Sailing Adventures of Necessity

07 October 2014 | Murcia Region, Spain
05 October 2014 | Valencia
03 October 2014 | Formentera
01 October 2014 | Ibiza
29 September 2014 | Western Mediterranean Sea
28 September 2014 | Hammamet, Tunisia
22 September 2014 | Sicilian Straits
19 September 2014
17 September 2014 | Licata, Sicily
30 June 2014 | Azores
15 June 2014 | Galicia
22 May 2014 | Sicily
19 May 2014 | Licata, Sicily
17 May 2014 | Marina di Ragusa
16 May 2014 | Marsala
14 May 2014 | Licata
12 May 2014 | Malta to Tunisia Passage
11 May 2014 | Marina di Cala del Sole
09 May 2014 | Malta

Final Preparations

19 May 2013
Brian Hall

Wednesday May 1, 2013
Had a more leisurely morning and enjoyed breakfast at the apartment before heading down to Necessity. Martin, our woodworker, arrived with questions about the wood we wanted. It will be 100 Euros for a piece of oak to fix the rubrail. We made arrangements to meet about 4:30 to review the other aspects of the job and then go to pay the wood guy. Rene and I finished up the last few jobs on board and with things looking good, went for a walk and lunch at a really nice restaurant high above the bottomless lake in Ag Nik. In spite of no octopus entre being on the menu, they indulged me with fabulous grilled tentacles and Rene enjoyed a risotto featuring shrimp with an ouzo pepper cream sauce.
Relaxed, we wandered around the town and then I took Rene back to the apartment and went to wait for Martin. As I waited, I stewed about the batteries. Last summer, even with the solar panels turned away from the sun, there was too much charging, leaving the batteries way over charged. The plan was to disconnect the solar panels altogether but there was some residual current draw which made this risky. So we will try to provide a load to use up most of the energy the panels create and I wondered how best to provide this. Martin finally arrived one hour late and we went over the worklist adding some repairs to the teak toerail and welding of some hairline cracks in the forward cleats. That finished, we went off to the chandlery (or swindlery, as he calls it) finding it closed and then on to the wood guy, who was not there either. Martin & I had a beer together while we waited and I learned that Martin was an engineer who had run large ships out of New Zealand for several years before retiring to his 50 yr. old 36’ racing yacht. He is also a diesel mechanic so if we cross paths again we will get him to have a look at the engine as well.
By the time I returned to Necessity the sun was going down and I started looking for a 12v plug to hook up a load for the solar panels. It took 3 plugs before finding one that worked with a bow light we had purchased some years back. Concerned I might miss the laundry pickup I scurried off collecting it and picked up Rene before going back to Necessity to finish up.
We had snacks at the apartment and finished some packing before bed.
Brian in Manos Apartments Ag Nik, Crete
Comments
Vessel Name: Necessity
Vessel Make/Model: Corbin 39 Mark II Pilothouse
Hailing Port: Bayfield, Ontario, Canada
Crew: Dean Nisbett & Brian Hall
Extra:
Departed Bayfield, Ont. in 2006. New York to Azores in 2007, Azores to Galicia, Spain and down the Iberian Penninsula in 2008. Spain & Morocco in 2009. Spain-Corsica-Sardinia-Sicily-Tunisia in 2010. Tunisia-Malta-Montenegro-Croatia-Venice-Greece-Turkey, over 2,000 miles over four months, 14 [...]