Sailing Adventures of Necessity

07 October 2014 | Murcia Region, Spain
05 October 2014 | Valencia
03 October 2014 | Formentera
01 October 2014 | Ibiza
29 September 2014 | Western Mediterranean Sea
28 September 2014 | Hammamet, Tunisia
22 September 2014 | Sicilian Straits
19 September 2014
17 September 2014 | Licata, Sicily
30 June 2014 | Azores
15 June 2014 | Galicia
22 May 2014 | Sicily
19 May 2014 | Licata, Sicily
17 May 2014 | Marina di Ragusa
16 May 2014 | Marsala
14 May 2014 | Licata
12 May 2014 | Malta to Tunisia Passage
11 May 2014 | Marina di Cala del Sole
09 May 2014 | Malta

Howard & Brenda Tims Arrive

19 April 2013 | Rhodos
Brian Hall

Tuesday April 16, 2013
It was cleanup day so as Rene cleaned the boat inside Brian adjusted the steering linkage and cleaned out the fuel tank vent which was partially clogged. Then Rene cleaned the plexiglass and we installed the covers on the pilothouse windows which cut down on the heat.
Heading off for a short walk we noticed a powerboat maneuvering near the bottom of the harbour in a fairly tight spot especially considering the brisk breeze that was blowing. Thinking nothing of it we went off in search of our old antique dealer to see if he had found the top to the oil lamp we had looked at on Saturday. He had indeed found the lid, as well as a wick and was ready for us to return. He insisted we join him in a toast of watered ouzo before departing with our prize. Arriving back at the harbour, the powerboat we had seen earlier trying to dock was now tied across the bows of 2 sailboats, with a line around his prop which had disabled his engine. The older man and his wife were in a bad state and we stayed to help as the boat was finally manhandled into a slip awaiting a diver.
Returning to Necessity we read while awaiting Howard & Brenda’s arrival from Santorini. Hearing a commotion we looked up to see a 39’ sailboat about to touch our bow, his anchor fouled in our anchor chain. As he tried to get free we heard our chain being pulled out from the anchor locker. Just then Howard & Brenda arrived. What an introduction to Med anchoring! Rene started the engine in case we needed it to hold us off the wall but it promptly stalled and wouldn’t restart. Chaos reigned while the offending cruiser turned around in different directions until he finally shook off our chain from his anchor and sped away without a word. Thank goodness for the pick up line which held us in place until we could secure our anchor. We welcomed Brenda & Howard aboard and enjoyed a bouncy evening with a teriyaki stir fry by Rene.
Brian on board Necessity, Rhodes Greece
Comments
Vessel Name: Necessity
Vessel Make/Model: Corbin 39 Mark II Pilothouse
Hailing Port: Bayfield, Ontario, Canada
Crew: Dean Nisbett & Brian Hall
Extra:
Departed Bayfield, Ont. in 2006. New York to Azores in 2007, Azores to Galicia, Spain and down the Iberian Penninsula in 2008. Spain & Morocco in 2009. Spain-Corsica-Sardinia-Sicily-Tunisia in 2010. Tunisia-Malta-Montenegro-Croatia-Venice-Greece-Turkey, over 2,000 miles over four months, 14 [...]