 May 2014
10 May 2014
08 May 2014 | Staniel Cay,The Exumas
28 December 2013
10 July 2013
18 December 2012
06 October 2012
07 September 2012 | Marathon
05 September 2012 | Marathon, FL
22 July 2012 | Marathon in the Florida Keys
13 June 2012
18 May 2012
26 April 2012
11 December 2011
04 December 2011

Lightning II

06 October 2012
Purrfection at dock next to Moonlight Shaow.

The damages are being tallied and Purrfection will be the winner or should I say loser. Between instruments, electrical connections and components, Purrfection has suffered major losses from the lightning strike. Bruce and Bobbi are still getting inspections and estimates and as additional damages are found the long-term efforts to repair or replace items gets bigger and more challenging. Bruce and Bobbi had been working on a tmietable to get their boat ready for a circumnavigation. Hopefully these new challenges will not defer their schedule significantly.

Several boats on our dock including Moonlight Shadow had residual damage and the marina lost it's wifi system. We had damage to our anchor light and our satellite radio and VHF radio antennas. We seem to have had some of our VHF damage relating back to a four day lightning and rain storm in the Bahamas on Bimini last April

Hopefully we have isolated all of our damages and will make repairs this week after our new parts arrive. As we complete the repairs I hope we do not discover any additional issues. I have been fortunate to find quality electronic and rigging people to help with the repairs.

Our summer and fall have been busy. I have been doing repairs and maintenance projects on the boat. Refinishing teak, waxing the boat, repairing our jib roller furler system, plumbing and electrical repairs and oil and filter changes have occupied most of my time.

Cathy has been volunteering at the Marathon Yacht Club and local hospital auxilliary. She is hemming our marina manager's wedding gown this afternnoon for their wedding next weekend. Cathy does a fabulous job of keeping the boat and laundry clean and neat along with preparing healthy and wonderful meals.

Cathy has been winning the Florda Keys frequent traveler award. She went to her aunt and uncles 60th wedding anniversary party in NC, attended a friends wedding in Annapolis two weeks ago and will be leaving tomorrow to see her Mom and Dad. They are both having major health problems. Her Mom fell and broke her arm and her Dad is currently in the hospital undergoing tests to try and diagnose some weakness problems. Not sure how long she will be in Biloxi. Cathy's sister has been the major support person for her parents and Cathy is going to give her some needed relief. If she needs to stay for any length of time, I will probably pick her up on our way to Texas in November.

We are also excited that Brian and Elisa may be coming to the Keys for a visit in two weeks. We may make some changes in these plans if Cathy does not return from Biloxi before their visit. It will be wonderful having them visit our Florida Keys marina home and sharing our cruising/live aboard lifestyle.

Comments
Vessel Name: Moonlight Shadow
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 46
Hailing Port: Galveston, TX
Crew: Bill & Cathy Truscott & Sassy

Who: Bill & Cathy Truscott & Sassy
Port: Galveston, TX