Sea Change

Cruising on our Catamaran, Murihiku, in the Mediterranean

Vessel Name: Murihiku
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon Catamaran 380S2
Crew: Deborah and Ange
About: From New Zealand, possibly suffering midlife crises, cruising for several months then home to replenish the kitty.
20 June 2014 | Slano, Croatia
11 June 2014 | Bar, Montenegro
18 September 2013 | Lastavo
18 September 2013 | Lastavo
16 August 2013 | Montenegro
16 August 2013 | Albania
16 August 2013
17 July 2013 | London, Devon, Rome, now Nidri
12 July 2013 | Abelike Bay, Meganisi
21 September 2012 | Athens
18 September 2012
31 August 2012 | Milazzo, Sicily
23 August 2012 | Abelike bay, Meganisi
18 August 2012 | Gaieos
13 August 2012 | Corfu town
10 August 2012 | Corfu, Greece
09 August 2012 | Santa Maria di Leuca
30 July 2012 | Straits of Messina
29 July 2012 | Milazzo, Sicily
Recent Blog Posts
20 June 2014 | Slano, Croatia

Back on Murihiku

Facebook connection:

11 June 2014 | Bar, Montenegro

New Zealand to Montenegro

New Zealand to Bar, Montenegro, May and June 2014

18 September 2013 | Lastavo

Croatia

We had an easier trip into Croatia and dutifully tied up at the Cavtat customs wharf. Our crew, Jenny, Vicky, Anne, Angela and Kate had now reached top form as they were due to depart the next day, and were complimented again by the person taking the ropes on shore. They were all confined to the boat [...]

18 September 2013 | Lastavo

Croatia

We had an easier trip into Croatia and dutifully tied up at the Cavtat customs wharf. Our crew, Jenny, Vicky, Anne, Angela and Kate had now reached top form as they were due to depart the next day, and were complimented again by the person taking the ropes on shore. They were all confined to the boat [...]

16 August 2013 | Montenegro

Montenegro (and mountains)

August 11 - 16 Montenegro

16 August 2013 | Albania

Transiting Albania

August 1 - 10 Albania

More on kids o board

29 July 2012 | Milazzo, Sicily
Deborah
We left “stinky jellyfish island” we named for the sulphur health baths and Kate’s jellyfish sting the next morning and headed for Isola Salina, another of the Aeolian Islands, which promised no sulphur and being more open hopefully less jellyfish. After Sarah had carefully inspected the water by snorkel Kate bravely got back in the water and we spent the afternoon kayaking swimming and Sarah and Clare dingyed the kids into the village for a look around.

There was an electrical storm forecast overnight but it was difficult for us to believe it as we had seen very little rain so far in the Med. However it arrived with great force, with torrents of rain, lightening filling the sky and bolts just like a cartoon going from the heavens to the water. The kids slept right through it but the adults weren’t so lucky, counting the seconds between lightening and thunder to ascertain how close….. tall masts seemed a bit of a liability then. The next morning, with the wind building and changing direction, our preferred marina on the next island Lipari couldn’t get boats into it because of the storm so we moved onto the marina nearby. We nosed into a small space not realising as more boats limped in during the morning how much they shoe horn them into impossibly tight spaces. We were pleased to be in though as the waves built and were soon crashing over the 8 metre outer harbour wall. It was a charming place though, the tourist tatt being of a significantly higher standard than usual and having good bars and restaurants and of course an excellent gelateria for daily ice creams.

The next day we headed off in search of sun to Milazzo back on Sicily. We ended up on a small marina on the outskirts as we couldn’t get into the main one. However after we were tied up Clare read in her guide book that though the centre of Milazzo is a little dull the older section 50 minutes walk north is the most interesting with restaurants, beaches and markets. Exactly where we were. It certainly was a great place and we just stayed as there were clouds behind us and in front of us but only blue sky above.

Great memories of holidaying with Sarah and Clare and the kids, Kate’s excitement snorkelling and seeing all the fish, and her first dinghy driving lesson; Georgie swimming towards me for ages as I walked backwards (apparently my children tell me this traumatised them but they are all now excellent swimmers); Georgie getting the handle of kayaking at 5, Alex setting the table for a dinner, cutlery random but flowers a requirement, Alex spending a day in hot clothes perfecting his spy look in the mirror, but after watching via the internet with us all as Pat played on TV1 thinking perhaps a rock star could also be a possibility; mid ocean swims a first for them all; kids clambering all over the boat but never looking like falling, kids sitting up with us driving the boat.

Next year we hope they will be holidaying with us in Greece.
Comments

About & Links