Sailing Adventures of Necessity

07 October 2014 | Murcia Region, Spain
05 October 2014 | Valencia
03 October 2014 | Formentera
01 October 2014 | Ibiza
29 September 2014 | Western Mediterranean Sea
28 September 2014 | Hammamet, Tunisia
22 September 2014 | Sicilian Straits
19 September 2014
17 September 2014 | Licata, Sicily
30 June 2014 | Azores
15 June 2014 | Galicia
22 May 2014 | Sicily
19 May 2014 | Licata, Sicily
17 May 2014 | Marina di Ragusa
16 May 2014 | Marsala
14 May 2014 | Licata
12 May 2014 | Malta to Tunisia Passage
11 May 2014 | Marina di Cala del Sole
09 May 2014 | Malta

Antics in Antalya

14 May 2012 | Antalya
Dean
Antalya has an international airport and a very fine marina complete with an infinity pool. The Celebi Marina is located 5 miles SW of the old quarter and city center. The ancient harbour at Antalya proper is quite small. Gulets and small fishing boats pretty much take up all the space.
Antalya is quite a big city of about 1.5 million. It was part of the Hellenistic Federation of Pamphylia. It was not until the Roman conquests that Antalya gained some prominence. There is a remarkably intact triple arch dedicated to the Emperor Hadrian in 130 AD.
There are numerous shops located within the old quarter. And many carpet sellers. Jim & Crew have been looking at carpets all along the way. They have become quite knowledgeable on kilims and carpets. Wool on wool, wool on cotton, silk and natural dyes. But how much to pay for one? Obviously not the opening price. Some wonderful advice from Jim's aunt (who owns many Turkish carpets) made them decide to opt for a 'magic carpet ride' at a reasonable price. And did we ever get one. Wonderful shop with two ladies weaving away in a side room, Turkish tea, many cold bira followed by Raki and the deal was done. Even Tim, who is quite allergic to dusty old carpets participated. The Raki seemed to clear up his nasal passages somewhat.
And what better way to follow-up an exhilarating afternoon of carpet buying? Why a visit to a Turkish berber on a side street well off the beaten path. Hair cutting, very close shaving, shampoo, message, waxing and even fire! A small torch was ignited and the flame was wafted into the ears to remove all the hair. The wax was applied to the nose, forehead and up into the nasal passages. And when ripped off all the nasal hairs came too!!
Next morning a taxi arrived at the agreed upon time to take Jim and Tim to the airport. Such good crew - ever eager to try everything from snorkling, sailing, repairing, hiking to ruins, exploring, anchoring and sampling a wide array of local cuisine. Crew and I hope they will sign on yet again for another sailing adventure on Necessity.
Comments
Vessel Name: Necessity
Vessel Make/Model: Corbin 39 Mark II Pilothouse
Hailing Port: Bayfield, Ontario, Canada
Crew: Dean Nisbett & Brian Hall
Extra:
Departed Bayfield, Ont. in 2006. New York to Azores in 2007, Azores to Galicia, Spain and down the Iberian Penninsula in 2008. Spain & Morocco in 2009. Spain-Corsica-Sardinia-Sicily-Tunisia in 2010. Tunisia-Malta-Montenegro-Croatia-Venice-Greece-Turkey, over 2,000 miles over four months, 14 [...]