Sailing Adventures of Necessity

07 October 2014 | Murcia Region, Spain
05 October 2014 | Valencia
03 October 2014 | Formentera
01 October 2014 | Ibiza
29 September 2014 | Western Mediterranean Sea
28 September 2014 | Hammamet, Tunisia
22 September 2014 | Sicilian Straits
19 September 2014
17 September 2014 | Licata, Sicily
30 June 2014 | Azores
15 June 2014 | Galicia
22 May 2014 | Sicily
19 May 2014 | Licata, Sicily
17 May 2014 | Marina di Ragusa
16 May 2014 | Marsala
14 May 2014 | Licata
12 May 2014 | Malta to Tunisia Passage
11 May 2014 | Marina di Cala del Sole
09 May 2014 | Malta

Eivissa

01 October 2014 | Ibiza
Dean, on board Necessity
The Balearic Islands are situated off the Spanish east coast. The main islands are Mallorca, Menorca, Ibiza and Formentera. Necessity is berthed at Marina Ibiza. Ibiza Island is about 160 nm south of Barcelona and about 85 nm east of Valencia. And I am very happy to be here. What a destination after such a long passage. We departed Licata on the south coast of Sicily on Sept. 20th for a 170 nm passage to Tunisia. We then departed Hammamet, Tunisia on Sept. 23rd for the long 545 nm passage to Spain arriving at Eivissa on the 28th after five days at sea. That is over 700 nm in eight days. What a crew!
Ibiza was settled by the Carthaginians in the 6th century BC. (Please – someone ask me why!!) and they built the original fortification here at Ibiza city now known as D’Alt Vila, but called Ibasim by them. There is a local legend here on Ibiza that Hannibal was born just off the west coast at Isla Conejera. This is false. Hannibal and his brothers Hasdrubal & Mango, were born in Carthage. Their father Hamilcar Barca took his family and followers to Spain after the First Punic War when Hannibal was only a lad of eight. So Hannibal grew up around Cartegena (translates “New Carthage”) on the SE coast of mainland Spain.
Then followed the Romans, Normans, Byzantines and finally 500 plus years of Moorish control. But back to Ibiza…….
Marina Ibiza is well appointed. Necessity does not look too out of place tucked away in the back basin. The really big yachts are in the front basin, and just next door at the very upscale Marina Botafoch are the mega-yachts. Everyone goes around quite dressed up. Evening dresses, trendy clothes and the pervasive techno-pop beats permeating the air all add to the atmosphere that is uniquely Ibizan.
So we donned our Ibiza whites and headed for town. Through the narrow pedestrian-only streets to the castle walls. Up the long ramp and in through the main gates to the tiny alleyways within full of cafes and bars. Finally to a high perch above the lower town for a wonderful outdoor dining experience. Dorado, Rack of Lamb and fresh baked bread (oven on-site). Like I said, we are happy to be here.
Comments
Vessel Name: Necessity
Vessel Make/Model: Corbin 39 Mark II Pilothouse
Hailing Port: Bayfield, Ontario, Canada
Crew: Dean Nisbett & Brian Hall
Extra:
Departed Bayfield, Ont. in 2006. New York to Azores in 2007, Azores to Galicia, Spain and down the Iberian Penninsula in 2008. Spain & Morocco in 2009. Spain-Corsica-Sardinia-Sicily-Tunisia in 2010. Tunisia-Malta-Montenegro-Croatia-Venice-Greece-Turkey, over 2,000 miles over four months, 14 [...]