Bookmark and Share
More Mischief Wherever We Go
Season 5 begins of five months or five years - October 30th, 2015
Arrived in George Town Feb 7th

We got up at first light and headed back out to the Exuma Sound for a 50 mile trip to Conch Cay Cut which is the entrance into Elizabeth Harbor. We left with Majiks and before we knew it Flextime and Hali were out there as well. Hali is owned by a couple that we first met in Beaufort South Carolina and they are from Woodstock. There was also a few other boats already out there heading in the same direction. This was our first opportunity to put the fishing rod out. Of course we did not get anything but in no time Flextime had a 42 inch Mahi Mahi . We anchored early in the afternoon across from the "Monument" in the harbor. We spent two days there and then moved to Stocking Island which was closer volley ball beach (Michael actually played) and the Chat and Chill Bar where all the action is. The anchorage now had about 250 boats and more coming for George Town Cruising Regatta which takes place from March .... The place was really filling up and the forecast was for some nasty weather coming in the next few days. Majiks noticed that a few of the mooring balls were now empty that we both could move to them and take advantage of being closer to shore and more protected. They pulled anchor and moved to the closest mooring. In the meantime we were not sure what we were going to do and in the end we decided we would move too. Michael moved to the front of the boat to hoist the anchor and I went to start the boat.....Ops the starter did not engage. Oh no, now what. One of the fellow cruisers in the anchorage came to our rescue to try and determine what the problem was. As it turns out the starter was done. This was when we first met Myron and Deana from Holdfast on a Whitby 42. In the meantime we were still anchored and the wind was coming up. There was mooring ball that had been vacated early in the afternoon but they had paid for it for the rest of the week. The harbor master told us that if we could get towed over, we could have it until the boat was fixed. We did not want to be anchored with no way to start the boat if the anchor dragged in the forecasted 25 knot winds. So the dinghy brigade came to the rescue, Majiks, Polar Bear and Karen Ann towed us to the mooring. Being Friday afternoon, we then made a quick trip into town to try an order a replacement starter. Two hours later, a new starter was located in states and would ship to us by DHL for a costly sum which was to arrive by Tuesday or Wednesday...Feb 15th or sometime soon. The starter finally arrived on Feb. 20th and with the help of Myron and Deanna the starter was reinstalled in about an hour and we were up and running again. On the Sunday before the starter arrived we all piled into the Karen Ann (48 foot Hattarous) and motored to Pigeon Cay for a day for snorkeling and the boys went spear fishing. A great lobster dinner was had on More Mischief that evening. The following week, we decided it was time for some site seeing in Exuma. We rented scooters with Karen Ann, Majiks and another boat - Epiphany a Vagabound 47. We toured from one end of the island to the other and by the time we got back to George Town again everyone had numb bums. A quick stop at the Two Turtles for some refreshments and back into the dinghies again and back over the anchorage before nightfall. My birthday was celebrated on Majiks with Karen Ann and Patience (owned by the one and only Hugh Price who likes to dine on carrots). We now had to do a big cleanup on the boat as Adrian and Randy were going to arrive on Sunday, Feb 26th and the two aft cabins had been used to store what was left or our 20 cases of beer and an assortment of other paraphernalia.

| | More
Galliot Cut / Cave Cay– Feb 6th.

We again had to wait for high tide before we could leave Little Farmers Cay. We motored out of the anchorage with about three inches of water under the keel. We anchored just outside of Galliot Cay that evening and had dinner with Karen Ann and Polar Bear. The plan was to get up early the next morning and head for George Town.

| | More
Little Farmers Cay – Feb 2nd

We sailed down the chain another 10 miles to Little Farmers Cay and anchored by Oven Rock in just over 7 feet of water with Majiks. Polar Bear, Karen Ann and Odyssey arrived the day before and were anchored/moored in Big Harbor across from the Little Farmers Yacht Club. There is one dock and a dinghy dock and a bar/restaurant (sort of). Flextime arrived the next day and was anchored in the bay with us. The plan was to spend a few days here as this weekend was the islands biggest event held on the first Friday in February (5 F's). The locals are joined by Bahamians from other islands for a weekend of Bahamian C-Class racing. A new bar and grand stand was built this year for the event. The bar, believe or not was right beside the airport runway and people just walked runway as if it was a street. When a plane needed to land they buzzed the runway first to get everyone off it. The racing boats were sailed to the island or arrived on the supply boat. There were about 10 of these boats and one of the sunk at the start line of the race on the first day. It was dragged back to shore that evening. We really did not watch much of the racing as the schedule was typical of the Bahamas. Not when the race is going to start or where the race course is going to be. The first the race course was all through the boats that were anchored across from the new bar. We spent three lovely days there before moving on to our next stop.

| | More
Black Point Settlement

Black Point was our next stop on the way down the Exuma chain. The village is the largest center of population after George Town. Many cruisers make a point of stopping here as the drinking water is free. There is a clean laundry facility and you can also grab a hot shower while you are waiting. There are a few restaurants and a very limited grocery store. We spent two days here Dan and Kath from Majiks and John, Jazzie and Mario from Star IV. We waited for a high tide departure before heading off to Little Farmers Cay.

| | More
Sampson Cay

This neighboring Cay to the Big Majors Spot anchorage and proved to be a great spot for provisioning. They also had a great bar with sometimes $2.00 draft and half price appetizers. Beer was also free when it was flat.
It is a privately held island with great cottages to rent and a well-protected marina.
This picture is of John and Hanne from Star lV after enjoying a few refreshments.

| | More
Big Majors Sound / Staniel Cay

We made our way here Monday January 23rd and anchored in the good holding behind Big Majors Spot just next to Staniel Cay in 12 feet of water. Again the water and scenery was awesome with many shades of blue and turquoise. This is a great place to provision and to watch the NFL playoffs.
We spent some time feeding the pigs that swim out to the boats that approach the south beach on the island. These animals created some anxious moments when they tried to join us in our dingy.
Lobster hunting began again as we were now out of the park and eager to bag a special meal. No luck that day as we combed the reefs looking for the elusive prize. While the locals say the hunting has been poor this year we are still committed to make it happen.
During this time period we were able to get the washing machine working and further reduced our dependence on Marinas etc.

| | More
02/25/2012 | Frances
Happy Birthday Hilda - thought this would be the easiest way to send you the message. I am sure that you are enjoying the sun - Have a great day.


Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Who: Michael Hall and Hilda Allward
Port: EYC Toronto, Ontario
View Complete Profile »
SailBlogs Friends

Powered by SailBlogs