More Mischief Wherever We Go

Season 5 begins of five months or five years - October 30th, 2015

Antigua Bound

21 February 2013
Six thirty we pulled anchor, raised the sails (of course they were reefed) and started sailing north. There were a few options as to where to spend the night, The Sainte’s which was 19 miles away, Pigeon Island 40 miles or Deshaies 50 miles in Guadeloupe. As it turned out we again crossed the open water passage between Dominica and Guadeloupe in no time at all. We decided that we would head straight to Deshaies as the weather forecast for the next few days would only allow us to spend one night in Guadeloupe unless we wanted to stay a few days. We choose option one even though the wind was up the next morning we decided to push on. It was actually a great sail and we arrived in Jolly Harbor, Antigua on Feb 17th. Michael went into town to check in with customs and immigration and when he returned we spent the rest of the afternoon just relaxing. Speaking of relaxing, all of a sudden someone was whistling and calling us in the anchorage. It was Paul and Joan Bevilacqua from Sarah Song who was there vacationing with some friends that live in Jolly Harbor and also used to be members of EYC. The next day we went into town to check out the possibility of hauling and storing the boat here for the summer and also found the local grocery store. To our surprise it was a real grocery store like back home. This was the first time we had seen a prime rib which was really tempting to buy but a 24.00 lb US, I think not. The next day we motored around the corner and visited with Lance and Susie from Queen Emma and that evening we saw the green flash at sunset. The last time we saw a green flash was when we were anchored in Big Major Spot in the Bahamas. On Tuesday, we got up and headed over to Falmouth Harbor as we wanted to watch the start of the Caribbean 600. We did not make for the start but our good friends Stan and Elizabeth from Dream Walker got some great pictures and shared them with us. The first boat in sailed the course in just over 40 hours…..I really cannot imagine sailing that fast. We have been checking out the neighborhood as this is where the largest sailboats and motor yachts in the world are anchored/docked right now. For example, there is tender called Garsone which is 180 feet long and has a helicopter and numerous other boats on deck and the mother ship is called Ace which is 283 feet long. The Maltese Falcon is also here now which is 289 feet long. It winters here and summers in Monte Carlo. Now if you have unlimited funds and want to charter a boat here, Athena (295 feet) is available at a cool million dollars a month. So, here we are anchored in the lap of luxury waiting for our kids and Randy to arrive.
Comments
Vessel Name: More Mischief
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sunkiss 47
Hailing Port: EYC Toronto, Ontario
Crew: Michael Hall and Hilda Allward
About: The trip of the life time begins. I wonder if it will kill us...5 months or five years. Our 47 foot Jeanneau is to be our home for the next 5 years. At this stage is would be interesting to know what it would be like to spend 24/7 together.
Extra: Year three is about to start. We are heading back to Antigua to launch the boat and plan on cruising back up to St. Marten and then over to the Virgin Islands for the season.
Social:

Who: Michael Hall and Hilda Allward
Port: EYC Toronto, Ontario