Sailing Adventures of Necessity

07 October 2014 | Murcia Region, Spain
05 October 2014 | Valencia
03 October 2014 | Formentera
01 October 2014 | Ibiza
29 September 2014 | Western Mediterranean Sea
28 September 2014 | Hammamet, Tunisia
22 September 2014 | Sicilian Straits
19 September 2014
17 September 2014 | Licata, Sicily
30 June 2014 | Azores
15 June 2014 | Galicia
22 May 2014 | Sicily
19 May 2014 | Licata, Sicily
17 May 2014 | Marina di Ragusa
16 May 2014 | Marsala
14 May 2014 | Licata
12 May 2014 | Malta to Tunisia Passage
11 May 2014 | Marina di Cala del Sole
09 May 2014 | Malta

Last Day in Europe

21 October 2011 | Budapest, Hungary
Brian Hall
Friday October 21, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
Fortunately the rain ended overnight so when we started out about 9Am the skies were grey and cool. Our destination is the Hungarian Parliament which was constructed for their millennium celebration in 1896. It represents a magnificent complex of towers domes and stained glass sitting on the banks of the Danube on the Pest shore. On the way we passed the banking district and some of the embassies housed in period buildings. The planned tour for 10AM was sold out before we arrived so we booked the 2PM session and got a third ticket in hopes Melinda would be able to join us. Next we poked into some antique shops nearby, drooling over the wonderful 18th century sideboards and armoires. Definitely will not fit in the luggage! Having some trouble with the currency conversion. Here 10000 Florints is about $50 so it is strange to carry notes with that many zeros.
We walked along the Danube enjoying the views across to the Buda side and gradually worked our way back to Melinda’s apartment where we scheduled a lunch date with Melinda at a small café nearby. After lunch the three of us headed back to Parliament where the tour was spectacular. The building is complete with marble columns, ornate woodwork, handmade carpets and impressive chandeliers. We got to see the Hungarian Crown Jewels and Coronation regalia which was only repatriated from the US in the 1990s.
From here we wandered around town enjoying the sunshine and doing a bit of shopping before returning to the apartment for appetizers and drinks. Salom joined us and we walked to the Gerloczy Café for a marvelous dinner including a harpist who filled the small restaurant with lovely sounds. Afterwards, back at the apartment we enjoyed a late night drink and some lively conversation. The two have been terrific hosts and the location perfect for our short stay in Budapest.
We are looking forward to our return to Canada tomorrow having had a first class holiday and terrific introduction to Eastern Europe.
Comments
Vessel Name: Necessity
Vessel Make/Model: Corbin 39 Mark II Pilothouse
Hailing Port: Bayfield, Ontario, Canada
Crew: Dean Nisbett & Brian Hall
Extra:
Departed Bayfield, Ont. in 2006. New York to Azores in 2007, Azores to Galicia, Spain and down the Iberian Penninsula in 2008. Spain & Morocco in 2009. Spain-Corsica-Sardinia-Sicily-Tunisia in 2010. Tunisia-Malta-Montenegro-Croatia-Venice-Greece-Turkey, over 2,000 miles over four months, 14 [...]