Sailing Adventures of Necessity

07 October 2014 | Murcia Region, Spain
05 October 2014 | Valencia
03 October 2014 | Formentera
01 October 2014 | Ibiza
29 September 2014 | Western Mediterranean Sea
28 September 2014 | Hammamet, Tunisia
22 September 2014 | Sicilian Straits
19 September 2014
17 September 2014 | Licata, Sicily
30 June 2014 | Azores
15 June 2014 | Galicia
22 May 2014 | Sicily
19 May 2014 | Licata, Sicily
17 May 2014 | Marina di Ragusa
16 May 2014 | Marsala
14 May 2014 | Licata
12 May 2014 | Malta to Tunisia Passage
11 May 2014 | Marina di Cala del Sole
09 May 2014 | Malta

Fethiye

29 April 2012 | Fethiye
Fresh Crew aka Jim
Early morning at anchorage, the day begins with the local fishermen casting off and returning to their nets; no one, not even Tim, really believes that there will be anything in any of the nets. But then, we're not dependent on the day's catch.

With bright clear skys and a bountiful breakfast, the day's plan was to snorkel the shallows and then set sail for a short hop to Fethiye. The short swim led to a full circumnavigation of the nearest island; beautiful clear water allowed viewing of some marine life but nothing to warrant great excitement nor breaking out the fishing tackle. After a short recovery period and with everything back in place, Necessity was freed from the mooring and set course for the town of Fethiye and the Lycian tombs.

The coastal area was spectacular with the snow capped range in the distance, a smart breeze and smooth waters. Maintaining a steady speed around 6 knots, the trip across the "Fethiye Korfezi" was most enjoyable. With light boat traffic the crossing was a pleasure and spiced up with the sighting of sea turtles. We understand that the turtle population is in recovery and we can attest to the fact that this is likely the case!

With ideal winds we were able to sail to the very entrance to the marina. Once settled, captain and crew set ashore for much needed ablutions and then a trek through the city with our sights on the towering cliffs above the city which hold the ancient Lycian tombs carved out of the rock. Despite some encouragement from the Captain and crew, no member of Necessity was interred and all set off for a delightful dinner high over the city with an impressive view of the harbour and the city of Fethiye. As dinner concluded, the late evening call for prayer echoed out over the city from the numerous minaret; "... no Dorothy, you are definitely not in Kansas!" With slightly cool evening air settling in, the crew of Necessity completed an enjoyable evening stroll through the city stopping briefly to take in a local wedding celebration and then arriving back to the boat for another quiet and restful night in Turkey which was well earned after the day's adventures.
Comments
Vessel Name: Necessity
Vessel Make/Model: Corbin 39 Mark II Pilothouse
Hailing Port: Bayfield, Ontario, Canada
Crew: Dean Nisbett & Brian Hall
Extra:
Departed Bayfield, Ont. in 2006. New York to Azores in 2007, Azores to Galicia, Spain and down the Iberian Penninsula in 2008. Spain & Morocco in 2009. Spain-Corsica-Sardinia-Sicily-Tunisia in 2010. Tunisia-Malta-Montenegro-Croatia-Venice-Greece-Turkey, over 2,000 miles over four months, 14 [...]