Peter, Heloisa and Auke cruising Westwards around the globe with s/v Mundinho

Our position is updated regularly. Click on Current Position (right side) to find out where we are.

18 December 2012 | Shelter Bay Panama
28 November 2012
19 August 2012 | Panama city BYC
14 August 2012 | 7 34.734'N:78 11.947'W, Bahia Pina, Panama
04 August 2012 | 1 48.992'N:78 43.717'W, Tumaco - Colombia
29 July 2012 | 8 24.0264'N:79 04.9178'W, Isla Pedro Gonzalez - Archipel Las Perlas
23 July 2012 | Panama city
21 July 2012 | Colon, Panama
17 July 2012 | Colon, Panama
10 July 2012 | 9 35.228'N:78 52.950'W, Chichime
29 June 2012 | 9 35.346'N:78 40.542'W, Kalugir Tupu and Banedup
26 June 2012 | 9 35.191'N:78 44.751'W, Miriadiadup
24 June 2012 | 9 35.231'N:78 52.839'W, Uchutupu Pippi
21 June 2012 | 9 32.722'N:78 53.754'W, Cay Limon
15 June 2012 | Colon Panama
13 June 2012 | Shelter BAy, Colon Panama
11 June 2012
08 June 2012
06 June 2012 | Shelter Bay, Colon Panama
04 June 2012 | Shelter Bay, Colon Panama

Panama, Colon on the flats (F)

26 April 2012 | 9 20.642'N:79 54.536'W, Colon, Panama
Peter via Satphone
We arrived in Colon yesterday evening 23:00. We have anchored out on the flats (F anchorage for small craft) where it is empty. A single other cruising boat is anchored here and two Dutch tug boats. Today we will get fuel and water and some mail at the Shelter Bay marina on the other side of the bay. We will see if there is a berth available and stay for a day or two to get cleared into Panama and collect some mail. If there is no berth available we have to decide whether to anchor of the Colon Nautico yacht club and to do the clearance or sail to San Blas and do the clearance in Porvenir. One month ago a cruiser was boarded in the night and tied and robbed on board while anchored in front the Nautico yachtclub, hence we are not too keen in anchoring there. The trip went well, except for several hours approximately half way where the winds became calm and a terrible cross sea existed. I guess it must have been the waves pushed up by the North wind fighting the normally Eastern swell. The cross sea was terrible and throwed the boat around. While downwind with most of the swell in the aft quarter, small breaking waves would hit the boat with terrible noise on the side, spraying the decks and the cockpit and everyone in it with seawater over and again. Auke who did well so far without his seasickness pills got seasick then and there and I got into a bad mood after several hours of trying to get the boat steady and sailing again. Nothing seemed to work to get the boat stable and sailing again, and after 4 hours trying in all darkness with all types of sail set ups, I gave up and went to bed for some hours sleep. In the morning we tried again and then as suddenly as we had got it the terrible cross sea disappeared and the boat started sailing again, with the jib poled out to one side and full main fixed out to the other side making good 5 knots in 15 knots true winds. Auke started to get over his seasickness again and as always the bodies of those little ones go in some kind of recovery mode and get an appetite which for a parent you are nearly not able to satisfy. In those recovery modes as parent you are busy preparing bread with cheese, popcorn, anything savory is demanded by the little boy who just eats it up as if he had not eaten in weeks. He was most unhappy we could not make him french fries while at sea, as that would have been very nice according him. At 23:00 we were in between the breakwaters among the big ships. Although very busy with big ships naturally, all heading for and coming from the Panama Canal, it is an easy entrance, wide and as long you stay in contact with Christobal port control (Christobal Signal Station) and out of the fairway you will have no problems. The A IS receiver as I expected you can switch off as we had over 280 filtered targets. With so many filtered targets and ships moving around, you always have several active targets at any one time while heading onto the anchorage in front of Colon and inside the breakwaters , causing alarm on the AIS receiver, even while we have our alarm trigger values set really tight. But with the AIS switched off, with a good pair of eyes (Heloisa) in the cockpit and radar it is no problem approaching Colon at darkness.

On average we did 5.6 Nm per hour which is not bad for this old lady sailing downwind considering we had those 6 hours of calms with terrible cross seas in where the boat speed was not above the 3 knots. Today we eat fresh fish, a dorado we caught several hours after departing San Andres and which Heloisa quickly got cleaned up and cut up in filets and are now stored in our fridge and mini freezer compartment. Great!



Al well with boat and crew.
Comments
Vessel Name: Mundinho
Vessel Make/Model: Koopmans 42 - Ketch - Alu Centerboard
Hailing Port: Harlingen - Holland
Crew: Peter, Heloisa and Auke
About: We are a family of three, a rather international get together with myself being Dutch, my lovely wife being Brazilian and our 7 year old son who carries a Dutch and Brazilian citizenship
Extra: You can follow us here during our two year sailing trip that will take us together via the Caribbean and the Islands in the Pacific to New Zealand. Beyond that I will take Mundinho to Europe solo.
Home Page: www.sv-mundinho.com

Family of three travelling West Bound (slowly)

Who: Peter, Heloisa and Auke
Port: Harlingen - Holland
Peter and Heloisa and their 7 year old son Auke are traveling with their sailing vessel a Koopmans 42. On this blog you can find updates regularly posted of their preparation and trip itself. Feel free to leave a message or raise a question if you have any for Peter and Heloisa.
A family of three cruising with Mundinho around the globe