A Year In The Ionian (2015 Retired, Cruising liveaboard)

Getting ready for a year in the Ionian from 20th March 2012. The company I work for has given me a career break. April 2015, Retired, pensioner and hopefully a full time cruising liveaboard.

18 August 2023 | Koukouvitsa Bay.
04 February 2016
16 January 2016
12 September 2015
10 September 2015
10 September 2015
08 August 2015
24 June 2015
31 May 2015
08 May 2015
24 April 2015 | Messolonghi marina
26 March 2015
06 February 2015
08 January 2015 | Me Northampton, Nanjo Messolonghi
01 January 2014
01 January 2014

Happy New Year

08 January 2013 | Messolonghi Marina
Gorgeous sunshine
A very Happy New Year to everybody who reads this blog. I hope that all your dreams and wishes come true for you in 2013.

Monday 31st December to Sunday 6th January 2013

We had agreed to meet up on New Years Eve and go into town to celebrate the New Year, Roy had already booked a table and luckily managed to get Peter, Trix and myself added to it. It was at a gorgeous restaurant I had never been to before, it's known as the "tablecloth" restaurant, and I could see why when we entered. Certainly a lot more upmarket than the paper table cloths I'm used to. A really lovely atmosphere and a very good group playing as well. It was a great evening, I had no idea what the time was, when the band stopped and the lights went out. It was the Greeks midnight and New Year, so hugs all round. The good news for us is, we managed to celebrate the Swiss New Year an hour later, then the UK new year after that. Certainly better having 3 celebrations than the usual 1. It was a beautiful night as we walked back to the marina and our boats, Peter was pointing out various star constellations, which to be honest up until then I've never understood.
The weather on New Years day was just gorgeous and it's stayed that way all week. The nights are a different matter though, and the temperature really drops once that sun goes down. I spent the week doing some of the jobs on my list all outside as the weather was so good. The Avon dinghy has been sitting in the cradle on my cabin top since I left Vlicho. So, I pumped it up and gave it a reaslly good fresh water wash and let it dry in the sun. Then rolled it up and put it away in the cockpit locker. I scrubbed the heads/shower compartment out completely, as it's not used anymore. I was amazed at just how much hair/junk there was around the shower outlet hose. I've put a filter on my list of things to buy? I got both the sails up and hosed them down as best I could, they soon dried in the gorgeous sun, and I was walking around in just my shorts as well. Much to the amusement of the marina staff? The jib was taken down and folded away, a quick look at the stitching and I could see no problems, although the sun sacrificial strip needs replacing on the edge. The mainsail came down next, and thats really showing signs of quite a bit of stitching coming undone. Dave came over for a chat and gave me a hand to fold it back up on the pontoon. They have both been stowed below in the bow cabin now. Tracy had brought me out some cold yellow dye, and I'm going to have a go at re-dyeing the sail cover one day while I'm here. Nanjo looks a lot more naked without her sails on now, I was hoping to have the odd day sail when I first arrived here, but it's never happened and as I've only two months before I fly home, I thought it best to make a start on de-commishoning Nanjo.
I ran the engine for an hour this week, the first time since I arrived here on Dec 1st. being plugged into the electric and not moving I've forgotten about it. I'm glad to say she started 2nd push of the start button and ran beautifully, ahead and astern with her usual steady thump/thump. I will be changing the oils and stripping her down once I'm ashore, and getting her ready for a year on the hard. Another small job was to wash all the ropes that are not being used in fresh water with a bit of fabric conditioner, after a day in the bucket they all regained there suppleness again. They are now all dried and stowed away as well. Dave recommended a wood yard just out past Lidls, so I peddaled out there one day. A really large yard and the two guys there spoke good English as well. I was after some 10mm marine ply for the anchor locker hatch, as mines rotten and collapsing. They had marine ply but it would have cost 80euros, they suggested outdoor ply, which all the fishermen use for cabins. As I intended to cover the ply with epoxy and fibre glass anyway, they reckoned it should last at least 10 years as the fishermen just paint the wood and it lasts 5? Total cost was 20 euros, and they cut it roughly to size for me as well. It was fun cycling back with the two planks under my arm, but I soon mastered it, luckily the cars and buses gave me a wide berth. I reckoned that when I can do it with a plank under each arm, a coffee in my hand and at least two kids on the bike, then I can apply for Greek citizenship? The sunny days were magic, and the views from Nanjo with the snow on the mountains are really a great thing to wake up to.
Saturday and I finally woke up in time to get to the local market before it closed. It's mostly veg and some clothes stalls. I was on a mission to buy some fresh spinach, my first hurddle on looking at the stalls, was, I had no idea what it looked like in it's natural state? Luckily I bumped into Roy and Madeline and she pointed out what I should look for. I soon found a stall with a large box of it, and luckily the guy spoke a little English. He asked how much I wanted, I had no idea so said half a kilo? He then got a plastic bag and commenced to fill it up, honestly he just kept piling it into the bag, and I'm thinking I will have enough for the year? So, I told him to stop, I was amazed to see his scales and I was nowhere near the half kilo. Total cost 80cents. Feeling a bit guilty I bought a gorgeous broccalli, cauliflower,peppers and a couple of chillis, which bumped it up to 4 euros, and left me with a bike full of veg for the week. I'm planning on cooking a deluxe bubble and squeak one night?
Saturday night I was invited for dinner on Peter and Trix's yacht a Vagabond 42, along with Roy and Madeline. Peter has another gorgeous yacht, she was built in Thailand and the interior wooden fit out is just superb, they have a large owners state room aft, with a queen size bed. If money was no object, she's another yacht I would love to own. They have a diesel heater system, and inside was just so warm, with the heater running on a thermostat. I've put one on my wish list of things to buy. As they said, once I'm out here full time, I won't have to use shore side electric to keep me warm, and the diesel heater running costs are a lot less than my plug in fan heater. They are £1,300 new in the UK, so I have a year to find a used one on E-Bay i reckon? Trix is a great cook and she made a dish with rice,prawns,curry powder,some veg and cheese, it was absolutely delish and I've asked for the receipe. She even reckons I can cook it under my grill. It was another great evening in marvelous company.
Sunday morning and I get a knock on my hull, it's Trix and they have noticed a large crowd gathered over in the harbour. We are soon on our bikes and going for a look, it turns out to be a religious ceremony. There are hundreds of people there, and the town band arrives and lead by some peiests all dressed up. At the waters edge they sing a bit and a group of youngsters gathers in the swim gear. Then the priest throws a small cross in and the lads dive after it, that water must have been blooming cold. I'm glad to see a tubby guy I noticed earlier had the cross in his hand. I reckon he let all the skinnies jump in first then jumped in on top of them all? I've heard he gets the pick of the towns virgins, shame he only has the year to find one? I think he really gets blessed by the priest, and has not got to put any money in the collection box for the year?
Sunday afternoon was a group bbq, Dave had seen me on Saturday and mentioned it. So a quick trip into town for some meat at the butchers. Two large steaks cut from the bone, I had a look around and there were some very small skinned animals, who's shape I did not recognise and prefered not to ask about as well. The steaks were only 3e50c a real bargain. I picked up a carton of potato salad as well. There were 10 of us and we all had a great time basking in the sunshine, eating and drinking and swapping stories. I just could not imagine anybody doing this back in the UK?
Peter had mentioned they were showing Woody Allens "Midnight in Paris" at the local cinema and would I like to go. It sounded a great idea to me, so we got in his car and drove there for 7pm, it's the old engine sheds re-furbished and the place does look great from the outside and inside as well. A small cinema and all the seats covered in red draylon just like the old days. The film was being shown from a dvd and through a projector, they even stopped the film half way through so people could get a snack. We were lucky as it was in English with Greek subtitles, it was a lovely way to end Sunday and I would certainly go again. Back on board and the heater was switched on and my cabin soon nice and warm. I spent the evening as usual, wrapped in my love blanket on the settee, watching a film on You Tube or reading my book. I'm going to miss this simple life when I'm back in the UK for sure?
Comments
Vessel Name: Nanjo
Vessel Make/Model: Dromor Discovery 3000
Hailing Port: Nidri, Greece
Nanjo's Photos - Main
What I've been upto.
7 Photos
Created 18 August 2023
Some gorgeous winter weather and at least one job off my list! The wind indicator finally fitted.
22 Photos
Created 6 February 2016
Amazing maxi yacht, now being sailed back to the USA for restoration.
21 Photos
Created 6 February 2016
The last few weeks after Pete left. I had a great time. Picked up my new bike, and at Messolonghi my new crew!
31 Photos
Created 20 January 2016
My mate Pete onboard for a weeks sailing.
13 Photos
Created 20 January 2016
7 Photos
Created 20 January 2016
Joined by three friends at Kefalonia for a weeks sailing. Taken by the underwater camera built into a face mask.
10 Photos
Created 20 January 2016
My best sunrise so far, leaving Sami early. Keffalonia on my right and Ithaca on my left
4 Photos
Created 12 September 2015
A three day round trip to Benitses in Corfu for a Yamaha outboard engine
6 Photos
Created 12 September 2015
11 Photos
Created 12 September 2015
29 Photos
Created 12 September 2015
25 Photos
Created 28 July 2015
73 Photos
Created 27 July 2015
A great time with Pat and Nick, sailing back to Preveza.
51 Photos
Created 24 June 2015
Pictures taken on the trip from Messolonghi to Corfu
66 Photos
Created 31 May 2015
The last of my big repair jobs done and Nanjos launch.
23 Photos
Created 8 May 2015
Pictures from my first few weeks working on Nanjo.
33 Photos
Created 24 April 2015
7 Photos
Created 26 March 2015
Some pics that represent my year.
37 Photos
Created 8 January 2015
Some pictures of my time in the UK.
33 Photos
Created 1 January 2014
My week on Nanjo with my great mate Bon.
15 Photos
Created 1 January 2014
My weeks visit in May.
34 Photos
Created 1 January 2014
Some pics of my time back in the UK.
10 Photos
Created 17 May 2013
Nanjo safely ashore at last.
2 Photos
Created 13 May 2013
Messolonghi.
5 Photos
Created 10 March 2013
Taking the engine apart. Toms stew!
46 Photos
Created 19 February 2013
Suprise hail attack, and snow on the mountains behind town.
11 Photos
Created 14 February 2013
It's been a gorgeous week for sunshine and getting jobs done.
14 Photos
Created 4 February 2013
W/c 21st Jan. Been a few days of torrential rain.
36 Photos
Created 28 January 2013
Jan12/13th The local drag races, held at Messolonghi airfield. Sat:overcast/drizzle about 300 people. Sunday:Brilliant sunshine,about 2,000. A great weekend
56 Photos
Created 15 January 2013
46 Photos
Created 15 January 2013
Photos taken in and around Messolonghi Marina.
104 Photos
Created 8 January 2013
Bought these at a motorway service station. Brilliant scam, these are being mass produced somewhere, and I should think being sold worldwide, so beware. And don't hand over your money like I did! Anybody want to buy a cheap i Pad and phone?
20 Photos
Created 26 December 2012
Some pictures taken in and around Messolonghi.
38 Photos
Created 26 December 2012
I had a fantastic week with Andrea on board. The weather was not great, but we had hired a car for the week. In the end we covered 900 miles in it. Nafpaxtos in the south to Preveza in the north.
66 Photos
Created 18 December 2012
My last long trip, to Nanjos winter home at Messolonghi marina. I had headwinds all the way, so it was a motor job. But a gorgeous dry crisp day. Nanjos all secure now and will be lifted out in February and kept ashore.
62 Photos
Created 18 December 2012
I tried to head for Messolonghi or Limin Petala, but the head winds and storm coming was to much, so turned and ran for Kastos. Where I thought I would be safe! A big mistake. The damage pictures were taken at Kalamos, where I really should have gone when I had the chance. Which is a much safer harbour. Lesson learned.
29 Photos
Created 18 December 2012
I was hoping to get into the harbour at Astakos, but it was full of fishing boats, and the vacant spots had lines across. So, anchored just past the breakwater. Nice town
21 Photos
Created 18 December 2012
A lovely small anchorage.
13 Photos
Created 18 December 2012
Leg 4, a long trip!
49 Photos
Created 17 December 2012
I decided to walk to Port Leone. A deserted village after the earthquake in the 1950's. A gorgeous day and a 2 hr walk each way.
50 Photos
Created 17 December 2012
I decided to give my "Topclimber" a try out.
9 Photos
Created 17 December 2012
Leg 3
27 Photos
Created 17 December 2012
Leg 2
39 Photos
Created 17 December 2012
First leg of my trip to Messolonghi.
20 Photos
Created 17 December 2012
the sunshines over and the storms have arrived, torrential rain,thunder and lightning and gale force winds!
56 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
Pete Kings week on board Nanjo. A mixture of storms,sunshine,wind?
40 Photos
Created 30 October 2012
A weeks holiday, sailing around the Southern Ionian.
56 Photos
Created 25 September 2012
59 Photos
Created 5 September 2012
87 Photos
Created 3 August 2012
Alone again, it's Bye Bye Corfu and hello Southern Ionian.
25 Photos
Created 7 July 2012
58 Photos
Created 9 June 2012
75 Photos
Created 5 May 2012
Loads still to do????
92 Photos
Created 3 April 2012
Arrived on Tuesday night to a flooded yacht. Not a problem as I have a year to sort it out.
61 Photos
Created 22 March 2012
All the stuff being delivered out to Nanjo. 15 boxs and 213kg!!! Unfortunately I could not wrap the motorbike up and post it?
1 Photo
Created 19 March 2012
I spent 3 weeks on a shake down cruise around the southern Ionian. Actually only 9 days on the move and 6 harbours. Everything went well, except the problem anchor winch!
29 Photos
Created 5 February 2012
Westerly Tempest, 31ft Bilge Keel. Master and Commander. John Shutler
20 Photos
Created 1 February 2012
The last yacht I looked at, and lying in a yard near Nidri, Greece.
24 Photos
Created 25 January 2012