Sea Change

Cruising on our Catamaran, Murihiku, in the Mediterranean

Vessel Name: Murihiku
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon Catamaran 380S2
Crew: Deborah and Ange
About: From New Zealand, possibly suffering midlife crises, cruising for several months then home to replenish the kitty.
20 June 2014 | Slano, Croatia
11 June 2014 | Bar, Montenegro
18 September 2013 | Lastavo
18 September 2013 | Lastavo
16 August 2013 | Montenegro
16 August 2013 | Albania
16 August 2013
17 July 2013 | London, Devon, Rome, now Nidri
12 July 2013 | Abelike Bay, Meganisi
21 September 2012 | Athens
18 September 2012
31 August 2012 | Milazzo, Sicily
23 August 2012 | Abelike bay, Meganisi
18 August 2012 | Gaieos
13 August 2012 | Corfu town
10 August 2012 | Corfu, Greece
09 August 2012 | Santa Maria di Leuca
30 July 2012 | Straits of Messina
29 July 2012 | Milazzo, Sicily
Recent Blog Posts
20 June 2014 | Slano, Croatia

Back on Murihiku

Facebook connection:

11 June 2014 | Bar, Montenegro

New Zealand to Montenegro

New Zealand to Bar, Montenegro, May and June 2014

18 September 2013 | Lastavo

Croatia

We had an easier trip into Croatia and dutifully tied up at the Cavtat customs wharf. Our crew, Jenny, Vicky, Anne, Angela and Kate had now reached top form as they were due to depart the next day, and were complimented again by the person taking the ropes on shore. They were all confined to the boat [...]

18 September 2013 | Lastavo

Croatia

We had an easier trip into Croatia and dutifully tied up at the Cavtat customs wharf. Our crew, Jenny, Vicky, Anne, Angela and Kate had now reached top form as they were due to depart the next day, and were complimented again by the person taking the ropes on shore. They were all confined to the boat [...]

16 August 2013 | Montenegro

Montenegro (and mountains)

August 11 - 16 Montenegro

16 August 2013 | Albania

Transiting Albania

August 1 - 10 Albania

Montenegro (and mountains)

16 August 2013 | Montenegro
Ange and Deborah
August 11 - 16 Montenegro

(if you are from Owairaka Kindergarten looking for photos of Kate, look in the photograph albums on the right above)

Soon after tying up we had an enormous thunderstorm with torrential rain and thunder directly above us. We realised how much we used the outdoors when we had 9 of us inside, like a caravan in a rainy campground. When the storm passed, we went in three taxis up to the old town to an Ottoman restaurant Angela and Kate had researched. Delicious food and very different by obviously still devout Moslem (no alcohol and no pork anywhere on the menu).

The rest of Montenegro though seems very Christian with lots of Churches and lots of English spoken. At least on the coastal areas we have seen tourism is the only industry.

After a couple of days in a marina in Bar we were keen to get to some clean water so we headed to a bay Fez near Budva expecting it to be relatively empty but found it covered with 2000 umbrellas and lounge chairs. Though we were buzzed by jetskis all day it was quiet by night as we saw a traffic jam trailing, miles around the cliffs of the beach goers going back home. It was quite a contrast at our next stopover in the bay Bigova, full of very nice holiday homes, and swimmers who clearly owned the bay. We ate well at a local restaurant with its own fishing boat and strangely waiters with Montana t-shirts on and Montana on the menu(one staff member had worked in NZ). We were a little sad to leave the next day but we didn't get far before alarms sounded on the port -engine and we were heading back on the starboard engine to anchor manually and discovered the Corfu electrician had over tightened the alternator belt and it had broken. Our fish restaurateur from the night before called a mechanic, whose promised half hour arrival turned into six hours later. Clearly he was a land based mechanic, he gave a thumbs up and a great toothless grin when he got it fixed, and when I dinghied him back to land, he leapt off the dinghy with great enthusiasm but no skill leaving me to lift his enormous toolbox up to him.

Kotor is our last stop and we are anchored at the end of 16 miles of fiord like inlet, all very built up. Kotor first settled in the 3rd century BC and it too is a UNESCO world heritage site. It has been fought over and owned by many empires since. Kate, Angela, Jenny and Vicki climbed the mountain behind this morning to the fortifications high above us. Financial collapses and war fallout has resulted in tourism being all that's left, leaving a hollow but beautiful town. We have an amazing berth, just below a mountain with churches and forts rising vertically to well above the snowline.

Happy to report Deborah's new knee is performing extremely well.



Comments

About & Links