Sailing Adventures of Necessity

07 October 2014 | Murcia Region, Spain
05 October 2014 | Valencia
03 October 2014 | Formentera
01 October 2014 | Ibiza
29 September 2014 | Western Mediterranean Sea
28 September 2014 | Hammamet, Tunisia
22 September 2014 | Sicilian Straits
19 September 2014
17 September 2014 | Licata, Sicily
30 June 2014 | Azores
15 June 2014 | Galicia
22 May 2014 | Sicily
19 May 2014 | Licata, Sicily
17 May 2014 | Marina di Ragusa
16 May 2014 | Marsala
14 May 2014 | Licata
12 May 2014 | Malta to Tunisia Passage
11 May 2014 | Marina di Cala del Sole
09 May 2014 | Malta

West to Sciacca

20 April 2014
Brian Hall

Thursday April 17, 2014
After picking up the rental car, we all headed to the battery shop where Brian tended to the purchase. Meanwhile Irene and Jackie checked out the wine shop next door. Along with barrels of wine from which the water bottles are filled, the store contains dozens of Sicilian products like pesto, mustards, local honey, bruchettas and lots of condiments we haven’t seen before. By the time we left we had a goodly selection of items to sample. We returned the new battery to the boat and tried it for good measure before leaving Licatta for the west of Sicily. By noon we were in the port town of Sciacca which has a very large fishing fleet. Down by the harbour we found a lovely restaurant with a terrific view of the Med. Rene and Jackie sampled the lobster pasta, Jim had swordfish and Brian had the grilled calamari. Excellent!
After lunch we stopped at nearby Eraclea Minoa an archealogical site which was established about 600BC after the King of Crete, Minos chased Daedalus here from Crete. The site has only been one third uncovered, including an amphitheatre and some housing. The site is spectacular on a hilltop point of land with views in all directions. From here we went to one of the best beaches on the island which, although deserted, was reportedly very crowded all summer. We stopped at a beachside restaurant and Jim ordered a latte for he and Jackie.. They both looked puzzled when 2 glasses of hot milk appeared. After some discussion with the owner the milk was replaced with 2 Café Lattes which was more to their liking.
On the way home we drove by the Valley of the Temples, the Greek site we had visited with Ange and Stewart. The sandstone temples shone like gold in the late afternoon sun. There was a photo op and we were back on our way again to Necessity where we had fresh oranges and apples with cheese and crackers and played some more euchre to determine the champions, still inconclusively.
Brian on Board Necessity
Marina diCala delSole, Licata
Comments
Vessel Name: Necessity
Vessel Make/Model: Corbin 39 Mark II Pilothouse
Hailing Port: Bayfield, Ontario, Canada
Crew: Dean Nisbett & Brian Hall
Extra:
Departed Bayfield, Ont. in 2006. New York to Azores in 2007, Azores to Galicia, Spain and down the Iberian Penninsula in 2008. Spain & Morocco in 2009. Spain-Corsica-Sardinia-Sicily-Tunisia in 2010. Tunisia-Malta-Montenegro-Croatia-Venice-Greece-Turkey, over 2,000 miles over four months, 14 [...]