Voyages of S/V NautiMoments

A Sailing Trip to the Caribbean and Other Destinations unknown.

El Salvador Rally - Bahia del Sol, El Salvador

26 April 2012 | Bahia del Sol, El Salvador
Ken
In Mazatlan we met Bill and Jean on Mita Kuuluu, who are the organizers of the El Salvador Rally. This is a destination rally held at Bahia del Sol Marina from March 17 to April 29 with many land based activities. The rally is sponsored in large by the El Salvadorian government which made it very easy to check into the country. There was over 50 boats that made the trek from Mexico this year. We enjoyed the rally immensely as it was a great opportunity to meet other cruisers and do some land travel to see this beautiful country. The government is trying to promote tourism and at our opening dinner we had the Minister of Finance, the Minister of Tourism and the head of the Ports present.
You have to remember though that this is a third world country thus the amenities are as such. The docks are made with long logs with 2x4 decking supported by barrels. The cleats are lag bolted through the deck and into the logs. The average population does not have all the luxuries we have either living usually in tin or thatched roofed huts with walls made from whatever is available. As we drove past the poor areas in San Salvador I could not avoid noticing all the satellite dishes on the roofs of the tin shacks. I am sure they are accompanied by a big screen TV where I imagine the locals would watch Dancing With the Stars, lol! It is normal to see true dugout canoes crossing the estuary laden with people, water jugs, food and other wares. There is no fresh water on the island in the estuary thus all water and supplies have to be transported in by water. When you drive through the villages you see long eared cows, pigs, dogs and chickens running free. The cows and horses are their system of keeping the roadside grass short. You have to get used to the smell of burning garbage and plastic in the night as this is their way of disposing of garbage. Since it is a poor country there is no recycling or garbage pickup programs, except maybe in San Salvador. The first time I smelt this off the coast of Mexico I was checking the boat to see what was burning. They also burn the sugar cane fields prior to harvesting which smells very much like marijuana burning. The people are very friendly and we never have felt unsafe. They are very proud and always want to know how we like El Salvador.
Bahia del Sol is a bit isolated thus provisioning is usually done at the local market, a 20 minute dinghy ride up the estuary, or in San Salvador. The market is very rustic with limited selection. San Salvador is a hour and a half taxi ride away ($80.00US) or several hours on a chicken bus. We would usually get several boats together and take a van/taxi. San Salvador is very Americanized and has everything available at good prices. Booze, food and textiles are relatively cheap; we even found Sunbrella for $9.95US per yard. One of our cruisers purchase a new Yamaha 15HP 2 stroke for about $2500.00US.
At 4:00pm each day is cruisers Happy Hour. This is when the cruisers migrate to the pool at the marina to cool off, social time and enjoy $1.00 beers, etc. Many of us are on mooring ball in the estuary while others are at the docks and a few at anchor. Since the moorings balls are only $100.00 per month we find it is not worth it to be at anchor as you should reset weekly or you anchor will be way down in the mud. As with any area near the jungle the bugs come out at happy hour to greet us; although we do not get them on the boat in the estuary.
We found the rally was well worth it but also realise that crossing the bar can be a filter to cruisers wanting to join. You should remember that each boat is guided in and as long as you follow the pilots instructions you should have no problems.
Comments
Vessel Name: NautiMoments
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter 41DS
Hailing Port: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Crew: Ken and Carole Downes
About:
Carole was born in England and Ken was born in the Okanagan Valley, British Columbia. Our home is in Cloverdale, BC, Canada. In August 2011 we sail for San Francisco, Mexico, Panama, Caribbean then Europe and the Mediterranean. We plan to cruise for as long as we enjoy it and we are able. [...]
NautiMoments's Photos - Main
30 Photos
Created 18 January 2013
14 Photos
Created 18 January 2013
2 Photos
Created 18 January 2013
15 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
41 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
14 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
23 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
20 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
3 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
13 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
2 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
20 Photos
Created 19 December 2012
14 Photos
Created 19 December 2012
19 Photos
Created 5 December 2012
Here are some images we took of El Salvador and Guatamala. These images show the diversity and culture of these countries.
32 Photos
Created 10 May 2012
Here is some shots of us and other boats crossing the bar at Bahia del Sol. Some of the images look worse then it actually is as they are taken from a jetski just ahead of the boats. Everyone enjoyed the ride. Some of the women who helmed across the bar said it was better then sex; but I doubt that.
15 Photos
Created 5 May 2012
6 Photos
Created 22 March 2012
21 Photos
Created 29 February 2012
21 Photos
Created 29 February 2012
38 Photos
Created 14 February 2012
14 Photos
Created 5 February 2012
4 Photos
Created 1 February 2012
21 Photos
Created 25 January 2012
20 Photos
Created 11 January 2012
20 Photos
Created 30 November 2011
6 Photos
Created 8 November 2011
25 Photos
Created 8 November 2011
20 Photos
Created 8 November 2011
7 Photos
Created 8 November 2011
Two Harbours and Avalon
52 Photos
Created 26 September 2011
13 Photos
Created 26 September 2011
20 Photos
Created 22 September 2011
18 Photos
Created 22 September 2011
9 Photos
Created 22 September 2011
10 Photos
Created 8 September 2011
20 Photos
Created 7 September 2011
5 Photos
Created 25 November 2010
55 Photos
Created 15 October 2010
In July 2010 NautiMoments, with her crew of 5 onboard, joined 8 other member boat of the Blue Water Cruising to sail offshore. This was a test of our boats and our selves. At 8:00 on July 13 we sailed from our birth in Point Roberts, down the Strait of Georgia, Boundary Pass, Haro Strait, Strait of Juan de Fuca and up the west coast of Vancouver Island to Ucluelet, with overnight stops in Sooke, Bamfield and Turtle Bay (in the Broken Island Group). We then sailed offshore before returning to the Broken Group. Then we sailed the return trip to our home port of Point Roberts.
33 Photos
Created 16 August 2010
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover ........(Mark Twain)........ Life is too short to not live your dreams.