Sailing with the Princess

19 May 2014
10 May 2014
08 May 2014 | Staniel Cay,The Exumas
28 December 2013
10 July 2013
18 December 2012
06 October 2012
07 September 2012 | Marathon
05 September 2012 | Marathon, FL
22 July 2012 | Marathon in the Florida Keys
13 June 2012
18 May 2012
26 April 2012
11 December 2011
04 December 2011

Back from Croatia

10 July 2013
Devin at the helm of our charter boat.

May, June and July were months filled with travel, family, more family, more travel and a milestone birthday celebration. In late May Cathy left the Keys on a flight to Biloxi where she helped her Mom and Dad do some estate planning, medical checkups and family errands. I joined her a week later driving from the Keys and then we were off to League City/Houston for our medical checkups and to pick up our new car. We had been without a car for 2 1/2 years while cruising around the East Coast and Florida. Although we stayed very active with our bike riding and walking, Cathy missed the car for shopping and we were limited in our exploration around our cruising venues.

In early June, Cathy left for Las Vegas to spend time with friends and her pole dancing classmates from when she lived there in the late 90's. I joined her several days later and we were off to Needles, CA to see our family and attend our grandson's high school graduation. Needles is approximately a 2 hour drive southeast of Las Vegas along the Colorado River. I played golf with my two sons and grandson. It was a very memorable event as all four Truscott men were playing and enjoying the outing. It was 113 degrees plus at this desert golf course and most challenging for me as I had not played golf for over ten years.

Graduation was great. Watching Devin graduate with honors and then attending a party for Devin and some of his fellow graduates at Trent and Julie's house was a special treat. It seems like just yesterday that we were sitting on the floor watching Lion King on an almost daily basis with our two year old grandson in our Sugar Land, TX home. I had all four of my children and both grandchildren at the graduation. The following week we would be off to Croatia with our son and daughter-in-law, Brian and Elisa, and our daughter, Becky. The guest of honor would be our grandson. Our graduation gift to Devin was the trip to Croatia. However, as Cathy and I continue to look at all the great pictures of this wonderful trip, I do believe the gift of the trip was a heart full of memories for all.

The first week of our two week Croatia coastline sail was a romantic adventure for Cathy and I. We retraced a course that Cathy and I had made in 2008 with her brother and sister-in-law, George and Lisa, from Sweden. Our family arrived for the second week and we had a fun filled adventure that kept us on the move. We toured Old Town Dubrovnik on the first day including a walking tour of the great wall around the city. We then sailed to the Islands of Mljett, Korcula and Sipan. We took bike tours through a national park on Mljet and to a beach and vineyard on Korcula. Elisa and Devin were the best long distance bikers (up and down hills) while Becky and Dad spent more time bonding in conversation as we walked our bikes up the steeper hills. We went for chilly swims while anchored in Mljet and introduced our grandson to Ozujsko, a native beer of Croatia and Cathy resumed her long lost taste for Grasevina, a Croatian white wine.........and this time she did not throw her wine glass overboard....I think?

Walking, shopping, dining and an active night life in the walled city of Korcula made this port one of our favorites. Our motor sail from Korcula to Sipan was an absolutely beautiful day of sailing. Moderate beam reach winds with clear skies over the deep blue Adriatic Sea. Mooring in Sipan was a little challenge as the winds and tides were not favorable. We had delightful weather throughout our two week journey. Fair winds, successful docking Mediterranean style and good holding anchorages added to the enjoyment of our travels.

We had many unique dining experiences including our fish, squid and other varied seafood meals. Preparation and presentation of the fish brought some real ohhs and ahhs. The pizza and beer, fresh French bread and morning pasties in each port offset all the gains made from our active days.

After disembarking our charter boat in Dubrovnik after our two week sailing adventure, our family left for an enjoyable night on the town in Frankfurt before flying back to Houston. Cathy and I left for her 49th birthday celebration in Vienna and Paris.

Vienna is a gorgeous historical town that has deep roots in music. We went to a concert, traveled around the city on open air tour buses and walked through some of the most beautiful gardens and parks all in full boom with roses and flowers. Vienna is a very vibrant, active and extremely clean city that keeps it's historical buildings, palaces, universities, gardens, parks and transportation systems in excellent condition. Watching Cathy take in the history, architecture and beauty of Vienna was a great start to her birthday travels.

From our short stay in Vienna to a full week of Paris continued to fill our scrapbook of great memories. We rode the train from Charles de Gaulle airport to our quaint historical hotel in central Paris where we began our active fun filled week culminating with a wonderful birthday dinner with my gorgeous bride on the eve of her birthday.

We walked, rode open air tour buses throughout all sections of Paris, ate, walked, shopped, ate some more, took a river boat ride on the Seine, people watched, walked, ate, climbed Sacre Coeur, walked, took a day long tour of the Versailles Palace and Gardens, walked, ate some more and occasionally we even slept. Cathy continued to marvel at the French architecture, beautiful gardens and art throughout Paris.

Then, back to reality in the good old USA. After arriving back in Houston via Frankfurt, we started getting ready for a much slower life back in the Keys. Brian and Elisa had rescued Sassy from the kennel after their return from Frankfurt. After our return to Houston, Cathy flew to Denver to visit with her brother, J. D.

Sassy and I then started our drive back to the Keys and timed our drive to pick up Cathy at the Ft. Lauderdale Airport. Time to get resettled into our much summer Keys lifestyle.

We had a wonderful time visiting with family and friends. A great graduation, travels to Frankfurt, Croatia, Vienna, Paris, Denver and back home to Florida. Now the great news. After all the great meals, pasta, pastries, gelato, more pasta, pizza, Ozujsko, Grasevina, more pastries, more gelato and even a few veggies, when I returned to the Keys I had not gained a pound. Yes, miracles do happen.









Comments
Vessel Name: Moonlight Shadow
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 46
Hailing Port: Galveston, TX
Crew: Bill & Cathy Truscott & Sassy

Who: Bill & Cathy Truscott & Sassy
Port: Galveston, TX