S/V Navigo

We cannot change the wind, but we can adjust our sails.

08 October 2012 | CR
08 October 2012 | CR
05 October 2012 | Campbell River, BC
03 October 2012 | CR
02 July 2012 | CR
02 July 2012 | CR
20 June 2012 | Campbell River, BC
14 June 2012 | Campbell River, BC
13 June 2012 | Campbell River, BC
12 June 2012 | Campbell River, BC
11 June 2012 | Campbell River, BC
05 May 2012 | Campbell River, BC
10 April 2012 | Puerto Vallarta
09 April 2012
08 April 2012 | Nuevo Vallarta
07 April 2012 | Anywhere in Mexico!
06 April 2012 | Bucerias, Nayarit
02 April 2012 | Pitillal
31 March 2012 | El Pitallal, Jalisco

A New Mexican Town

31 March 2012 | El Pitallal, Jalisco
Camelia
Bob and I are so excited about learning where the good old Mexican towns are that have great tasting Mexican food at Mexican prices. Most of them are right under our nose and we don't know it! It's exactly what we have been looking for and now with our new friends here in Paradise we are learning where they all are.

On Thursday night we were asked by Jim & Ellen on s/v Toothpick and Bill (condo resident here in Paradise) to join them for dinner at a taqueria. They called it the Blue Tarp because it is covered with ......a blue tarp. I know there really is a proper name to it but I can't recall it at the moment. Next time we go there I will find out what the name is. We have been to this town a couple of times and I did a blog on Jarretaderas, but we have never been to this taqueria. It had 2 small tables with 4 chairs and a hot grill to cook on. One table was too small for 5 people so we pulled the tables together hoping no one else would come while we were there since we were using both tables. We ordered two different dishes that our friends suggested, a chicken enchilada with mole sauce and gorditos. They were fabulous. One water, one cerveza, 2 orders enchilada and one gordito = $9.60 Cdn filled to the gills.

Jim was happy to see that we enjoy good Mexican food, so he offered to share his knowledge of more great places to see and eat and asked if we were interested in going to Pitallal, the next night (last night). Another small town just outside PV. You bet ya!

We were ready at 6:00 pm sharp with our bus fare in hand all prepared to head to Pitalla. We had to take 2 buses however it only took about 45 minutes to get there. We walked about a block to the center of town where several vendors were set up selling their ware. There is a huge church across from the center that has an enormous statue of Christ at the front of the church. All the churches we have seen in Mexico are so beautiful inside and with so much detail.

We walked about a block further arriving at the taqueria we would be eating at. Only a few small tables inside , while outside there was a large grill where the Taquero was busy slicing meat with a long sharp knife, off a huge piece of pork, called a "trompo" that hung on a spit. Thin pieces were cut off, cooked on the grill then placed on a small corn tortilla. A small piece of pineapple that sits at the top of the trompo ,is added to each " taco al pastor". Then topped with white onion and cilantro. You then add lime and hot sauce if you like. Wow! We loved them and had never tasted anything like this.

Once we finished eating here we took about 20 steps or less to buy desert! A bag of warm, sweet, crunchy, mouth watering Churros. There was a long line of people so you just knew they were going to be good. Yummy, Yummy but bad for the tummy.

Next stop, back to town square where vendors are selling more great looking things to eat, crepes, hotdogs wrapped in pastry with fries, fruit cups, baked bananas and more, which all looked so good but we certainly had no room for any. Quick stop across the street to purchase Hot Tamales for lunch tomorrow.

Cruisers midnight was nearing (9:00pm) so we jumped back on a bus homeward bound. We are planning on coming back so we can explore more of this busy little Mexican town.




Comments
Vessel Name: Navigo
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 42CC
Hailing Port: Campbell River, British Columbia, Canada
Crew: Bob & Camelia
About: Bob grew up in Musquodoboit Harbour, Nova Scotia and Camelia grew up in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Our plans are to leave Vancouver on Sept. 1, 2011 to sail down the west coast of the USA to Mexico for the winter.
Extra: We would love to hear from you so please send us an email to: bobandcamelia@gmail.com

S/V Navigo

Who: Bob & Camelia
Port: Campbell River, British Columbia, Canada
We cannot change the wind, but we can adjust our sails.