A Year In The Ionian (2015 Retired, Cruising liveaboard)

Getting ready for a year in the Ionian from 20th March 2012. The company I work for has given me a career break. April 2015, Retired, pensioner and hopefully a full time cruising liveaboard.

18 August 2023 | Koukouvitsa Bay.
04 February 2016
16 January 2016
12 September 2015
10 September 2015
10 September 2015
08 August 2015
24 June 2015
31 May 2015
08 May 2015
24 April 2015 | Messolonghi marina
26 March 2015
06 February 2015
08 January 2015 | Me Northampton, Nanjo Messolonghi
01 January 2014
01 January 2014

Gorgeous weather the Suns back. Yippeeee

04 February 2013 | Messolonghi marina
Monday 28th January
Woke to more rain? But luckily it didn't last long, as having brekkie below is not my ideal way of starting the day. The Peters went into town to collect the solar panels, good job for us he has the use of Wems car while they are in Thailand. I made a start on taking the wind gen down, my original idea was to take the fan blades off while in the A frame. That soon proved to be a non starter as they were in really tight,must have been all that spinning in the storms. I had allowed enough spare wire to lift the gen off and place it on the A frame rails,before undoing the chocolate box connection. After attaching a rope to the gen, just in case I drop it, and as we all know it would not fall into the cockpit but the sea?Undoing the two securing bolts and it was soon down and in the cockpit. Down below and on the table, it was a lot easier to remove the blades with a rubber mallet. A wash in hot water and a polish, and then stowed up in the bow cabin for later. Peter arrived with my panels, and I'm glad to say that after a trial fitting, they will be ideal. I just need some brackets to mount them, so will pop into town tomorrow to the chandlers. Being the typical nosey bloke, I had to take the cover of the black box on the underneath of the panel, it just contained the + and - connections and a diode. The panels are fitted with waterproof connectors, and a quick search on the net later, and I found the connector needed to connect two panels together, all the bumf I'd read warned about sloppy connections and the amount of power you can loose even before it gets to the battery. I spent the rest of the day enjoying the warm sun, so nice to see it back again. Dinner was a rather nice mashed spuds/bacon/onion/pepper combo all done in the frying pan, bubble and squeak style. It tasted great straight out of the pan, but with a splash of Chinese sweet chilli dipping sauce, it was superb. I rounded of a busy day, listening to Louis Jordan and a glas or two of wine.

Tuesday 29th
I'm up supprisingly early, which shocks everybody on my pontoon, as I don't normally put my head outside till 10am. It's a gorgeous morning, so brekkie in the cockpit for starters. My first port of call for the day is the chandlers, and luckily he speaks great English. He knows what I'm looking for, as he as been asked for it before, but he does not know of a supplier in Greece? He shows me an alternative which, everybody ends up using instead. As luck would have it he only as one and I need eight, so they are put on order, should arrive on Wednesday? Next stop the solar panel guy, I downloaded a picture of the connectors I need and even the part number onto my lap top. I showed him the picture, a quick search on his computer with his supplier, and you guessed it, they don't supply it. He then went onto explain that it's not needed and all they do is cut the waterproof connectors fitted, twist the wires together and screw them into a chocolate box? I must be honest that I wasn't suprised, they would use that option. I told both Peters on my return as they are having there panels fitted and wired in by the shop. Next stop was Carrefours for some supplies, then the Chinese shop looking for a plastic chopping board. Roy had shown me how he had used one as insulation for his panels, between the stainless steel A frame and alloy of the panel to stop corrosion, a good idea.I had no luck with the board, but was suprised to see the shop has already removed all the winter clothes and replaced them with light weight summer gear. Maybe thats a sign summers on it's way back? It was a gorgeous day with plenty of hot sun, I'm lounging around in my shorts and t-shirt. I've been trying to sort out somewhere to rent back in the Uk, and having found a place near my depot, my main problem now is trying to get the documents signed and returned. My sister visited the flat tonight and confirmed it will be ideal for me with plenty of storage space (to put the boat gear from E-Bay?) and a garage for the Yam. Typically they want a chat with me, and to see my passport/driving licence, even though they know where I am? Made another superb dinner, rice,tin of meat balls,sweet corn, pepper all blended together and eaten straight out of the saucepan, absolutely delish with fresh crusty bread. I watched Dune on You Tube, a classic film. A very cold night for some reason, so the heater was stuck in the stern cabin for 40mins before I turned in.

Wednesday 30th
Another early start for me, it's another gorgeous morning, a quick brekkie and I'm of to the laundry with my washing. Have a quick chat with Swedish Peter, he is moving his yacht over to the harbour wall, as Kosma is coming to fit the A frame he made for him. he's really excited and, has all his instruments on including his chart plotter. As he says it's his first trip of the year? It's about 500mtrs away. My washings soon done and luckily the post is brought down and my personal cards have arrived from the Uk, ordered from Vista print and sent to my sister,I'm well inpressed by the quality of them. Back on board and the washings soon on the line. A quick bike ride to the chandlers and my fittings are in, next job is to chop my old plastic chopping board. It's pretty tough, but luckily the jig saw soon has it in pieces. Some measuring and I'm drilling the holes for the fittings, a trial run on the A frame and one of the fittings drops off before I can catch it, typically It's one bounce in slow motion on the transom step, then a plop into the water. Oh well, a trip in the morning for a replacement. Feeling I've done enough for the day, and the suns absolutely gorgeous, I have a walk into town to the veg shop, and naturally pick up a spinach pie on the way back. Eaten sitting on my favourite bench, watching the birds and just enjoying life. I'm going to miss these moments. I give the letting agents a ring and they have thankfully agreed to do the paperwork for me, and all I have to do is photograph my passport and e mail them a copy and the flats all mine. It's a big relief to be honest, and strangely I'm looking forward to moving in there, even though it means I'm back at work? It turns out the flat is built on the site of an old lunatic asylum, so I should fit right in I reckon. Peter was back so I went to have a look at his A frame, as expected Kosma had done a great job, and it looks really good, he had even made the brackets for Peters solar panels, so his were a 10min bolt on. The temperature dropped once the sun went down, the good bit now is it's getting later every day. Dinner was a throw together, and was superb, I was glad there was enough for seconds. Spent the evening reading a book Daves lent me about the saxophone and having the odd glass of wine.

Thursday 31st January
Slept really well, just did not want to get out of my warm bunk. But, I dragged myself up at 9am and had a lovely breakfast sitting in the cockpit again, The suns already beaming down and It's a going to be a lovely day again.My first job is to cycle to the chandlers for two more clamps, thought I better get a spare? Back on board and get everything ready,drill,hacksaw,spanners,tape,marker pen,clamps in fact by the time I've got out all the tools I think I'll need the cabins in a mess and the cockpits full of stuff. I place the solar panel down on a towel to protect it, and drill the mounting holes in the alloy frame. It's soon apparent that the U bolts I have are to long, they were the smallest size he had, so it's out with the hacksaw and cut a 1/4 inch of all of them, thats 16 cuts. It took longer than expected as the bolts were stainless, place the first four on the A frame,plastic spacer on top then the solar panel, typically three go in easily. Jiggle the frame a bit and the fourth goes in, only for me to hear a pinging noise as one of the brackets at the other end falls off and joins it's mate from yesterday? This is why I bought 2 this morning. Then I discover a major cock up on my part, I can't get my fingers in to put the nuts on the U bolts? It's pretty fiddly, and theres not much space, and after dropping 2 nuts, which joined the brackets at the bottom of the marina, I threw a few F--ks about and sat down for a re-think. This was meant to be a 10 minute job, but as we all know there is no such thing. Only thing is back to the chandlers and see if he has anything else I can use? Really glad he's only a 5min bike ride away, and he shows me a small bracket, which will be ideal and uses seperate bolts/nuts so should be easier to attach. I need 8 but thinking ahead buy 10, just to be on the safe side. The funny thing is my original U bolts cost 30 euros, he did offer to exchange them when I explained what had happened, but I had already cut 1/4 inch of all of them, so they will stay in my spares box. The better replacements cost 20 euros? Back on Nanjo, and obviously none of the holes match the new brackets. Luckily I had re-charged the drill, 8 holes later and the first panel was ready to go up. It went together beautifully, and I didn't drop anything. A quick few minutes to admire my handiwork and I got the second solar panel out of it's box,at least this one would only have the 8 holes instead of the 16 it's neighbour has. It all went together really quickly, the only heart stopping moment was when I nearly dropped my ratchet spanner doing up one of the nuts, but I reckon the gods were smiling on me and it caught in my elbow. They are mounted solidly now, and should not have to be moved, hopefully? A quick tidy up and putting the tools away, then time for a beer and cheese sarnie and sit back and admire my handiwork. I did a voltage check and got 17 volts out of both panels combined, so somethings happening. They recommended covering the panels before connecting them up, so a couple of towels thrown on top did the job. I reluctently cut the waterproof connectors off and joined everything in the chocolate box connector from the wind gen, some ty raps to make it all look a bit neater and it was job done. I will get the proper connectors in the Uk and wire it all up when I return. Removing the towels gave me a green light on my regulator, so the power was going to my batteries, it would be nice to know how much though, so I might look for a small meter to put in line. A job that took longer than expected, and a bit more for my learning curve as well, so a good day I reckon. I was glad to put the large cardboard box the panels came in, in the bin. For a treat, I made a big throw together for dinner, and have promised myself a giros next time I'm in town. I spent the evening chilling with some of Daves saxophone cd's and his book, and of course a glass of wine.

Friday 1st February
Up early again for some reason, must be the sun shining through my back cabin window? It's the first of the month, so time for a shower. Lovely hot water,and 30 cents well spent. back on board I reckon my beard needes a trim. Out with the battery beard trimmer and the blades are a bit corroded, a quick clean with some wd40 and they are spinning happilly again. Set the blades to No 3 position, switch on and straight into the middle of my goatee, and it ploughs a groove to my skin. The well lubricated blade had moved from it's No3 position straight to zero when I applied pressure. Oh well, nothing for it but to have a zero cut all over, I can't remember when I last saw my chin? Luckily it will soon grow back? Had a gorgeous brekkie in the cockpit, and as it's the 1st, had a massive clean up and polish down below. I just don't know how Nanjo accumulates so much dust and rubbish down below, as it's only me on her, I have nobody I can blame. Luckily it's soon done and the smell of pledge fills the saloon. It's still only noon, so I fancy a walk around for a bit. Load my pockets with dog biscuits and go looking foer my two buddies, I can't find Mutley or Fang anywhere, so somebody else must be taking them for a walk. I spend the next 2 hours just walking around town and the surrounding streets, typically I forgot my camera, and spotted a small pick up truck trying to reverse out of a driveway. In it's bed was a complete VW Golf on it's side, with a large chest freezer strapped on top, absolutely amazing,just wish I had my camera. Picked up a couple of bottles of wine and on my way back, popped into the small giros shop for a takeaway, eaten on the way back to Nanjo. The suns beaming down and it's a gorgeous afternoon, so stop at the fish harbour for a sit down and watch the antics of the fishermen. Back on board and my battery monitor is showing 14.4 volts and a nice green light on the regulator, I've disconnected the battery charger now, so will see if the panels can keep up with my electric usage. I've been having problems with my lap top working slowly, so downloaded a free pc tune up program. It's a 24hr trial, but you can use all it's facilities in that time. It found 1580 things wrong, so they were fixed along with all the recommendations it made to speed things up. I must be honest, it took a few hours, as I'm not that computer competant, but I'm well impressed with the results. I've gained a lot more free memory and everythings a lot quicker as well. Just wonder if after the 24hrs it all reverts back to the way it was? Spent the evening doing bangers and mash,reading Daves book and just relaxing.

Saturday 2nd February
Slept like the dead, I must have been over doing things lately? Woke up at 09:30, more my usual time. Bit cloudy out, but still nice enough for brekkie in the cockpit with radio 4 playing in the background. The forecast is for a sunny weekend, so my first job is to cycle to Carrefours for some steaks, two large ones for 3 euros and a tub of potato salad for tomorrows bbq. I'm soon back, and my first job is to oil my bike, it was making a hell of a racket pedaling to the supermarket, spent the rest of the morning sunbathing in the cockpit. Went for a walk in the afternoon, no sign of Mutley and Fang again, I thnk they have had a better offer of dog biscuits/walks? Just wandered around for 90mins, found some run down houses right next to some really well looked after places, it seems the same in the Uk, big difference between those doing ok and those not? Back on Nanjo and it was time to have a sit in the cockpit and relax with a beer, watching the cormorants diving under water. I fryed one of the steaks with an onion for my dinner, delish. Spent the evening reading and listening to some cd's.

Sunday 3rd February.
I was up early again, no idea why? Had a gorgeous hot shower before brekkie, just to liven me up a bit. Breakfast in the cockpit, then a relaxing time before the group barbie at 12:30. It was blowing a fair bit.so we moved the tables and chairs behind the loo block, plenty of new faces as well. I met four more Brits,a lovely French couple and Christine who is Dutch. We all spent the time chatting away while waiting for our different meats to cook. One topic that has me worried is, the marina as ran out of cradles to store any more yachts ashore? I'm due to be lifted out in two weeks, so not something I wanted to hear. I will call into the office tomorrow and see whats happening. My steak went down well, along with some of the dishes others had brought, and Trix had brought some delish sweets from a stall out of town, typical Greek and very sweet with plenty of honey on them. Bernard owns a gorgeous gaff rig schooner, that can set an impressive 9 sails in one go, if the conditions are right, and there is only him and his wife. I had a fantastic afternoon, chatting to everybody. Dave had mentioned a group playing at the Avant Garde bar in town, and 5 of us ended up going there at 19:30 The place was packed, so we spent some time standing at the bar, but grabbed a table in the corner asap. We were all drinking beers and getting large plates of tappas to tuck into as well. We noticed a vacant sofa nearer the bar, so Maggie and me got up to grab it and noticed the reserved sign, Oh well. I asked one of the waiters about it, but his English was worse than my Greek? A few minutes later, I had a tap on the shoulder by a young woman, asking me what I would like? Which to be honest threw me completely, I wasn't sure if she was offering to buy me a drink or something else? Luckily she refrased her question after she saw the confused look on my face. She wanted to know what I had asked the waiter? A couple of seconds later and we were sitting on the reserved leather, waiting for the band, we also got a free round of drinks on the house. The band turned up about 23:00 and Oh boy, they were excellant, a three piece Greek blues band. All the songs were in English, and they could all play really well. They got a young guy up from the bar, who played harmonica with them, he was superb as well. It was one of those nights where we didn't know what to expect or how good they would be. They finally finished at 2am, Maggie bought one of there cd's. It was a lovely night for a stagger back to the marina and our yachts, I can't remember when I last had 5 pints of beer? Back on board and the heater was quickly placed in the back cabin, the first thing I noticed though, was just how much I smelt of ciggarette smoke, not nice,believe me. 20mins later and I was in my bunk and well asleep.

Comments
Vessel Name: Nanjo
Vessel Make/Model: Dromor Discovery 3000
Hailing Port: Nidri, Greece
Nanjo's Photos - Main
What I've been upto.
7 Photos
Created 18 August 2023
Some gorgeous winter weather and at least one job off my list! The wind indicator finally fitted.
22 Photos
Created 6 February 2016
Amazing maxi yacht, now being sailed back to the USA for restoration.
21 Photos
Created 6 February 2016
The last few weeks after Pete left. I had a great time. Picked up my new bike, and at Messolonghi my new crew!
31 Photos
Created 20 January 2016
My mate Pete onboard for a weeks sailing.
13 Photos
Created 20 January 2016
7 Photos
Created 20 January 2016
Joined by three friends at Kefalonia for a weeks sailing. Taken by the underwater camera built into a face mask.
10 Photos
Created 20 January 2016
My best sunrise so far, leaving Sami early. Keffalonia on my right and Ithaca on my left
4 Photos
Created 12 September 2015
A three day round trip to Benitses in Corfu for a Yamaha outboard engine
6 Photos
Created 12 September 2015
11 Photos
Created 12 September 2015
29 Photos
Created 12 September 2015
25 Photos
Created 28 July 2015
73 Photos
Created 27 July 2015
A great time with Pat and Nick, sailing back to Preveza.
51 Photos
Created 24 June 2015
Pictures taken on the trip from Messolonghi to Corfu
66 Photos
Created 31 May 2015
The last of my big repair jobs done and Nanjos launch.
23 Photos
Created 8 May 2015
Pictures from my first few weeks working on Nanjo.
33 Photos
Created 24 April 2015
7 Photos
Created 26 March 2015
Some pics that represent my year.
37 Photos
Created 8 January 2015
Some pictures of my time in the UK.
33 Photos
Created 1 January 2014
My week on Nanjo with my great mate Bon.
15 Photos
Created 1 January 2014
My weeks visit in May.
34 Photos
Created 1 January 2014
Some pics of my time back in the UK.
10 Photos
Created 17 May 2013
Nanjo safely ashore at last.
2 Photos
Created 13 May 2013
Messolonghi.
5 Photos
Created 10 March 2013
Taking the engine apart. Toms stew!
46 Photos
Created 19 February 2013
Suprise hail attack, and snow on the mountains behind town.
11 Photos
Created 14 February 2013
It's been a gorgeous week for sunshine and getting jobs done.
14 Photos
Created 4 February 2013
W/c 21st Jan. Been a few days of torrential rain.
36 Photos
Created 28 January 2013
Jan12/13th The local drag races, held at Messolonghi airfield. Sat:overcast/drizzle about 300 people. Sunday:Brilliant sunshine,about 2,000. A great weekend
56 Photos
Created 15 January 2013
46 Photos
Created 15 January 2013
Photos taken in and around Messolonghi Marina.
104 Photos
Created 8 January 2013
Bought these at a motorway service station. Brilliant scam, these are being mass produced somewhere, and I should think being sold worldwide, so beware. And don't hand over your money like I did! Anybody want to buy a cheap i Pad and phone?
20 Photos
Created 26 December 2012
Some pictures taken in and around Messolonghi.
38 Photos
Created 26 December 2012
I had a fantastic week with Andrea on board. The weather was not great, but we had hired a car for the week. In the end we covered 900 miles in it. Nafpaxtos in the south to Preveza in the north.
66 Photos
Created 18 December 2012
My last long trip, to Nanjos winter home at Messolonghi marina. I had headwinds all the way, so it was a motor job. But a gorgeous dry crisp day. Nanjos all secure now and will be lifted out in February and kept ashore.
62 Photos
Created 18 December 2012
I tried to head for Messolonghi or Limin Petala, but the head winds and storm coming was to much, so turned and ran for Kastos. Where I thought I would be safe! A big mistake. The damage pictures were taken at Kalamos, where I really should have gone when I had the chance. Which is a much safer harbour. Lesson learned.
29 Photos
Created 18 December 2012
I was hoping to get into the harbour at Astakos, but it was full of fishing boats, and the vacant spots had lines across. So, anchored just past the breakwater. Nice town
21 Photos
Created 18 December 2012
A lovely small anchorage.
13 Photos
Created 18 December 2012
Leg 4, a long trip!
49 Photos
Created 17 December 2012
I decided to walk to Port Leone. A deserted village after the earthquake in the 1950's. A gorgeous day and a 2 hr walk each way.
50 Photos
Created 17 December 2012
I decided to give my "Topclimber" a try out.
9 Photos
Created 17 December 2012
Leg 3
27 Photos
Created 17 December 2012
Leg 2
39 Photos
Created 17 December 2012
First leg of my trip to Messolonghi.
20 Photos
Created 17 December 2012
the sunshines over and the storms have arrived, torrential rain,thunder and lightning and gale force winds!
56 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
Pete Kings week on board Nanjo. A mixture of storms,sunshine,wind?
40 Photos
Created 30 October 2012
A weeks holiday, sailing around the Southern Ionian.
56 Photos
Created 25 September 2012
59 Photos
Created 5 September 2012
87 Photos
Created 3 August 2012
Alone again, it's Bye Bye Corfu and hello Southern Ionian.
25 Photos
Created 7 July 2012
58 Photos
Created 9 June 2012
75 Photos
Created 5 May 2012
Loads still to do????
92 Photos
Created 3 April 2012
Arrived on Tuesday night to a flooded yacht. Not a problem as I have a year to sort it out.
61 Photos
Created 22 March 2012
All the stuff being delivered out to Nanjo. 15 boxs and 213kg!!! Unfortunately I could not wrap the motorbike up and post it?
1 Photo
Created 19 March 2012
I spent 3 weeks on a shake down cruise around the southern Ionian. Actually only 9 days on the move and 6 harbours. Everything went well, except the problem anchor winch!
29 Photos
Created 5 February 2012
Westerly Tempest, 31ft Bilge Keel. Master and Commander. John Shutler
20 Photos
Created 1 February 2012
The last yacht I looked at, and lying in a yard near Nidri, Greece.
24 Photos
Created 25 January 2012