Voyages of S/V NautiMoments

A Sailing Trip to the Caribbean and Other Destinations unknown.

San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua

13 December 2012
kenandcarole@gmail.com
Dec 10, 2012 - We arrived in San Juan del Sur in the southern part of Nicaragua after a 36 hour trip from Bahia del Sol. The weather window was good for the Papagayos winds so we just kept going rather than stopping in Puesta del Sol in northern Nicaragua. We had a great trip down and did some sailing along the way, unfortunately we motored most of the way. When we left Bahia del Sol we realized we had an issue with the charging system, even though we had all new batteries, after some investigation we found that a switch was not quite right and fixed that. Also, when we went to turn the engine off ready for a sail, we found the button to switch off the battery did not work and while underway we did not want to start working in the engine compartment, so we motored the rest of the way to San Juan del Sur. Once we arrived and the anchor was down we then investigated along with a fellow cruiser and found the emergency shut off on the engine itself, so that is now our backup until we determine the problem with the main button.
Wow, San Juan del Sur is an amazingly beautiful anchorage and a great little town. Check in went smoothly and cost us $45 for immigration, nothing for the Port Captain. It is a surfer town and lots of expats live there. We spent the next few days walking around town, visiting the market and testing out who had the best Mojito in town. The Lone star had the best one! We think that this town is the best kept secret around, we met a fellow from the states who visits often and he said he downplays the place to his friends as he wants the town to stay as it is. It was Fran's birthday and she had chosen a restaurant called Culibri, this was the best meal by far. All of us thoroughly enjoyed the meal, it was not heavy and everything was cooked to perfection. Great place, great people.
Dec 13, 2012 - We took a trip into Grenada, I had a picture in hand of a bench that Penny & Craig (sister) had seen and she wanted me to look for it. Penny, unfortunately, we never did find the bench. Nicaragua is a very pleasant surprise, originally we had not planned on visiting here but we are glad we did. On the way to Grenada, we saw several Ox & Carts being used on the farms, horse & carts and ATV's & carts, mostly the first 2 though. There is a lot of farming in Nicaragua, we saw Sugar Cane, Corn, Mango trees, Teak trees, papayas, plantain & banana fields, we are also told they grow Pineapple. The landscape is clean and tidy, the fields sectioned and the homes well taken care off. They obviously have a lot of pride in their properties. They are not fancy but well taken care of. Along the Pan American highway we saw several Wind turbines and 2 or 3 volcanoes. Once in Grenada, we walked around the city, visited a museum and enjoyed the market in the square. The whole trip cost us $90 total for all 4 of us. The driver even stopped at a grocery store for us on the way home and we stopped by the side of the road and bought fresh watermelon. Carole is not a watermelon fan at home but these down here are very tasty and she likes them.
Dec 14, 2012 - It is now time to check out of the country and move farther south to Bahia Santa Elena. We arrived at the Port Captains office at 9:30am and he prepared our Zarpe (paper for checking out) which cost $25 and then advised us that Immigration will not be able to come until 11am, so we had to wait. Immigration came at 11am and processed the paperwork, stamped our passports and charged us $43 which we felt was a little high, we found out later that he charged our friends $30, so I think it changes day by day as to what he charges. All in all though we loved Nicaragua and would go back there for a visit again. We left the anchorage at 12:30 headed for our next stop.
Comments
Vessel Name: NautiMoments
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter 41DS
Hailing Port: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Crew: Ken and Carole Downes
About:
Carole was born in England and Ken was born in the Okanagan Valley, British Columbia. Our home is in Cloverdale, BC, Canada. In August 2011 we sail for San Francisco, Mexico, Panama, Caribbean then Europe and the Mediterranean. We plan to cruise for as long as we enjoy it and we are able. [...]
NautiMoments's Photos - Main
30 Photos
Created 18 January 2013
14 Photos
Created 18 January 2013
2 Photos
Created 18 January 2013
15 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
41 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
14 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
23 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
20 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
3 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
13 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
2 Photos
Created 17 January 2013
20 Photos
Created 19 December 2012
14 Photos
Created 19 December 2012
19 Photos
Created 5 December 2012
Here are some images we took of El Salvador and Guatamala. These images show the diversity and culture of these countries.
32 Photos
Created 10 May 2012
Here is some shots of us and other boats crossing the bar at Bahia del Sol. Some of the images look worse then it actually is as they are taken from a jetski just ahead of the boats. Everyone enjoyed the ride. Some of the women who helmed across the bar said it was better then sex; but I doubt that.
15 Photos
Created 5 May 2012
6 Photos
Created 22 March 2012
21 Photos
Created 29 February 2012
21 Photos
Created 29 February 2012
38 Photos
Created 14 February 2012
14 Photos
Created 5 February 2012
4 Photos
Created 1 February 2012
21 Photos
Created 25 January 2012
20 Photos
Created 11 January 2012
20 Photos
Created 30 November 2011
6 Photos
Created 8 November 2011
25 Photos
Created 8 November 2011
20 Photos
Created 8 November 2011
7 Photos
Created 8 November 2011
Two Harbours and Avalon
52 Photos
Created 26 September 2011
13 Photos
Created 26 September 2011
20 Photos
Created 22 September 2011
18 Photos
Created 22 September 2011
9 Photos
Created 22 September 2011
10 Photos
Created 8 September 2011
20 Photos
Created 7 September 2011
5 Photos
Created 25 November 2010
55 Photos
Created 15 October 2010
In July 2010 NautiMoments, with her crew of 5 onboard, joined 8 other member boat of the Blue Water Cruising to sail offshore. This was a test of our boats and our selves. At 8:00 on July 13 we sailed from our birth in Point Roberts, down the Strait of Georgia, Boundary Pass, Haro Strait, Strait of Juan de Fuca and up the west coast of Vancouver Island to Ucluelet, with overnight stops in Sooke, Bamfield and Turtle Bay (in the Broken Island Group). We then sailed offshore before returning to the Broken Group. Then we sailed the return trip to our home port of Point Roberts.
33 Photos
Created 16 August 2010
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover ........(Mark Twain)........ Life is too short to not live your dreams.