Mysti-Cal Adventures

On an adventure

14 August 2017
13 August 2017 | Baddeck NS
13 August 2017 | Baddeck NS
20 August 2015
16 August 2015 | Indian Cove Washbuck river
16 August 2015 | Coulette Cove
15 August 2015 | Ramea Island Newfoundland and Labrador
14 August 2015 | Grey River
13 August 2015 | Aviron Newfoundland and Labrador
12 August 2015 | Fransois Newfoundand and Labrador Canada
11 August 2015 | Fransois Newfoundand and Labrador Canada
10 August 2015 | Hare Bay
09 August 2015 | Bay D'Espoir, McCallum Newfoundland and Labrador
07 August 2015 | Balden's Cove, Newfoundland & Labrador
06 August 2015 | Sagona Island, Newfoundland & Labrador
05 August 2015 | Fortune, Newfoundland & Labrador

Newfoundland 2015, Sagona Island to Northeast Arm

07 August 2015 | Balden's Cove, Newfoundland & Labrador
After a fast breakfast we took Kato out in the dingy for an explore, first checking out the entrance to the cove for exiting it with less anxiety! (see notes above). We then headed to the foot of the cove and went ashore to visit the grave yard and walk over to eastern Cove. I hopefully brought a bucket for berries. Kato was having a great time bounding around, jumping out at Dave, at one point leaping up against his back and running off. When we got into some boggy land he stood still and meowed loudly until Dave picked him up and carried him.

We read some of the inscriptions, noticing that there were a lot of men named George Snooks buried there, some drowned, some dying young but some in their 80-90s as well. The most recent grave was after the relocation and it seemed the family buried their Dad right next to their Mom.

We hiked through never seeing any berries and came to Eastern Cove which is a pebbled beach with a hill of pebbles some huge storms had made almost into a breakwater protecting the boglands beyond it. We played on the beach among the sun-warmed stones and enjoyed the sunny morning. On the way back to the dingy I discovered that blueberries here grow very close to the ground, and the berries are few and far between, but I got some for my hopeful little bucket!

We dinghy-ed over to see our little fixer upper and had a peek inside. Beds were made up, but the amount of flies and broken boards told us no one had been here for a few years. We carefully closed the door and headed back to the boat.
Saying goodbye and thank you to this special place we carefully wound our way back out into the bay and headed over to the Northeast Arm past Harbour Breton.

We had both sails out and motor off all the way across the bay, sun shining. As we reached the mouth of the arm we took in the sails and turned on the motor so Dave could catch a couple of fish for dinner, and then brought Jenny back out to sail us up the arm.
That was fun whipping through when winds picked us up to 6.7 knots, then dying down we dropped to 3.5, then back up again. The winds came and went depending on the mountains around us but we made it up through the beautiful shores, passing the town of Harbour Breton and three fish farms before we had to take the sail down and turn the motor back on to go through two sets of narrows into Balden's cove. The guidebook cautioned these narrows, but after going into Sagona, this was a piece of cake. The charts seemed accurate and there was plenty of depth and the rocks and shallows were obvious.

The cove was populated with new cottages and once anchored we had boats speeding past us rocking the boat inconveniently as Dave worked on installing the winch. I am often amazed at the lack of sensitivity people in power boats often have. Whenever we pass fishing boats anchored or drifting, we slow right down as a courtesy. I wish that courtesy could be extended to us when we are anchored! A generator was going at one of the cottages and we could hear people calling back and forth. Not such a secluded spot as we anticipated, but very pretty with it's rising forested shores.

We BBQed the fish whole as they were little, removing insides and heads, stuffing them with sliced lemon and herbs and wrapping them in tinfoil. Beans and rice and a salad and we were set.

The cottagers quieted down after some fireworks and we went off to sleep.
Comments
Vessel Name: Mysti-Cal
Vessel Make/Model: Cal 2-46
Hailing Port: North Sydney Yacht Club, Nova Scotia Canada
Crew: Dave Curtis (RIP) , Krow Fischer, Kato Cat
About:
Dave Curtis fulfilled his lifelong dream of being a sailor, when he found a first mate willing to adventure. Krow has never sailed, and, pelican like, dove head first in. They took navigation, seamanship, radio operator, diesel mechanic, diving, and getting as much hands on as they could cram in. [...]
Extra:
Mysti-Cal is a good solid boat that we both loved. So much room inside, great live aboard with amazing storage and the view from the raised salon makes anchoring a beautiful thing! ! She feels like home no matter where she is. We had a big project getting her back into the shape she should be, [...]
Home Page: www.hereonearth.ca
Social:
Mysti-Cal's Photos - Main
July 14 and 15, 2015
No Photos
Created 15 July 2015
launching from Lewisporte Newfoundland and out through Notredame Bay
5 Photos
Created 10 July 2015
No Photos
Created 14 July 2014
Our travels through the Gros Morne area.
21 Photos
Created 14 July 2014
Our journey onwards to the point of crossing to Newfoundland.
32 Photos
Created 10 July 2014
From Tadussac ocross the river and onwards.
6 Photos
Created 7 July 2014
An experiment with gardening aboard..
3 Photos
Created 6 July 2014
Our stay over at Marina du Port de Quebec
13 Photos
Created 4 July 2014
Our journey through the locks and onward up the St. Lawrence.
20 Photos
Created 4 July 2014
Saturday June 28th was a great send off party from Waupoos Marina Folks. They will all forever be part of our journeys as we carry their well wishes and joyful souls with us! Thank you!
18 Photos
Created 4 July 2014