Sailing Adventures of Necessity

07 October 2014 | Murcia Region, Spain
05 October 2014 | Valencia
03 October 2014 | Formentera
01 October 2014 | Ibiza
29 September 2014 | Western Mediterranean Sea
28 September 2014 | Hammamet, Tunisia
22 September 2014 | Sicilian Straits
19 September 2014
17 September 2014 | Licata, Sicily
30 June 2014 | Azores
15 June 2014 | Galicia
22 May 2014 | Sicily
19 May 2014 | Licata, Sicily
17 May 2014 | Marina di Ragusa
16 May 2014 | Marsala
14 May 2014 | Licata
12 May 2014 | Malta to Tunisia Passage
11 May 2014 | Marina di Cala del Sole
09 May 2014 | Malta

Ragusa Ilba

11 April 2014
Brian Hall

Sunday April 6, 2014
No one got up early savoring the quiet, but overcast morning. We began to get concerned that Southcotts had succumbed to a sleeping sickness or escaped thru the forward hatch. Meanwhile, Brian discovered another carafe on board to replace the pump thermos which imploded a few days ago so we were able to finally make drip coffee again. By the time we got everyone showered and ready to leave it was noon. The trip to Ragusa Ilba (lower town) was uneventful until we neared the town and then we wound down thru a large valley and back up the other side finally reaching the quaint hill town. From our parking place it was pretty much straight up to the town following ramps & staircases till we finally reached the top of the hill. Now we could see the Cathedral – below us! So down we went finally coming to the oblong angled piazza with the massive Baroque Cathedral St. Georgio at the top end. All was closed for lunch so we found an empty restaurant and refueled. Not a memorable experience.
Then we went to the Cathedral which was magnificent. The nicest we have seen so far. There was a lady applying gold leaf to the decoration on a pulpit, interesting procedure. Next we toured the church museum and enjoyed the collection of religious icons and garments. As the weather cleared, the strollers increased and the place seemed to come alive. The streets are mostly pedestrian which affords lots of opportunity to take in the baroque architecture. Jackie snapped plenty of pictures while Rene went back to the Cathedral in a vain attempt to reclaim her lost Tilley hat. The square led downhill and ended at a cross street and a palm lined park with another church. It seemed to have some kind of sundial on the outer wall.
Leaving town Brian located the easy way and we were soon back at our parking space. The question was which way was home? After a few false starts trying to follow the GPS we gave up and used the city direction signs and eventually made our way back to Necessity about 8PM. Cheese and crackers passed for dinner and we quickly taught Jackie how to play Euchre. Proving a quick study, she and Brian won two games straight before bed. Jackie bid & made a lone hand, wow!!
Brian on Board Necessity
Marina diCala delSole, Licata
Comments
Vessel Name: Necessity
Vessel Make/Model: Corbin 39 Mark II Pilothouse
Hailing Port: Bayfield, Ontario, Canada
Crew: Dean Nisbett & Brian Hall
Extra:
Departed Bayfield, Ont. in 2006. New York to Azores in 2007, Azores to Galicia, Spain and down the Iberian Penninsula in 2008. Spain & Morocco in 2009. Spain-Corsica-Sardinia-Sicily-Tunisia in 2010. Tunisia-Malta-Montenegro-Croatia-Venice-Greece-Turkey, over 2,000 miles over four months, 14 [...]