Sailing Adventures of Necessity

07 October 2014 | Murcia Region, Spain
05 October 2014 | Valencia
03 October 2014 | Formentera
01 October 2014 | Ibiza
29 September 2014 | Western Mediterranean Sea
28 September 2014 | Hammamet, Tunisia
22 September 2014 | Sicilian Straits
19 September 2014
17 September 2014 | Licata, Sicily
30 June 2014 | Azores
15 June 2014 | Galicia
22 May 2014 | Sicily
19 May 2014 | Licata, Sicily
17 May 2014 | Marina di Ragusa
16 May 2014 | Marsala
14 May 2014 | Licata
12 May 2014 | Malta to Tunisia Passage
11 May 2014 | Marina di Cala del Sole
09 May 2014 | Malta

Spending Cash in Kas

05 May 2012 | Kas, Turkey
Tim
The trip to Kas was the new crew’s first proper sailing experience of this year. Turning left after leaving the Kalkan harbour we had favourable winds that allowed us to shut the engine down and proceed under sail. In spite of having Tim at the helm we made good time in mostly the right direction toward the island of Meis. As we were about to jibe towards the entrance to the harbour the wind died down and we had to motor in to the harbour. Black storm clouds over the mountains implied a pending thunderstorm so we were very happy to arrive at the almost new Kas Marina facility without ever testing the theory that trailing battery cables in the water will protect you from a lightning strike.

The Kas marina confirmed Crew’s theory that sailboat cruising is either “Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous” or “Trailer Park Boys” depending on the experience at any given moment. Swimming in the Olympic sized infinity pool looking out the bay towards the turquoise blue Mediterranean is clearly in the former category. Sleeping at night listening to the snores and other night time emissions of your cabin mate is a much more earthy experience.

We walked around the town and explored a ruined temple that was currently being excavated. Interestingly enough we were not allowed to take pictures of the site but I guess to make up for the restriction the workmen invited us to have lunch with them.

Our next stop was a restored amphitheatre that we were told would seat 4700 people. It has a spectacular view out over the ocean and remarkable acoustics. It was clearly not well planned though because there is no way you could fit in a full sized ice surface.

Back in town we found a local YATCS – Yet Another Turkish Carpet Store for the uninitiated. Jim and Crew continued their quest for the ultimate Turkish carpet experience. This involves a mysterious process of identifying thread counts, carpet age, type of fibre, and dyes used for colouring all described in vivid detail by the carpet seller. All I know is they make me sneeze so I sat outside on a Lycian tomb and watched the cats and motor scooters.

After an average meal and some truly awful wine (there is bad food here too you just have to look harder) we went back to the boat to listen to a few tunes and retire for the night.
Comments
Vessel Name: Necessity
Vessel Make/Model: Corbin 39 Mark II Pilothouse
Hailing Port: Bayfield, Ontario, Canada
Crew: Dean Nisbett & Brian Hall
Extra:
Departed Bayfield, Ont. in 2006. New York to Azores in 2007, Azores to Galicia, Spain and down the Iberian Penninsula in 2008. Spain & Morocco in 2009. Spain-Corsica-Sardinia-Sicily-Tunisia in 2010. Tunisia-Malta-Montenegro-Croatia-Venice-Greece-Turkey, over 2,000 miles over four months, 14 [...]