S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Saturday!…More laundry, plus…..

Last night we discovered that our daughter and her sweetie have just added to their family - a golden retriever puppy that they have named REX, capital letters and all. Original, eh? It's short for Tyrannosaurus Rex because the youngest man in the house likes dinosaurs. But she, our daughter, loves goldies and from her description of him and the photos he seems like a real goodie goldie. He is even a stairs dog!

Today dawned bright and sunny and we went into the café in town to upload the edited files for the cookbook. A clean wifi connection coupled with coffee and muffins was a very pleasant way to spend a couple of hours this morning. It was fun listening to the locals chatting with the staff especially about cappuccino and mocha coffees, things that we might call designer coffees but they refer to as sissy coffees. Even after calling them that they still order them up and toddle off out the door with them. We got all the files uploaded and asked for a print ready copy.

Then it was off to Gloucester for the laundry again. A pleasant, albeit short drive and clean clothes at the end of it. 'Nuff said, yes? On our drive we were musing on the folks that we know who are participating in the same dream that we find ourselves in. Some are successful and some are not and for some the "dream" becomes the final straw and a breakup occurs. I am more and more beginning to believe that the secret, in addition to a strong level of compatibility, is flexibility. The successful couples seem to be the ones that can put the dream on hold for a bit while something important is attended to, as we did for medical reasons. We know people that take a "break" to go out on contract to make some money to feed the cruising kitty and maintain their sanity and we know others who take a job ashore for family reasons and still others who do the same just because. The secret is that both parties need to understand that they both are sensitive to the needs and dreams of the other and that they will contribute to the best of their ability. But by the same token they need to be comfortable that if something happens that says "A break is needed!" their partner won't sail off over the horizon without them.

Upon our return to the boat, the print ready file was done and we downloaded a review copy for us to check, and of course, we found a few errors, which didn't seem too bad until Barb noticed that each of the sections renumbered themselves in the document starting at page 1. I had thought to get back to work on the boat projects this afternoon but it now appears that I will still be working on trying to figure out how to overcome that little hiccup. I am hoping that it could be as easy as getting Word to start the page numbering at each section where it should continue from the previous but at this point only an experiment will tell. My concern is that Word will put in numbers but so will Lulu.

I am frustrated to say the least. If I can't fix it any future tomes will be less than the 300Mbytes since that seems to be where Word starts to writhe.


Comments