MV WATERMELON

21 July 2007
14 July 2007
12 July 2007 | Waxholm and Trosa, Sweden
10 July 2007
06 July 2007
05 July 2007
30 June 2007
05 February 2007 | Ft. Lauderdale, FL
30 October 2006 | Location coordinates: 27 08.893'N, 80 11.666'W
28 October 2006 | Location coordinates: 29 53.516' N, 80 18.54'W
18 October 2006 | Bellhaven, NC
14 October 2006 | Delmarva peninsula
10 August 2006 | Pt. Judith, RI
03 August 2006 | Provincetown to Rhode Island

Waiting for Tropical Storm Beryl

20 July 2006 | Plymouth, MA
Jeanne/Calm before the storm
Peter had decided to stay in Plymouth for the tropical storm that is heading our way, hitting about 2 in the morning. First thing this morning he went into the Harbormaster's office to inquire about renting a mooring for the night, but the Harbormaster said he doesn't handle that anymore, and the marina charges $3.00 a foot to tie up at their dock. That does not appeal to either of us, and when Peter was told that where we are anchored is probably the best place to be anyway, we decided to stay on the anchor. The other three boats anchored nearby had left by the time we got up this morning, and we noticed that one of them was tied to a mooring in the inner harbor.

It has been overcast all day, rather dreary. And it is cold. Of course, coming up the coast from a nasty heat wave in New Jersey and New York, I think that even normal weather would feel cold to tropical flower Peter.

We went into Plymouth for lunch at the Lobster Hut. Having been deprived of good New England fast food for too long, Peter overdid it a bit. He ordered Lobster Bisque, a whole clam roll (none of those clam strips for us! Fried clams have to have bellies to be real fried clams!), and onion rings. Real onion rings, not those crumbed cardboard rings one gets in Burger King and their ilk. It was very good, and Peter had the sense to realize that he couldn't eat it all, so he brought the bisque back to the boat to have tonight. Then we walked around to see if anybody he used to fish with was still alive. And the best of the fellows was there, though after 20 years they did not recognize each other! It is tough to get old, ehhh?

We yakked away catching up on the last 20 years, and Peter mentioned that we were here to hole up for the tropical storm headed our way. Mario said, "why don't you take my mooring out there? It will hold!� It is his hurricane mooring for the Andy Lynn II, just a tad bigger than Watermelon, and he thinks that we will be safer out here than in the inner harbor because there will be less fetch. We thanked him profusely, Peter told the Harbormaster that we were going to tie up to Mario's mooring, and we went back to the boat to rig the lines and get settled. We then removed and stowed the fly bridge Bimini and tied down the frame. We each took a walk around the deck to see if we missed anything, and Peter lifted the dinghy onto the davits.

After all our preparations were done we heard the evening weather report. The winds are expected to be less than originally forecast, which is a good thing, but it is supposed to be rainy and dreary through the weekend. Oh, well.
Vessel Name: Watermelon
Vessel Make/Model: PDQ 34
About: Peter and Jeanne Pockel
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/mvmelon/?xjMsgID=4073

MV WATERMELON